i'm going to be putting led's into a guitar. and i have a lot of difficulty understanding schematics, so, could some body show me a drawing or pic of what led's really look like wired up. (im putting in 4 led's with one nine-volt battery pack and miniswitch)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
i beleive it was in the stormtrooper strat thread...somewhere there i a decent pic of what you are looking for. Ill edit this post with a link if i find it (unless someone else finds it first then thanks to that guy)
Member 3 of the FINAL FANTASY VII club.

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by shredmeiser101
i'm going to be putting led's into a guitar. and i have a lot of difficulty understanding schematics, so, could some body show me a drawing or pic of what led's really look like wired up. (im putting in 4 led's with one nine-volt battery pack and miniswitch)

4 LEDs with a 9v battery and switch, huh? In series or parallel? I'm guessing series, don't know of any LEDs that can handle 9v (well, except for that red LED i was using as a battery tester yesterday... it was glowing white for god sakes, not red... blew up shortly thereafter).

anyway, you'd wire it like this.

NOTE the length of the LED's legs. The longer leg is the anode (+), and the shorter is the cathode (-). You want the + from the battery going to the switch, which then goes to the + of the first LED. the - of the first led goes to the + of the second led, - of second to + of third, - of third to + of fourth, - of fourth goes back to the battery's -. That should be about it. The switch is a standard on/off SPST switch (single pole single throw).
Last edited by SolidxSnake at Aug 8, 2006,
yeah 9 volts will need a resistor, just try different resistors until they glow a good amount but not too crazy
Heres a diagram. Test different resistor values to get the right brightness.

EDIT: Crap... Switch the LEDs around. So that the + is on the right and the - is on the left, and the longer lead is on the right and shorter is on the left.
Attachments:
LED Diagram.JPG
what battery would i use for 4 led's without a resistor?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
Quote by the snow queen
yeah 9 volts will need a resistor, just try different resistors until they glow a good amount but not too crazy

depending on the LED, 9v shouldn't be too much. If you're using 4 3v blue/green LEDs, 9v won't be enough for them to glow like they would at 3v. It'll be split up to around 2.25 volts to each LED. They'll glow, but not as bright. If you're using 1.7-2v red LEDs however, expect them to be very bright, burn out faster, or explode on the throw of the switch

btw, possibly the greatest site to order LEDs:

www.lsdiodes.com
^^well theres a diagram for ya. but as SolidxSnake mentioned with his led blowing up...u need to put a resistor in, best place would prolly be after the switch and b4 the first LED. I use 2.2k resistors and get a good brightness (about that of the led in pretty much any battery power indicator in small electronics)

EDIT: wow a lot of ppl posted in the time it took me to type this

A recent study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
Quote by ronoh55
^^well theres a diagram for ya. but as SolidxSnake mentioned with his led blowing up...u need to put a resistor in, best place would prolly be after the switch and b4 the first LED. I use 2.2k resistors and get a good brightness (about that of the led in pretty much any battery power indicator in small electronics)

OP, what kind of LEDs will you be using? With that information, you can use ohms law (I believe...) to find what kind of resistor you need.

As in, with the LEDs you're getting, what is their rated voltage and amperage? Most LEDs have an amperage of 21mA, so if you can get us the rated voltage, the math will be easy.

Again, it depends on the LEDs for what kind of battery you need... 9v is easy to stick with anyway as they're compact.
would the 9v be good enough for a good noticeable glow? (with 3v led's)
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
and would the resistor go before or after the switch?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by shredmeiser101
would the 9v be good enough for a good noticeable glow? (with 3v led's)

Should be fine. Can't find out until you try though

Resistor can go from the 9v->switch, switch->first led, or last led->9v. it can technically go anywhere, but it really doesn't matter. It's a closed circuit afterall.
Quote by SolidxSnake
OP, what kind of LEDs will you be using? With that information, you can use ohms law (I believe...) to find what kind of resistor you need.

As in, with the LEDs you're getting, what is their rated voltage and amperage? Most LEDs have an amperage of 21mA, so if you can get us the rated voltage, the math will be easy.

Again, it depends on the LEDs for what kind of battery you need... 9v is easy to stick with anyway as they're compact.

well..for me i dont remember the voltage atm but the amperage was 21mA

the majority of LEDs that i have (which are mostly rather bright high powered ones) require 3V, so three of them hooked up in series with a 9V battery works perfectly. if you wanted to do 4 with a 9V without a resistor, you'd need to find 2.25V LEDs, which i'm guessing are not very common....
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
Sir Shoelace is a sexy, sexy man.
will series work though? It would be easier for me to wire it that way because i have limited space to run the led's through. What was the exact resistor i would need for 4 3v led's with a 9v battery again?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
For 4 LED's in series you probably won't need a resistor. The only disadvantage I see with series is if one LED dies, they all go out. And then you gotta find which one is dead and replace it. Not so bad with 4, but if it was like 50, it'd be a biatch to find.
These go to eleven...
so i definitely won't need a resistor?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Wire 4 LED's in series with a battery. If you think it's too bright, use a resistor.
These go to eleven...
no, you shouldnt need a resistor. remember that each led is a resistor. testing with only one led, verses the 4 you plan on using isnt an accurate way to say they will all blow up. like sir-shoelace said, 3 leds makes the eqaution work perfectly, and with 4 you wouldnt need a resister; if anything you'd have to amp it up, but i wouldnt worry about that. good luck.

Bow down to the kid who aced physics
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
ur guitar doesnt need the thing man its find the way it is love your guitar and it will love u man
what?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT
Quote by Asian_Jesse
ur guitar doesnt need the thing man its find the way it is love your guitar and it will love u man

Quote by shredmeiser101
what?

See why school (specifically grammar) is important children?
Quote by Asian_Jesse

Okay, i've read that... *counts on fingers*... uhh... more than once and i'm just starting to know what you're saying

He's saying your guitar doesn't need The Thing (orange dude from the Fantastic Four) to find it's way to love, and that he loves you.

I think...
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
still, wtf?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace

THE PIT