A big thunderstorm passed over my house a couple hours ago and knocked the power out for a while. My amp was plugged in, but off. Later, once the power was back, I was playing, then started to hear a lot of crackling on the clean channel. I turned it off, figuring it was from the occasional lightning in the distance.

About an hour later, I started it back up and was playing again, and there was a power surge which made the sound and lights on the amp fade in and out. Then the power went completely out for about 2 minutes and came back on.

The amp was just plugged into a wall outlet - no power strip or surge protector. I can't turn it on now because it's late, so I can't tell if the sound is messed up.

Is there damage that can be caused from stuff like this?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
It can fry your amp just like a tv or vcr. You should have it plugged into a power bar.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Yes, it said in my manual to unplug it as well, but I didn't think to.

Oh well. If it's fried I guess I'll just have to get a new amp. The MG's still under warranty, so I'll get a full refund if it's f*cked up.

If it's not, I'll plug it into a power strip.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^You can try and say it just randomly combusted.

Solid state amps are senstive like that...a tube amp can take alot of crap like that. Tubes are tough.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
As a matter of fact, if your's is SS, it can actually explode with flames if you do it right .
The crackling on the Clean channel just maybe natural MG Clean tone. ok but ya i un plug mine during storms unless its plugged into a strip cuz i dont need my gear getting fried
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
^No, the crackling was different from the usual beautiful hum on my MG's clean channel.

As far as I can tell, there isn't any damage. What should I look for besides noise that shouldn't be there? I tested both channels (although at really low volume) and there wasn't any crackling/flames of doom/etc. Is there anything else I should look for?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
anything smell bad?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Nope. No bad smell and it sounds normal...
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
wait so it's not making noise anymore?
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by Xenn99
Nope. No bad smell and it sounds normal...

bummer man, better luck nextime.

J/k, glad to hear it's not dead. You really should get a surge protector or something. Won't protect against a lightning strike, but will stop those spikes that can happen when the power goes off and on. I lived in NYC while they were building an underwater power cable into LI, and it was putting a strain on the power supply during the real hot months where everyone used their AC. I had one machine that wasn't on a surge that got spiked, and it cooked my MB.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
No more buzzing or crackling...It seems fine, although I haven't tried it at high volumes or with any different settings.

I'll keep it on a power strip from now on.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar