Ok, here's the deal. I have an Epiphone G-400 and will very soon buy a Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb. I want pickups that will give me the whole package, good harmonics, crystal clear cleans, LOTS of distortion, good sustain, and for them to just let everything come through. I play progressive shredding stuff like Dream Theater, Steve Vai, etc. Please tell me some good pickups to buy.
Quote by TweekGuitar
They are not heavy metal. They are pussy metal. They worship god.
what's your budget, and are you in europe or the usa, or elsewhere?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My budget is unlimited. If they're expensive I'll just save up. I'm in the U.S.
Quote by TweekGuitar
^ aye. or equivalent boutique pickups from the states- lollar, wolfetone, high order, wcr, etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Are Dimarzios any good? Because a lot of the people that I like (Vai, Petrucci, Satriani) use them.
Quote by TweekGuitar
Quote by i_am_jimi
Are Dimarzios any good? Because a lot of the people that I like (Vai, Petrucci, Satriani) use them.

I think you answered your own question.

After saying all that, would you believe anyone who said "No, DiMarzios are the worst pickups EVAR!!!111!"?
Hi, I'm Peter
^ but vai etc. will be getting theirs handwound unlike the machinewound ones us plebs who buy them in the shops have to put up with, pete.

dimmys are alright, but you can get a lot better, IMO. and if you're in the UK or europe, a lot better for a lot less cash. In the USA, granted, the dimmys are worse, but at least are cheaper.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well what would be some good Dimarzios for my style then? And would they be better than the boutique ones?
Quote by TweekGuitar
^ no. at least, not in my opinion. the boutique ones will own them.

a similar analogy would be a fender american strat (mass-produced) compared to a master-built custom shop model.

EDIT: of course, you have to decide, is it worth putting $300 worth of pickups into an epi worth not much more than that... and what amp do you have?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ but vai etc. will be getting theirs handwound unlike the machinewound ones us plebs who buy them in the shops have to put up with, pete.

He's playing through an Epiphone G400...he won't notice the difference

Anyway, give this guy a try. He's a bluesman, but he'll customwind pickups for anyone, and if you don't like them, send them back for a rewind or a refund. www.sdpickups.com
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm in the process of modding my SG to make it nicer. I'm upgrading all the hardware and making it really nice. I mean it has nice wood and stuff, so I figure that it'll be great with a few upgrades. I'm going to buy a Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb combo in the near future. I'm asking about pups for the future when I have money again. And also, could you give me some specific boutique pickups instead of just companies?
Quote by TweekGuitar
don't rule out good ol' seymour duncan. that's what I've got in my axe, and I like them hellz lots. the alnico II pro has amazing cleans. so does the pearly gates, but the alnico II is amazing. for distortion... meh, some people like the JB, some don't. It's love/hate. ir don't get a bridge pickup from duncan. idk, I just really like the A2P. only like $100, too.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-Alnico-II-Pro-Pickup-with-Gold-Cover?sku=301059
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Anyway, give this guy a try. He's a bluesman, but he'll customwind pickups for anyone, and if you don't like them, send them back for a rewind or a refund. www.sdpickups.com

aye, that guy too, I left him out of my list of USA boutique guys, I always forget someone.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by i_am_jimi
I'm in the process of modding my SG to make it nicer. I'm upgrading all the hardware and making it really nice. I mean it has nice wood and stuff, so I figure that it'll be great with a few upgrades. I'm going to buy a Mesa/Boogie Rect-O-Verb combo in the near future. I'm asking about pups for the future when I have money again. And also, could you give me some specific boutique pickups instead of just companies?

well, i'd go with pierce's suggestion of the Miracle Man. Thing is, a lot of the boutique pickups are custom wound, so you pretty much tell them what tone you're after, and they'll wind it for you. I think WCR do a shredder, and a hercs, that might be worth a look too, and wolfetone do the timberwolfe.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i haven't tried the x2n, but the dimebucker is pretty crappy...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about the Bareknuckle Warpig, is that better than the Miracle Man?
Quote by TweekGuitar
Quote by i_am_jimi
What about the Bareknuckle Warpig, is that better than the Miracle Man?

depends what you're after. the warpig is more chugga chugga, and very modern/death metal sounding, the miracle man has more of an 80's edge, and would be better for shredding.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What about Swineshead, are they any good?
Quote by TweekGuitar
^ yes, very. Not just as good as BK, but then they are half the price. Amazing for the cash- about the best value you can get in Europe, that's for sure.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What Swineshead pickups would be good for my sound?
Quote by TweekGuitar
^ i'm guessing either the venom or warthog for the bridge, maybe a runaway for the neck?

if you do decide to go with swineys, I'd email them to see. Jon bell will be able to answer you, he knows more about his own pickups than I do, lol.

also, if it hasn't already been mentioned, I'd wait until you get a new amp- it may have enough distortion without getting super hot pickups, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?