Ok, so I'm getting a new guitar. It's either going to be a Fender Highway One Stratocaster or an Ibanez RG1570. I play anything from blues to metal, so do you suggest playing metal with a blues guitar or playing blues with a metal guitar. Also, do you suggest something classic, or something cutting edge. It's basically a decision of whether I want a tone like Eric Johnson/Tom Morello, or Satch/Vai. I tried them both out, but TBH I was more impressed with the Stratocaster. Which guitar will suit me best, not just personal opinions?
Ibanez ftw

that's my opinion could always put in a blues pup
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
If you are looking to get a really good guitar that is versitile, I would suggest the HSS highway 1. It has a Hum Bucker in the bridge for playing metal, and it has 2 single coils in the neck and middle for everything else, it is by far one of the most versitile guitars in that Price Range.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1
Going fat is an option, but the Strat just seems like a better overall choice to me. I don't know why.
Strat. If you get the fat strat you could put in an EMG and get great metal tones along with blues tones from the single coils.

JACKSON

AND YNGWIE UNLEASHES THE FOCKING FURY ON YOU FOR SPELLING HIS NAME WRONG!!!!!!
David Gilmour has EMGs and a great tone out of his strat. Not exactly metal, but a great tone none the less. I would fancy an Iron Maiden tone. Hot Rails would do the trick.
Quote by mikeman
David Gilmour has EMGs and a great tone out of his strat. Not exactly metal, but a great tone none the less. I would fancy an Iron Maiden tone. Hot Rails would do the trick.

I had a strat at one point with the David Gilmour EMGs, I liked the tone. but one thing I have to say if you think you will sound like Dave with the EMGs is you wont you wont sound anything like Dave, his sound is mostly attributed to his MASSIVE stage rig.

but try em if you can, you might like em.
'11 Gibson LP Jr.
'07 Gretsch 5120
'69 Tele
'10 Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin
'03 Blueridge Dreadnought
'02 Custom Martin D-28
Premier Twin-8
Fender Hot Rod Dlx
Boss SD-1