Alright, so im looking to upgrade the pickups in my epi les paul standard. Im pretty set on getting a JB for the bridge, and covering it to kill some of the treble (plus it will look sweet) Because i play mostly modern punk/emo/poppunk stuff, and play in a band of that style. However for the neck im not so sure what to get. The Stock pup just sounds terrible. I like a clean with a little bass pop to it (Bassman anyone) but this pickup is so dark and muddy. I was thinking about a 59, but i really like single coil neck pickups, so right now im thinking a p-94 (gibson humbicker sized P-90) in the neck. Do you think this will give me a good tone for A: Classic beatles and Pink floyd and the classic rock i mess around with and B: light lead riffs that will go over my rythym. Or should i look at a different pickup?
ask a guitar tech about the electronics and setup, some pickups need to be wired in certain ways, some cant be wierd with eachother casue of resistance or some weird bull****.
I installed a JB SH4 pickup in the bridge and a Jazz SH2N in the neck of my Epi SG. I couldn't be more pleased. I can play just about any style that I want with this combo. I have an Epi Les Paul Lynyrd Skynyrd edition that I installed a set of Classic 57's in. they have a good sound but tend to be muddier than the Seymour Duncans. They do have a good classic sound.
i really like the 59, and i cant find any sound clips of a p-94 (if anyone has any please send them to me).
I just recently got done doing a quick project on my Epi sg special and I put a 59' in the bridge and it made my pos epi sound exactly how I wanted it to. It gives you that great classic PAF style sound.
Rockybo on Gwar: "What costumes? They're from fucking outer-space, you retard."
Yeah the 59 is pretty sweet. But does anyone know anything about a p-94?
I Have a P-94 and a JB In my Epiphone. It can pretty much do it all with that combo. The P-94 is the closest thing to a HB P-90 I have ever encountered, and I love it. The JB took some tweaking with the height, but it's not too hard to find the sweet spot. I would get come clips, but my amp really sucks.
Awesome, dan2002. Its cool that you thought of the exact same pickup combo i did. Alright thatnks a lot. Im going to go for it, too bad none of my local stores stock gibby pickups.
Quote by thegeoff
Im pretty set on getting a JB for the bridge, and covering it to kill some of the treble

Well JB's are knwon to be one of teh trebliest pickup ever. My tip:
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk Warthog in bridge, Condor in neck and add a coil splitter for both.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah, but im in america. So i dont know how easy it would be (or affordable) to get a swines head set. (although they sound pretty sweet).
^Yeah, but they arent too much from what i knwo and sound alot better then SD's.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Well JB's are knwon to be one of teh trebliest pickup ever. My tip:
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk Warthog in bridge, Condor in neck and add a coil splitter for both.

You would be supprised. They sound warmer and smoother in a bright guitar.. like Maple or Alder. They only sound bright in dark woods, like mahogany.. It's wierd.. but I find they are just.. really picky with what they are put in.
That's really strange, considering that a heavier wood such as mahogany resonates more and is thicker/heavier sounding.
Woah!
Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
- Thoreau

Ibanez Ex-370 For Sale!