my dad dropped by hawaii and bought me a piece of koa. he'll be coming in next week. i've been wanting to build something beautiful with it.
i've always wanted an lp, and the thought of a koa lp sounds nice. and maybe an f hole, but maybe not, a different model maybe if i put an f hole. i've heard that koa gives off a deeper tone i think, so this'll be my blues guitar.
i'll be buying aneck because i don't trust myself with that, any cheap places to buy a good neck?
so what are your thoughts? what should i have on my guitar? i.e color, accessories, parts. i know one of the main sounds i'll want is what i heard from cody chesnutt on chappelle's block party.
what about color? i think my best bet is to leave it as is, or add a dark burst. or if i stain it, what color stain would be best?
overall:
model: lp
color: as is
sound: blues

help me out with the materials, this'll be my first build.
oh yeah. how do i make the trim around the side of the body?
i really love koa as a tone wood, as for specs, id say a light stain because koa is pretty nice left as is, slap some seymour duncan '59s in it and you'll be set to blast out some blues
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
^^ +1

koa = clear
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I would wipe black stain into the wood, and then use whatever salvent the dye dissolves in (usualy it's alcohol) and wipe as much of the dye off as you can. That will have the same effect as when artists outline the colors with a think black line. It add definition the to grain and depending on the grain pattern it can make it look more 3d.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by CorduroyEW
I would wipe black stain into the wood, and then use whatever salvent the dye dissolves in (usualy it's alcohol) and wipe as much of the dye off as you can. That will have the same effect as when artists outline the colors with a think black line. It add definition the to grain and depending on the grain pattern it can make it look more 3d.

what's that method called? you know any sites i could find a tutorial of that on? with pics? sounds good. i'll wanna know what i'm doing and what it should look like before i do something like that.
I'm told the project guitar has pics of this method. I've used it with great results but never taken pictures. The Wood Finishing Book, and How to Build Bluegrass Mandolins both talk about this method. You really don't need pictures to know how to do it right. Just dye it black and then clean the dye off with solvints. Remember you are applying dye directly to the wood, not mixing it with whatever you are using for clearcoat.

Edit: BTW, given that you live where you do, can you get deals on Koa? I'm always interested in getting more tonewood and if you are interested in getting some and then selling it, I am interested in buying.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Aug 9, 2006,
Edit: BTW, given that you live where you do, can you get deals on Koa? I'm always interested in getting more tonewood and if you are interested in getting some and then selling it, I am interested in buying.

sorry. i don't live there anymore. i just use this location because i'd rather represent this place more than where i live now. i do know that buying it from a store on the islands is a crap load cheaper than imports to the mainland. like a whole lot. my dad's in the navy and his ship dropped by there so i took the chance and asked him. i didn't ask my dad where he got the wood but i do know theres some local wood shop in kalihi he goes to, he probably got it there.

also. what type of neck shouldi get to complete the blues tone?
BB King has a Mahogany Neck and SRV had a maple neck. Both will work just fine. Maple gives a brighter more punchy sound with a bit more bite. Mahogany adds to a rich warm full sound.
^
okay rich and warm is what i'll want.

anyone know any sites i could get a good lp build tutorial, or some diagrams for the body? i checked projectguitar and it seems they only have it the hard way, but if there's a normal way i'd rather prefer that.

so let me straighten this thing out.

this will get me my "blues/ cody chesnutt off chappelle's block party" sound? :
pickups: '59 sd's (how many? if one, where?)
neck: mahogony (what type of wood for the fretboard?)

anyone got anything better to suggest? my hopes are high on this one for me. i'll want it the best lookin and sounding as possible so cost won't be a factor. (until i actually start the project)
i got my wood.
i think i've decided to make a tele.

but i got a problem.
the dimensions of it are 4'10"x7" and an inch thick.
i know that the body should be thicker than an inch, but what's the exact thickness?

and how do you think i should join the wood? like placement wise and how to cut.

and where can i get a template for a tele body? like store-wise or some site where i could just print one out.
Do you have a good hand plane? If you don't then you need to get one or you need to let somebody else joint the wood. The bigger the hand plane, the better it is for joining.