lay it down flat and solid... everyones opinion plz....

if i were to be starting out on guitar as of now, what would be priority to learn

example:
1. scales (list of scales to learn first through last)
2. picking technique
3. actual notes
4. coordination
5. etc.

possibly list time spent on techniques

hopefully you get what i mean and ANY response would be appreciated

e-mail me if necessary at -------- ultguitaraxeviper@yahoo.com

THNX AXEVIPER
Well first learn the 5 basic chords, C A G E and D and then try some major scales and figure out how chords are constructed from the major scale. Practice picking technique while learning the scales. Get a book like The Complet Idiot's Guide to Music Theory it's cheap and it explains what makes chords and scales blah blah and it's easy to understand and will get that out of the way.
First learn your basic chords, then go into notes, and learn all the notes of the first position. While you're learning that, practice picking technique. Then move onto scales and more in depth picking techniques. Go from there
Scords, learn all the notes on strings in first position, then learn some simple songs. i reccomend a beginners book, then hearn powerchords, learn to read tabs, and learn some easy songs.
Scales arent the thing to be worrying about if your just starting.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Learn first position notes, barre/power chords, major and minor scales, and these chords: C Cmaj7 D Dmin E Emin E7 Emin7 F Fmin G (both forms of it) G7 A Amin A7 Amin7 B7
split your time into say 3 areas learning chords firstly open chords then thn when you have them off move to barr chords, scales start with pentatonics and lastly combine the 2 into learning songs. as for technique playing and changing requires technique, playing scales improves technique aswell alternate picking playing cleanly and fluidly and also your timing. try that for starters
ok, on the scales thing...i have this poster that shows all the scales and finger positions etc. but it only shows fingerings for the end of the neck, are the fingerings it shows just asuming you are starting on the note you want anywhere on the neck?

example: <1> is the primary note

-----1-----2---------4
------------2-----3--4
------------2----------4
------1-----------3----4
------1-----2----------4
-----<1>----2-----3------

and again.....hopefully you understand what im saying

THNX AXEVIPER
ok, i can explain what i mean a little better

this is the major scale:

--1--2--------4-------------------
-----2---------4-------------------
--1-------3---4-------------------
--1-------3---4-------------------
--1--2--------4-------------------
--<1>--2--------4-------------------

now if the <1> is the root note, does that mean if you started playing this scale on the 1st fret, it would be like an f major scale? or if you started <1> on the 5th fret, would it be the A major scale?

THNX again!!!! AXEVIPER
^-- yes, I think you already understand it. It's just the boxed position of the scale.. you can apply that to anywhere on the fretboard, as you already stated. If you want to extend your scales, you might want to look into how the pattern goes on the whole neck instead of just that boxed area. It just opens your mind up a little if you were to improvise.
"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing."
Last edited by scribbles at Aug 13, 2006,
Quote by scribbles
If you want to extend your scales, you might want to look into how the pattern goes on the whole neck instead of just that boxed area. It just opens your mind up a little if you were to improvise.

couple questions bout that:
1. extend my scales? do you mean like onto other things like blues, pentatonic, minor, etc.?

2. "you might want to look into how the pattern goes on the whole neck," is it different on other places of the neck?

3. "just that boxed area," as in what boxed area?

sorry i didnt understand every bit from ya scribbles, it would be greatly appreciated if u could explain a little bit more.

THNX VERY MUCH AXEVIPER