Poll: What is the most important skill of a bassist?
Poll Options
View poll results: What is the most important skill of a bassist?
melodic skill (crafting tasty melodic lines)
12 11%
speed skill (playing as fast as possible)
2 2%
toneshaping skill (making tone work in context of song)
4 4%
groove skill (finding the pocket and sitting there)
21 19%
rhythm skill (ability to make bass converse with drums)
19 18%
visual drama skill (flying kicks, posing, etc.)
5 5%
versatility skill (knowing different bass styles)
14 13%
improvisational skill (improv lines on the spot)
13 12%
gadgetry skill (knowing how to use effects)
1 1%
ensemble skill (being able to sit in with anyone)
17 16%
Voters: 108.
Page 1 of 2
So, what is the most important skill to have as a bassist? I list a few in the poll. Of these, which is of most importance to you?
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
I see no poll but I think fingerstrength has a lot to do with bass playing
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
i agree with findingmyway...and i would also say that playing with ur fingers and knowing scales and stuff (not just play the root note of power chords played by guitar) are essential for a good bass player.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Playing the right darn notes!
Schecterman's Accomplice, of the Schecter Stiletto Players Will Rule The World Club. PM Fett13 or Your41Plague12 to join.

EQ:
Schecter Stiletto Extreme 5
Yamaha RBX170
Aren't rhythmn and groove the same thing in that poll?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Arg why must you give multiple good choices! you shoulda said top 3 i picked Groove. It's the bassist's first and primary role, and too many times have i seen contemporary bassists disown the notion of the pocket... Even victor wooten saddens me with unneccessary DT'ing
I put melodic skill because it makes a song a lot more interesting.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
i think the improv skill is pretty damn important.
Member 3 of Geddy Lee Fan Club. PM timmEH or RIC4003 to join

Member of Bass militia. PM Dinkydaisy to join

Cliff Burton is my idol. R.I.P

MegaBassPlayer's band of the week: Bound For Glory
I voted versatility, you can't become a great bassist if you dont appreciate all great types of bass playing. At least that's what I think.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
i dont like this poll, my priorities are always changing. it started as technique, moved to theory, and now its melody oriented. so i guess ill check all 3?

EDIT: hmm, cant. oh well
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
You forgot the skill of just being yourself.
Quote by samlynch
nothing can beat rhcp albums. not even rhcp albums.
melodic skill (crafting tasty melodic lines)

No matter how simple the line, it should always be tasty

speed skill (playing as fast as possible)

If you're in a band that requires speed, then yes, it's important. But it has to be in time with the rest of the band.

toneshaping skill (making tone work in context of song)

Without the right tone for the right tune, what's the point?

groove skill (finding the pocket and sitting there)

Groove should be something that's automatically built into every bass player. But just because you know where the pocket is, doesn't mean you need to be just sitting there.

rhythm skill (ability to make bass converse with drums)

Absolutely!! As musicians, we should all have rhythm in every aspect of our lives. I listen to the machinery at work and walk with the rhythm.

Who gives a rats ass?

versatility skill (knowing different bass styles)

While I don't believe it's a necessity, it could very well get you different types of gigs.

improvisational skill (improv lines on the spot)

I like improv, but it needs to be the right amount at the right time.

gadgetry skill (knowing how to use effects)

If you can play bass, who really needs effects?

ensemble skill (being able to sit in with anyone)

If you want more than one paying gig, you should damn well be able to play with just about anyone.
if some1 actually votes for drama style......i'm gunna punch them in the ovaries

gadgetry skill..u mean like tom morello of audioslave? but for bass?...that would b inovative if there was some1 like that.....
Last edited by Crazy Horse at Aug 8, 2006,
Quote by Crazy Horse
.i'm gunna punch them in the ovaries

"Right in the baby maker!"

I tkink the most important thing is speech, so you can talk to da ladies after the show.
haha
Yeah, I know. This poll sucks. I started the poll. I just wanted to see how people would react to this poll. Most folks in here would rather had the option to choose more than one, but I just wanted to see where other bassists' priorities lie.

It's interesting to see how the results are evolving, and that the skills I find most important are being represented. By all means, don't stop! Kepp the numbers coming in. I want to see how this ends up in a few days...
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
I think ensemble skill would be the most important, as it requires a bit of all the options mentioned to be able to sit in with anyone and do it well. Next for me would be rythm, groove, melodic phrasing, and improv, but again, you need all of that to be able to sit in with anyone.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
i chose groove but i would've preferred to have a couple of choices. And really, you need all those things, perhaps save for the effects knowledge.

Man, i love bass so much
Timing. whatever that fits into. without timing you are nothing...sorry.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by bassnutz

Who gives a rats ass?

I give several rats asses.
well, i would say the ability to play the instrument. but thats not an option.

out of those, i would say rhe ability to improv. its fun to do 30 minute jams. makes ideas for songs. hard to do that with people my age. (yay for 40 year old neighbors to jam with)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by mangablade
Arg why must you give multiple good choices! you shoulda said top 3 i picked Groove. It's the bassist's first and primary role, and too many times have i seen contemporary bassists disown the notion of the pocket... Even victor wooten saddens me with unneccessary DT'ing

i must agree there with you..

i picked melodic skill by the way..
HUMP|de|BUMP
Quote by Bumper
I give several rats asses.

At least........7.

Stage presence is good to have, but not necessary.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Most important skill?

Timing, and the ability to play in time no matter what. I'm always tapping my feet (mentally or physically) along to what im playing, however complex my lines or other instruments lines are. Some people just cant do that and the band loses that nice "tight" sound.
Quote by Applehead
what if you are playing free time?

well duh. you need timing no matter what you're playing. free time is great, but if you cant get the right points to play and not to play (in relation to the other instruments) then it'll sound crap.

granted, if you are playing on your own, i.e. JUST bass, then maybe you could do without it. but even then to be solo youd have to have timing for the structured parts or it'll sound sloppy. you cant play free-time forever.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Timing. whatever that fits into. without timing you are nothing...sorry.

i was just going to say that, there is no where on that poll about timing. You could be the CRAPIEST bassist ever, but as long as you have timing, you could play in a band
Fender Jazz -> Line 6 Bass Podxt Live -> SWR Working Man

I know you like it
Quote by harl91
i was just going to say that, there is no where on that poll about timing. You could be the CRAPIEST bassist ever, but as long as you have timing, you could play in a band

Its like the old joke about the kid who goes to a bass lesson for 3 days, learns 3 strings and then skips the forth lesson because he got a gig. Sorta. Well, maybe I just like that joke...
Yeh fergot the most important one... HEART!
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Most of the ones you put on the poll overlap, as in you need to be able to do x to be able to do y.

Anyway, if I'm forced to choose one on the list, it'd be improvisational skills, as that implies "groove-skill", "rhythm-skill", as well as melodic, speed, tone-shaping, ensemble and versatility skills as well as theoretical knowledge and how to implement it into one's way... Pretty much everything, really.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
When it comes down to it, if you can't put on a show no one will pay to watch you. Thats all there is to it.
Page 1 of 2