Page 1 of 2
ok i don't want to start "drama" but me and my friend are having a debate about this...

do you think say a gibson SG standard is worth the grand that they sell it for?
or do you think you're paying for the name more than the quality?
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
hey if you really want an sg then you should just get an epiphone cause those have gibson pickups and plays nice the only problem is the nexk is made of different wood so the neck is heavier then the body
Depends on the guitar. I don't see the why the LP is SO much more than the SG. I know because of the thicker bodies, neck shape and the veneers, but they should only be about 500-600 more than the SG. Mostly of the name, but yeah the SG Standard is definitelt worth it. The Special IMO sucks balls.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Umm, thats a load of crap, well its not but it is, if that makes sense, they are great guitars, they are also expensive as feth, BUT there are worse out there for the same price, any LTD sig is usually equipped with an LFR and EMH HZs, however gibson (talking SG standards/specials LP standards/studios, explorers, Vs etc, not the 1960s or whatever other crap they have) are quality, unless you're unlucky you'll have a good mahogany body, nice hardware and pick-ups, with room to mod some more if you want, i personally think the SGs are a great price, but LPs are a bit expensive (studios are ok too)
A used gibson is almost always worth it. Some of the new ones are too, as long as you play the one you're going to buy as QC isn't so hot recently over at gibson.
A Les Paul Supreme is definately worth the money, I could blow four grand on something worse...
If you really can afford a Gibson, go for it, they're definately worth it. Although it may be smarter to buy the Epiphone clone and just use Gibson pickups.
Quote by mikeman
A Les Paul Supreme is definately worth the money, I could blow four grand on something worse...

What? Like a nice vacation and a custom built guitar by a luthier that would be better?

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of Gibsons. I've tried quite a few, and the ONLY one I found to be worth the price tag was a nice Faded Mahogany LP for $850. I tried a bunch of LP's on that same day (including a LP Standard and an LP Classic) and the Faded mahogany LP sounded better, played better, and overal just felt better. It was worth the price. Everything other Gibson I tried, however, wasn't worth anywhere near the price tag.

The SG Standard may be worth the price tag. I haven't tried one, so I can't comment on it. The SG Specials and Special Fadeds, however, are a disgrace to guitars in general.

You know something is wrong when a $150 Washburn not only plays better, but also sounds better through an MG than an $800 Faded Special Gibson SG does through a Vox Valvetronix.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
This is pretty much the same thing as with strats...
Why pay like 1500 bucks for an american strat when you can get a highway 1 and upgrade it to make the total come up to be less.

I like gibsons, and I owned one for a little bit. It was the faded SG which was actually pretty sweet even with the stock pickups. I think you can do better for the price though.

If you're willing to pay that much for a gibson, then check out the vintage Ibanez copies. From what i've seen and heard, they're as good as their gibson counterparts.
Do not worry if you have built your castles in the air. They are where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
- Thoreau

Ibanez Ex-370 For Sale!
If you can afford it and are willing to pay for it....then yes, it's worth it...

If you cant afford it and are still bitter about it, nope, not worth it at all.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

i dont think any Gibson is worth the money..its all name..id say go with a Ltd Viper-400
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
my gibson studio i find sounds good for the money. But my friend has the exact same guitar and nothing modified but i find his to have a nice sound and came with alot better set up. i guese some are hit and miss.
Co-Founder of the I Am Canadian Club, pm me or Mantiscabinet to join

My gear:

Gibson les paul studio
line 6 spider 112
washburn X12 with zakk wylde emgs
2004 pearl protone drum set
The guy who said its the same with strats, the best regular (not custom shop, not vintage, not relic etc) are about £400 cheaper than the average price for gibsons of about £1000, and also
LP standard - over £1000
standard Strat - £219 from GAK.co.uk (£400 from my local guitar shop)
Les paul Custom - about £2000
American strat - about £6-700
Its worth the price if its the right guitar for you.

Alot of idiots on this forum don't seem to be able to recognise that when buying a guitar you go with what feels best with you, not a spec list and comments largely from kids who merely reiterate the general, uninformed opinion of other kids.
a well set up gibson is worth the money. when i bought my new LP standard i didn't look too hard at the action and realised when i got it home that it needed a pro set up, especially the nut which was way too high. so it cost me another £30 on top of the grand or so that i paid in the first place.

so i ended up with a guitar that i am very happy with, but i would have expected gibson to have paid closer attention to basic things like set up before the guitar left the factory. i also have two fenders which i bought new, the set up on those was perfect.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by numbfinger
i dont think any Gibson is worth the money..its all name..id say go with a Ltd Viper-400

I have played that Viper and I currently own a Gibson SG Special Faded.
You know why I own the Gibson instead of the Ltd? Because when I play, I can feel my SG vibrating all along the neck and all over the body. The thing resonates like no other guitar I've ever laid my hands on. The Viper on the other hand felt dead compared to my SG.
I guess that Gibson just uses better quality wood than Ltd because I'd never trade my SG for a Ltd, Washburn, PRS SE or whatever!

EDIT :

Quote by TedZilla
Its worth the price if its the right guitar for you.

Alot of idiots on this forum don't seem to be able to recognise that when buying a guitar you go with what feels best with you, not a spec list and comments largely from kids who merely reiterate the general, uninformed opinion of other kids.

I agree totally.
Last edited by JorisBlack at Aug 9, 2006,
I prefer the PRS SE models to both epiphone and Gibson. My friend has a SG and i would rather play a cactus than that guitar again where as the PRS SE's are as cheap as the epiphone and a far better build quality
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
is it cuz you cant afford it. it just sounds like you just dont have the money.

Anyways, as people said, it aint worth it if you dont have the money...., to be honest....., and if you do of course it'll be worth it. At my guitar store, there is a stack full of gibson les pauls people just look at them and never turn a blink at them again maybe due to the price tags on this suckers.
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Umm, thats a load of crap, well its not but it is, if that makes sense, they are great guitars, they are also expensive as feth, BUT there are worse out there for the same price, any LTD sig is usually equipped with an LFR and EMH HZs, however gibson (talking SG standards/specials LP standards/studios, explorers, Vs etc, not the 1960s or whatever other crap they have) are quality, if you're lucky you'll have a good mahogany body, nice hardware and pick-ups, with room to mod some more if you want, i personally think the SGs are a great price, but LPs are a bit expensive (studios are ok too)

Fixed it for ya. And an LTD/ESP the same price as a Gibson>Gibson.
Gibson are generally expensive..but if u hv the cash ,then purchase the LP Supreme or Sg supreme..they're worth the money. unless there's a gibson SE ,it would be ex .. PRS SE models are also worth it.. furthermore ,it's cheaper
erased
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
ppl who say LP's are just a "novelty" have never owned one. i didn't realize being the most highly used rock guitar ever was a bad thing...but hey what do i know.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Just play the guitar and pick the one you like best. If you like it, it's worth the money
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
To the people saying that most of the people here are just "reiterating" what others have said, I agree. Not only on th "anti-Gibson" side, but also the "pro-Gibson" side. Both sides are just typing up the same damn speeches that always get used by their "side" in these arguments.

I'd just like to say that not only can I afford a Gibson, but I was looking at buying one for a long time. My most visited site was www.gibson.com - not UG. But, after trying all of the Gibsons that I did, and being disappointed by all but one, I changed my mind and looked at other brands.

I don't know if I tried a bunch of duds and one good one, or what. I'd like to try more to get an even better opinion on them though.

Also, JorisBlack, you definetly got a good SG faded Special. The one I tried just felt, and sounded dead. Absolutely no resonance. My Washburn, however, feels the same as your SG Faded Special. It resonates beautifully, which is why I love it so much.

Like others have said, Gibson is very hit and miss. As is Epiphone in my experience. The one faded mahogany Gibson LP I tried leaves me hopeful that there are great Gibson's out there that are worth the price tag. The same goes for Epi's I've tried. I've tried out some amazing Epi's, but also some that I wouldn't take for free.

Topic creator, try as many Gibsons, Epi's, ESP's, Washburns, etc. as possible. Go to guitar center and just try evey guitar that catches your eye. Pick what feels and sounds best to you.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99

You know something is wrong when a $150 Washburn not only plays better, but also sounds better through an MG than an $800 Faded Special Gibson SG does through a Vox Valvetronix.

ha ha, true that. my X50 which cost be a bit over 350 (with a pup change) and it will compete with a gibson SG supreme (3 grand)

it was funny, the guy who has the SG was trying to make up an excuse of why his was better. he came up with "your guitar is awesome, but theres something about the gibson i like better"

i didnt hassle him too much. he was letting me stay at his place, and gave me booze.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by bonchie1
ppl who say LP's are just a "novelty" have never owned one. i didn't realize being the most highly used rock guitar ever was a bad thing...but hey what do i know.

I may not "own" one, but I've certainly played one. It may just be my taste, but they're not as good as everyone says they are.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Personally I love my SG and like others said, the Anti-Gibson movement seems to be in full force all over this site so just disregard them. After all, who will you listen to. A bunch of 14 year old kids, or the pros (or youself, of course.)?
Quote by wilty00
Personally I love my SG and like others said, the Anti-Gibson movement seems to be in full force all over this site so just disregard them. After all, who will you listen to. A bunch of 14 year old kids, or the pros (or youself, of course.)?

That's completely ridiculous. The fact that many of the "pro's" use Gibson means nothing, and it certainly doesn't make them great guitars. Many of the "pro's" use triple rectifiers, despite them being mediocre amps and incredibly overpriced.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
That's completely ridiculous. The fact that many of the "pro's" use Gibson means nothing, and it certainly doesn't make them great guitars. Many of the "pro's" use triple rectifiers, despite them being mediocre amps and incredibly overpriced.

What do you mean the fact that the pro's use Gibson means nothing? They could pick ANNNNYYYY guitar to play and they choose Gibson. Not Epiphone, not Agile or Ibanez (less Satch and Vai).
I own three and find them to be reliable, sturdy, built well, sound great right out of the box, inntonate very nicely and look damn good doing it. They're made of the best woods and materials and yes, are made in the USA. American workers arent cheap hence the price of the retail.
I feel they're worth (almost) every nickel.
Not to say that other guitars cant have all the above features at a cheaper price...I just choose to own the best
It's not all people who will like Gibson guitars, but if you like the warm smooth tone mixed with a slice of agressive energi you need a Gibson Les Paul. The rich and fat tone can't be compared. No one can make a Les Paul like Gibson that's a fact. If you are looking for a cutting edge and a powerfull sound and still have the rich tone you got to go Gibson SG.

But if you want a bright, clean sound you can't use Gibson solid body guitars at all. At least I wouldn't. But that's were Fenders come in handy
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
hey... i remember you making a thread like this in the pit and i told you to bring it here..lol
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
Quote by demea
What do you think??????

Oh that's heaven!!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Gibsons a certainly worth a lot, they have better materials and craftmanship than most other guitars, but i think some a quite overpriced.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Quote by alex_haeni
Gibsons a certainly worth a lot, they have better materials and craftmanship than most other guitars, but i think some a quite overpriced.

I should have put that in my post. I think some models are definitly overpriced. Like the reissues for instance or the Jimmy Page models. They're nice and true to spec, but for those prices who gives a crap. When I hit the powerball, I'll buy one.
The Standards probably should be priced like the Classics, the Classics should be about 200.00 less and the studio should be around a G.
Page 1 of 2