I'm not sure about bass but on guitar tube amps are a lot louder compared to solid state amps with the same amount of wattage. How many watts would a 100 watt tube bass amp be compared to a solid state amp? Sorry if you don't understand it because I can't really think of the right words.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
my guitar tube is 30 watts, and it pumps out much more power than my old 100 watt solid state guitar amp.
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
For some reason or another tube guitar amps sound 1.5 times louder than solid state amps; but are not actually louder than their transistor toting brethren.
Yea decibel rating is the same, but its something to do with the fact they are very harmonically rich, producing more sound that is audible by the human ear...i think.

Im not sure about bass amps, i would expect it to be a similar comparison to guitar valve amp wattage vs solid state wattage. So 100w, about 250w solid state? 1.5 times louder sounds about right.
well, my neighbor has a 300 watt tube mesa going through an 8x10, i have a 1000 watt SS going through a 4x10 and 1 x18. i think they will get as loud.

but he has more speakers than i do, so i dont know if its a fair comparison. (i should hook my head to his cab and see whats up.)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Generally people tend to agree that 1 tube = 1.5-2-5 SS watts. While I don't think it's true (300 watts = 300 watts = 300 watts), tube SOUNDS louder (And IMO most of the time better) and it SOUNDS louder.
haha
I'm still waiting for someone to explain WHY tube's sound louder. But bleh.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Quote by FunkyO_49
Yea decibel rating is the same, but its something to do with the fact they are very harmonically rich, producing more sound that is audible by the human ear...i think.

Im not sure about bass amps, i would expect it to be a similar comparison to guitar valve amp wattage vs solid state wattage. So 100w, about 250w solid state? 1.5 times louder sounds about right.

yep, tubes produce both odd and even harmonics, while solid state produce more odd then even. this is why they appear to sound louder and better (even harmonics are the same not, but an octave higher, so they sound more musical)

atleast that's what i think