Are marshall Valvestate heads any good. I play rock,blues,and metal so it has to be pretty versatile.
You could get better within that price range I'm sure.

I wouldn't touch a valve head unless it's vox, but that's just me. Of course the vox won't always be suitable for metal, so...
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
i have the marshall AVT5o not a head buts its in the same marshall valvestate category. not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. not worth THAT much money but yeah there ok.
Quote by TheAmishOne

I wouldn't touch a valve head unless it's vox, but that's just me. Of course the vox won't always be suitable for metal, so...

Yeah there are a lot better for that price.

And wtf...you wouldnt touch a vavle head unless its a Vox? I dont get it...
That much for just the head? That's pretty damn cheap. Which is it? The 50w head, or the 150w head?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by TheAmishOne

Are you talking about hybrid amps
Basically any valve amp I've ever played on never sounds good. I find the vox to be better than the rest. Thats all...
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse
i have the 50HX and its better than it gets credit for. haven't played w/ a drummer w/ it though
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Hm...50w head for $290...They're $450 new.

I guess if it's in PERFECT condition it may be alright. I'd suggest trying to talk the price down to $225-250 though. Then it would probably be worth it.

Like others have said though, there are some better alternatives. For the amount you'll spend on a good cab and the 50w AVT head, you might as well just buy a nice tube combo.

Now, if it's $290 WITH a cab included, I'd suggest jumping on that.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
no...you do not want 2 use it on the AVT cab. it is tiny and crap. It is, for those who havn't seen one, basically 2 feet by 2 feet. And it sounds terrible. Of course i am comparing it to a JCM cabinet i use with the 50HX, but still, it is bad.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Yeah...you probably won't find much better for $290. At least, nothing loud enough to drown out drums.

Try it out and DEFINETLY try to talk down the price.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
wut cab do u have?
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
Quote by TheAmishOne
Basically any valve amp I've ever played on never sounds good. I find the vox to be better than the rest. Thats all...

Basically, if your playing in bars and little clubs, gigs like that. This amp will get you through. Its versatil and loud enough to get past drums...so long as they dont have mics.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
at all my gigs we mic the amps. right now im usin a randall rg80 from 1989 but it just has to much treble its annoying.
Well if you mic it then this is def. a good amp to get. Trust me, for the price you won't be disappointed.
And if you are, you can sit there asking your self why you didn't save your money.
My Gear:
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Ibanez VBT700
Marshall Guv'nor
Marshall Echohead
Morley Tremonti Wah
Boss TU-2
Boss NS-2
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Furman SPB 8C
Boss Flange
For $290 - Or less if you can talk it down - you simply won't find something that will fit your needs better.

The Valvestates are decent. Quite a bit overpriced to start with, but still decent. And for under $300, it should work out just fine for you. Try it out a lot first and see how you like it. Be sure to play it for a while, try it at high volumes, tweak the settings, everything. If you like it, go for it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I have a marshall vs65r combo and its for sale. Sounds really good with my metal master pedal. $200 you pay shipping. Its a valvestate by the way.65 watts
Never argue with and idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!
I owned an AVT50 head for less than a month before getting my Orange so it never really got a lot of play from me, but I agree that they aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. If you're not expecting pure tube tone, they deliver a solid SS tone. If you're looking at one because you think the tube preamp will deliver tube tone, you're wrong. But for $300 it's a pretty good value.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
if you get one of the first valvestate amps (8100, or 8200 bi-chorus200) you will do just fine. get an avt or valvestate 2000 or mg and you'll regret it.

you can find a valvestate 8100, or 8200 on ebay very reasonably priced.

i would buy a used one and get it serviced before i would get a new avt...
Quote by TheAmishOne

Dude youre making no sense. You have a fnckin JCM800 and you dont like it? Or what?
^Maybe he doesn't know how to EQ an amp.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
Dude youre making no sense. You have a fnckin JCM800 and you dont like it? Or what?

he probably means hybrid or solid state
I was talking about hybrids they just didn't come out right...

WTF? I love my JCM800...I wasn't meaning that at all...

My words came out wrong. Pardon them...
~The Gear~
Schecter Hellraiser
Ibanez RG 550
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960 4x12
VHT Two/Fifty/Two
ADA-MP1
Eventide Eclipse