Hello. I'm not a bass player, so let me say that first. I know someone who's selling this amp http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBASW35 for 80 bucks. And the bass player I jam with needs a new amp. Do you think that this 35 watt amp would play over drums, and still be heard among the guitars? I'm not too concerned about sound, as this will one will probably be temporary.

thanks.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

I didn't check out the amp because I'm kinda to lazy to do it, but usually you need around a 100 watts if you want to play with drums, 2 guitars, and vocals. But it also depends on how loud the drummer is and the guitars. If they play soft you probably don't need 100 but 35 is definately not loud enough.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
for jamming with other musicians you'll need around 100 watts at least, for gigging you'll need around 300. the size of teh speaker is also important, if you can try to go for a 1x15 speaker or 2x10 at the least.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Ah some people think way too much about this.

If this is a temp amp, 35W should be perfect, 50 or higher and you'd be spending a lot of money, so 80 bucks is a steal. Ibanez bass amps arent talked about much, but they should still be one step above behringer

But really, 20-40W are made for small practices, and it'll be fine until you guys say "hey lets gig". Then you buy your 80-300W monster, practice with it a few times (to get the right tone/volume etc) and start gigging.

And i mean... its 80 bucks! ive seeen smaller amps goin for 80. If you can haggle down to 50-70, i'd take it without a second thought. Make sure it works of course!

But since you're willing to go used, check your local Craigslist.com, as it usually has great deals!

EDIT: http://chicago.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=11&subAreaID=0&query=bass+amp&catAbbreviation=msg&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
Quote by mangablade
Ah some people think way too much about this.

If this is a temp amp, 35W should be perfect, 50 or higher and you'd be spending a lot of money, so 80 bucks is a steal. Ibanez bass amps arent talked about much, but they should still be one step above behringer

But really, 20-40W are made for small practices, and it'll be fine until you guys say "hey lets gig". Then you buy your 80-300W monster, practice with it a few times (to get the right tone/volume etc) and start gigging.

And i mean... its 80 bucks! ive seeen smaller amps goin for 80. If you can haggle down to 50-70, i'd take it without a second thought. Make sure it works of course!

But since you're willing to go used, check your local Craigslist.com, as it usually has great deals!

EDIT: http://chicago.craigslist.org/cgi-bin/search?areaID=11&subAreaID=0&query=bass+amp&catAbbreviation=msg&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

that's all very well, but if he's jamming with 2 guitars and a drummer, he's not gonna be heard at all. rendering the amp useless for that situation, jamming with one, maybe two guitarists the amp could handle but with a drummer 35w will get drowned out.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Hm, so you guys think that it's not worth the money to buy this small of an amp for practices? Because I doubt we'll be gigging soon. And we'll be playing outside, if that's a factor for how loud it should be. Thanks alot guys, your responses are really helping.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Unfortunately, you will need to have more than 35 to be heard with one guitarist and a drummer, much less two guitarists. You will need at least 75 watts. I'm doing fine with a 150 watt combo through a 15 inch speaker. If you get a big combo, make sure you have a line/speaker out so you can use it with a PA.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
"practicing outside" generally only makes things worse. Because acoustics generally work against the drummer than anyone else (that's why they design drumming enclosures for studios), the fact that your outside is practically irrelevant, and if it is relevant it aint helping you.

You need a louder amp for outdoor playing than inside playing because the walls wont be there to play your sound back at you. This is why outdoor venues have such monsterous PA systems even when compared to indoor PA systems. In a stadium, things can be designed so that from one certain point things will appear louder and be more audible than if they're based from another. Outside, you're just saying, "F that! let's all make sounds and who's loudest wins!"

and rest assured a 35 watt bass amp will not complete in any way with anything your up against.

So don't get it. Trust me on this one. And 35 watt used for 80? You're not even getting a truly great deal there...

but.

the amp in concept won't do much good for you even as a temp. That's my say of it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked out the amp, out side, and it was at full volume and it wasn't very loud at all. You guys were right. A 35 watt amp WILL NOT play over drums...
Thanks again guys.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Quote by pullmeunder
Thanks for the replies guys. I checked out the amp, out side, and it was at full volume and it wasn't very loud at all. You guys were right. A 35 watt amp WILL NOT play over drums...
Thanks again guys.

depending on who the guitarist is and drummer is, i have trouble hearing myself with even a 160w amp. thats why im saving for a stack.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Well yeah, it wouldn't really do the job. 35 watts, over drums and guitar, probably won't happen.

And it also depends the condition it's in, because if he's selling it, either it's junky or he's getting something better.

So check the condition, and if you want it for practice, then it wouldn't neccessarily do the job :|
Quote by yawn
Don't type in all caps.

Otherwise You Look Like A Complete Moron.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
1) Bold print. Reason? Y/N?
I checked the condition, it worked perfectly, it was almost brand new. he's selling it because he doesn't play bass....

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Which begs the question why on earth did he buy it in the first place...
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Eh, I don't know. Don't really care tho, it's not worth the money.

Edit: What would you guys suggest a good bass amp that could play over drums in a band with 2 guitar players and a keyboard player? It has to be cheap.

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

Last edited by pullmeunder at Aug 10, 2006,