Yes. I know. I said the bad word "MG." But I'm really curious about this. I've heard of people using PODXT Live's as preamps with MG's and that it makes the tone quite a bit better. How much better though? Would it make it decent enough to use for gigging or even band practice?

Yes, I know, I should go try one out. My problem is that the nearest Line 6 dealer is 3 hours away and I don't feel like dropping a ton of cash on gas to go try out something if it isn't going to do what I want.

Now, no matter what I'm saving for a better amp. I'm looking at $400 in pedals, or $400 for the PODXT Live. If the POD isn't going to help at all with tone for the next year or so until I buy a high end tube amp, I may just buy individual pedals.

Yes, the POD has tons of effects on it and that's just great - I'd like to have a ton of effects around. But, I'd like just as much to put that same amount of cash into the real pedals that I'd use forever.

So, will the POD make the tone on my MG any better?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Xenn, dont do it. C'mon, I know you can get much better with $400.

EDIT: If you tell me what you play, I'll search for a good amp
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Aug 8, 2006,
^Such as?

electrik was happy with his PodXT Live when he bought his, if I do recall properly....

If it's good enough for him, it's definitely worth the money.

It'll probably make it better, but of course, modelers go best with FRFR amps such as keyboard amps or PAs.

Just plug into the PA for band practice/gigs, and use headphones for bedroom practice. You can use the MG as a monitor until you can find a decent keyboard amp. Roland KC-350 FTW. (I think those are around 400 USD)
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Last edited by sg-rocker173 at Aug 8, 2006,
^Xenn doesnt have a tube amp, electrik does.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
^I don't think electrik had one when he initially bought it.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

Yes, I know the actual pedals will be better, but, if getting the POD will make my MG useable for the next year and then still work fine with a nice tube amp, I'll go for that. Yes, I know that it will only sound 95% as good as the real pedals, but if it makes my MG useable as a beater/backup amp, why not?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Eh... but remember that the POD is modeler pedal, just like any Line 6 product.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Hahaha, that was an unexpected mentioning. Umm, yeah I had an XT bean, non live. I used it solely for headphone practise while in front of the computer and for silent recording. It was pretty cool for that. However, I could never get it to sound right with any of the amps I owned during the time I had it. That said, with the XTL, I've heard people get some great tones out of it, in front of an amp, and also just for effects, though I was never able to achieve it with the bean.

Now, with your MG, it will give it a better sound sure, and you'll get a big selection of sounds and effects, but you can only polish a turd so much. I'd rather use it with headphones by far, if you don't need an amplified sound.

It's a good unit to have though, it can do a lot of stuff, so it won't be a waste of money, as you could use it with future investments as well.

What I'd suggest though, if you end up deciding you want to get it, is get it used, on ebay or somthing, so you save some money and can use that towards a new amp.
i think the podxt live is a great tool, especially if you are interested in recording/demoing.

it will help your mg sound better than using pedals. Most pedals only sound great with a good tube amp anyway (overdrives etc), and theyll probably just muddy up your MG's tone even more so.

if those are your optoins, go for the POD. THe POD also sounds great if you do plan to buy a new amp (a nice tube perhaps), throw the pod in the FX loop and use it to house all your effects presents, it sound great in that regard live.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Thanks for the info Electrik. Would you suggest individual pedals over the POD for use with a tube amp when I get one? Would the POD sound good with a tube amp, or would it drain tone?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
400 could get u a nice combo tube amp...ebay my friend...
Fender CIJ Mustang
Fender Jagstang
Fender MIM Custom Telecaster
Fender MIM Strat
Peavey Classic 50 2x12
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Fender PT-100 Tuner
Boss SD-1
EH Small Clone
Vox Wah
Digitech Digidelay
^+1
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I don't use Ebay. I know, there are great deals there, but there are also a hell of a lot of scams.

So, it looks like the POD will be my best option. Thanks for the advice everyone!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
It isn't hard to spot a scam, but since you dont wanna go used,

yeah, go for the POD (although a Blues Jr goes for about $400)
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by electrik
Hahaha, that was an unexpected mentioning.

Well, you're pretty much known around here for good advice and an ear for nice tone.

Xenn: You seem to be in the same boat as me, low budget, looking for a nice sound. Doesn't need to be a 10,000 USD rig, but something really nice for the money.

400 dollars worth of pedals will get you 3-5 effects, depending on the effect/quality/etc.

A B Stock or C Stock MFX processor on www.music123.com will be cheaper, and pack the same amount of effects. Personally, I'd much rather have recording/practicing/demoing possiblities, as well as a huge number of amp/cab modelings and effects to play around with for home practice, instead of some slightly more desired pedals. Take into consideration how important these effects are. Are you going to be applying a phaser to every song you play? Or just one or two? Do you need to throw a chorus pedal on for 5 songs, or just for a small verse?

Honestly, I think the MFX would be better for you, since you're running on a low budget. Unless you're using these effects on every song countless times (Which often can lead to a distaste in music, you have to vary things up ;D), then go with the MFX. The only thing you probably won't like is the wah. :P
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

Quote by Xenn99
Thanks for the info Electrik. Would you suggest individual pedals over the POD for use with a tube amp when I get one? Would the POD sound good with a tube amp, or would it drain tone?

If you stick it in the effects loop it should work fine for delay and modulation effects. There are lots of guys that do that with their tube amps. But for things up front like OD and wah, you'd probably want seperate pedals.

Oh, and about ebay. There are a lot less scams than you think, and you won't get scammed if you buy from guys with lots of positive feedback, and good english.
^Will the Wah and Overdrive still work ok in the effects loop? After the $400 for the Pod I wouldn't have much cash to spare, so an extra wah and overdrive would be out of the question for a while.

Also, would different types of distortion (regular distortions, Big Muff Pi distortions, etc.) still work in the effects loop as well?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Just put the POD in front of the amp. They designed it to either go before the preamp or act as a preamp. Personally, I would just run the PODs output to the Effect In on the back and skip th e MG preamp. The POD would put the modulation effects at the end essentially acting as an effect loop.
Quote by Xenn99
^Will the Wah and Overdrive still work ok in the effects loop? After the $400 for the Pod I wouldn't have much cash to spare, so an extra wah and overdrive would be out of the question for a while.

Also, would different types of distortion (regular distortions, Big Muff Pi distortions, etc.) still work in the effects loop as well?

No, they wouldn't work in the effects loop.

But with your MG, it doesn't matter. You'd probably want to bypass all of its preamp anyways, so you'd want to either plug it into the effects return, or plug it upfront while the amp is clean.
Xenn, you might want to look into the Boss GT-8. From what i've heard the amp models aren't quite as good, but the effects are better than the POD. The GT-8 also has the 4-cable thing, which allows you to use effects before the preamp and in the loop. But for now, regardles of what you get, just plug it into the effects return on your MG.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
So, the GT-8 would allow me to use the FX Loop, as well as plug into the input on the amp?

Now, with using the POD in the FX Loop, will the wah and overdrive just not work at all, or will they just not sound as good as when plugged into the front? What other effects wouldn't work like this?

Some of the main pedals I was looking at were Wah's, distortion pedals, and the Big Muff Pi. If I can't use any of those with the POD plugged into the FX Loop, I probably will just go for the actual pedals and deal with bad tone until I buy a nice tube amp.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Just use it in front of your MG for now.

You'll need it in the effects loop when you want to use your amps tone and distortion, and use the effects only on the processor. If you want distortion, cab modelling etc, you just hook up Guitar > MFX > Amp.

So treat it like a pedal for now, worry about the other configurations when you get a tube amp.
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

I think what would work best is putting it in front of your MG for now, and when you buy a tube amp, just buy the Big Muff and wah separately and whack the POD into the effects loop for modulation, delay etc.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music