Well, I would call myself a "Good" guitar, maybe even mediocre, but mainly because i cant improv. that well at all, nor do i know tons of real "Theory". I know major scales, minor scales, pentatonics, sweeps (Arpegios?), etc. But i just cant seem to understand how i would Apply it to my improvisation, Usually when i improv i jsut sit there and stay in the same major scale or something, or jsut make something completely random up.

Are there any tips on how i can do this kind of stuff better?
Play what sounds right, you can use theory to help, but some people find that restricting.
I use theory and ear, i think what key etc its in, what scales can be applied then I play what i think would sound good and pray it does, some people are just naturally good at it as well
Quote by jadefox02
Well, I would call myself a "Good" guitar, maybe even mediocre, but mainly because i cant improv. that well at all, nor do i know tons of real "Theory". I know major scales, minor scales, pentatonics, sweeps (Arpegios?), etc. But i just cant seem to understand how i would Apply it to my improvisation, Usually when i improv i jsut sit there and stay in the same major scale or something, or jsut make something completely random up.

well make something random up with those scales also try to create a part that the music revolves around (kinda like a riff)
yeah.
Well, kind of........use your licks in a "question, answer" thing. Come up with a lick, the question, and finish it off with another, the answer. I really cant explain it too well, but that's what I do for blues improv. You really just have to know your scales and feel the music.

Satriani does it a lot, as well as most blues guitarists.
Quote by jadefox02

what style are you going for?
i mean there are many different ways of improv, but usually there are differences un genres
for example, you wouldn't tackle a jazz standard the same as an Indian raga

'tis life
Quote by GardenGnome26
Well, kind of........use your licks in a "question, answer" thing. Come up with a lick, the question, and finish it off with another, the answer. I really cant explain it too well, but that's what I do for blues improv. You really just have to know your scales and feel the music.

Satriani does it a lot, as well as most blues guitarists.

That'd be called call & response
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.