ive been playing roughly three years i know about alternate picking and what not and i use it all the time but ive been trying to use it all the time now even when doing chordal things. were i normally would be doing down picking this is makign me pretty sloppy atm but im guessing once i get use to it it will come out much cleaner then before. but i also need to get better at string skipping and different ways to picking dureing string skipping things ive noticed i lack on that too.
I've only been playing for two years but I can tell you that string-skipping while alternate/tremolo picking is nearly impossible. I guess someone like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai might be able to do it under certain circumstances. Anyway just mute the strings that you want to skip with you left hand and un-mute (lol) them when you want them to ring out I guess.

As for chords I mainly just use octaves or normal 5ths (power chords) with that though...
Hmmm, This is weird, because I can alternate pick and string skip fine, not extremely fast, but clean at a moderate speed. I guess it is just practice. Check out John Petruccis's Rock Discipline.
~Long live the 6-string~
i dont mean tremeloing the string skip normally i would completly downpick any riff that was skipping a string im trying to get better at doing alternte picking because its cleaner.
yeah rock discipline is the way to go
its on google video and youtube i think?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
yeah rock discipline is the way to go
its on google video and youtube i think?

A few clips are there I believe.

I've only been playing for two years but I can tell you that string-skipping while alternate/tremolo picking is nearly impossible.

No it is not. It just takes practice.

And as for alternate picking while playing chords. You just have to get used to it and used to muting unwanted strings.