My band and I are interested in getting some good quality recordings of our Jams, and I was hoping I could get some recomendations on the best way to do this.

We have two guitarist, a Bassist, a drummer, and a keyboardist, no Vox.

I figure it would be best to have two seperate mics for each of the guiatar Cabs, a line in to take in the Bass, a line in for the Keyboard, and eithier a Overhead condenser or a drum mic kit (possibly running through a small mixer before reaching whatever recording interface) for the drums.

I'm sure this will give us great quality, but tell me what you think.

What I really need to know is what would be the the most financial friendly way to take all those inputs at once? I have a relatively high-desktop PC, and a pretty Decent Laptop, and I was hoping to get some system that could record each input as seperate tracks on Adobe Audition onto either the PC or Laptop.

I was thinking of M-Audio Delta 1010 LT PCI Sound card.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Delta-1010-LT-PCI-Digital-Audio-System?sku=701376&src=3WFRWXX

It claims to have 10ins/10outs, and i was wondering if it would allow me to record each input as a seperate Track?

I know theres a million other ways to do this, but I was hoping to get some insight on the best way.

If you guys have any other solutions/ideas let me know.

thanks
Quote by greenday1182
i just heard the most amazing solo ever. it's in a song called "holiday" by green day. its even harder than some of blink 182s stuff!! im gonna learn this solo right now! give it a listen, its really good sounding and not too easy.
i wouldn't record through your sound card
it can actually kill it
get a decent multi-channel mixer that routes into your computer
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
Could kill it? Kill what, the Card?

Yeah I was thinking about just using a mixer and routing it to my PC, but I still only have 1/8" inputs, and wouldn't that degrade quality?
Quote by greenday1182
i just heard the most amazing solo ever. it's in a song called "holiday" by green day. its even harder than some of blink 182s stuff!! im gonna learn this solo right now! give it a listen, its really good sounding and not too easy.
well in the price range your getting into, i would invest in a studio. But if you insist on that, i would buy a 8 channel firewire mixer, and a set of like 4 mics for drums.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
I thinking Building a studio or turning a room into one is probably not a great idea, Im 17, will be leaving the house for college in a year, as will the rest of band, and a home studio would cost a couple a grand, versus the couple hundred for either the sound card or the firewire mixer, plus each band memeber buying there own mics.

If you meant buy studio time, thats a fine idea, but we would really like to have a setup to catpure all our jams and practices all the time.

Thanks
Quote by greenday1182
the delta 1010 will you give you 8 analog inputs, but only two preamps
you need a preamp for every mic youre going to be using at once.
a firepod is a much more viable idea, but more expensive. however, the firepod, mics, and mics stand and thats pretty much all you need. no mixer, no other extra crap. say 3-4 mics for the drums, 2 guitars, bass, and keyboard. thats 8. you'll probably do something seperate. you may want to wait and do the keyboards last so you can have enough open inputs to record it in stereo. all you need is software and some plugins. check out reaper, ITS FREE!!

Adam

PS

oh ya, and another reason the firepod ios like the 1010 inly better is that it is firewire, not pci. the dleta could only be used in a desktop computer, and its semipermanent. the firepod can be used with your laptop and can be switchedto other computers easily.
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Last edited by adammarshall409 at Aug 9, 2006,
Presonus Firepod is the best value. 8 mic inputs, and a few line ins I think.

You can record drums with 3 mics. You get a stereo pair of small diaphragm condensers. One goes 3 drum sticks heights above the center of the snare drum. The next goes two drum stick heights over the drummers right shoulder. Then another mic, could be condenser, but preferrably dynamic, goes infront of the bass drum, by the pedal.

Then those three mics go into the firepod, plus another 2 for guitars, then you have 3 more for whatever.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I'll tell you what my band does.

We all set up in a room, it has windows that we open and a door we open. On both sides of the room we set up acoustic mics (they are both 500$ a piece but you can get cheaper ones) and we plug them into this 8-track recorder thinger that burns a cd while you play. We open up the windows and stuff, it gives better sound quality. It is fairly decent sound quality, we are playing it live so we try hard not to mess up, but if we get a good track people think they are professional studio recordings.
You were on the right track, people here just don't seem to know what theyre talking about. You have to record through a sound card, there are very high end soundcards mind you, often reffered to as audio interfaces. The Delta 1010LT is a good choice. That and a mixer which could double in a P.A. system which could be routed to taht taht card and then you should have some pretty nice recordings, considering the preamps ont he mixer are good and the microphones are good.
Quote by take_it_t
You were on the right track, people here just don't seem to know what theyre talking about. You have to record through a sound card, there are very high end soundcards mind you, often reffered to as audio interfaces. The Delta 1010LT is a good choice. That and a mixer which could double in a P.A. system which could be routed to taht taht card and then you should have some pretty nice recordings, considering the preamps ont he mixer are good and the microphones are good.

Umm, actually, recording through a firewire or USB interface is faster, and much easier than using a soundcard. And this way you get each instrument on it's own track.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Umm, actually, recording through a firewire or USB interface is faster, and much easier than using a soundcard. And this way you get each instrument on it's own track.

Not through USB though, not even 2.0, it has a long way to go before taking over PCI in our lives, although firewire already has.
Quote by Muphin

dont talk about what you dont know please. the 1010 will record each input to its own track. no usb interface can do that for 8 tracks, and the fireiwre interface that can do that for the cheapest is like twice as much as the 1010. the delta IS an interface, people just call it a soundcard still because it is a pci card. in reality, all usb and firewire interfaces are soundcards, theyre just external.

Adam
Quote by ollie_12318
my grandma is dying and my mum wants me to play something on bass for her, any body got any suggestions?!

Quote by splinter26
another one bites the dust has a pretty cool bass line
Quote by adammarshall409
dont talk about what you dont know please. the 1010 will record each input to its own track. no usb interface can do that for 8 tracks, and the fireiwre interface that can do that for the cheapest is like twice as much as the 1010. the delta IS an interface, people just call it a soundcard still because it is a pci card. in reality, all usb and firewire interfaces are soundcards, theyre just external.

Adam

How many XLR inputs does it have? I think it only has 2. I'm saying the firewire interfaces have some added value because most studio's use a lot of microphones to record rock bands. Going direct to the sound card with a guitar isn't a good way to record it. Therefore, the 8 XLR inputs on the firepod are worth the extra cash. I do like the RME cards though.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation