im guessing its just feedback, but i was watching the live G3 tour (05) and on a couple songs he got some SWEEET sustain and feedback. im just wondering if he uses some pedal to give him crazy feedback, or its just from his amp.
Most of his distortion comes from his amp these days (Peavey JSX), but in the past he has used a modded DS-1 for a little boost. Most feedback is achieved just by playing really loud, and controlling your position in relation to the amp
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
yea, the JSX has nice feedback. (from decent pups, stock crap pups=no more ears)

however, i havnt been able to find a good stach tone from my JSX. (not that ive been looking that hard)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I clicked this thread because I've always been curious as to how he achieves such rich sustain with clean settings. Like in the song "Just Look Up" (and plenty others I'm sure). My guitar is a one-piece, neck-thru-body design and its a solid piece of wood. So it can sustain like a bird with some overdrive/distortion. But I have problems holding notes with clean settings for a few seconds. Do I just need an amp with lots of headroom?
maybe a better guitar?

i have no problem with sustain on my guitar in clean.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
you are playing a dean, nuff said

but i do moonlight sonata via 8 finger tap on the guitar (see stu hamm) and it does that just fine.

Quote by steven seagull
Volume and compression can do wonders for sustain, even at low gain settings. Good vibrato technique can also help with this as well.
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

no, about dean.

i thought i was clear

Quote by steven seagull
so?
i also play guitar, bass, piano, violin, trumpet, baritone, trombone, xylophone(and its cousins)
and play with the USC trojan marching band on occasion

Quote by steven seagull
When I saw Satch live, he just kept treming his feedback for like 10 minutes at the end of Satch Boogie. He has the greatest gear.
do you feel all big that you are 24 and using terms such as "skin flute?"

its kinda sad, really

EDIT: you are from jersey, so its okay

Quote by steven seagull
First thing to try - get a compressor. If you have a metal sound, it tightens it up alot and makes it sound awesome. The only drawback is that it sucks some of that low end "umph" and power out of your sound, so dialing in a little more bass and a little less mids usually fixes it. But it'll give you super sustain and whatnot.
^+1 compressor/sustainer pedals can definitely help.

Quote by tubadude

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by tubadude
do you feel all big that you are 24 and using terms such as "skin flute?"

its kinda sad, really

First.. I'm 23. And I'll be using the term skin-flute till I'm an old man.. thank you very much.

And you're from california So I wouldnt be talking...
im in so cal, not the fruity nor cal.

anyways, i dont knwo how this got from me saying that deans suck.

(and dont say i havnt palyed a nice one, because ive played the first USA razorback, every dime tribute, the spalted maple USA models, all are terrible guitars)

Quote by steven seagull
a lot of people have said compressor and sustainer etc. but joe doesn't use any of those things? the question in the title asks, what joe uses, and he doesn't use those, so why can he sustain forever during the live intro to flying in a blue dream?
^Almost all guitarists use compression, whether it be a stompbox in the pedal chain, in their rack post-amp, or at the mixing board. Satch most definately uses compression somewhere along the line, and tube overdrive has a natural compression effect present which is why distorted tones sustain for longer. Different amps have different amount of inherent compression, for example Mesa's are very compressed with is why they sound tight, whereas Marshalls are generally less compressed
My gear;

Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Quote by SuburbanCowboy
And this is coming from a guy who plays the tuba...

me and the rest of the marching band tubas are going to rip you to shreds...and tuba players never play just one instrument.

go with a compression pedal.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
great, another tuba guy. . .

i thought i was the only one

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by robmarsden01
^Almost all guitarists use compression, whether it be a stompbox in the pedal chain, in their rack post-amp, or at the mixing board. Satch most definately uses compression somewhere along the line, and tube overdrive has a natural compression effect present which is why distorted tones sustain for longer. Different amps have different amount of inherent compression, for example Mesa's are very compressed with is why they sound tight, whereas Marshalls are generally less compressed

from his gear list the rack effect he uses is delay, and before the jsx he used marshall amps, his pedalboard doesn't have a compressor pedal. I've also seen videos of him playing outdoors through a small combo amp with no rack and just his pedalboard and he still gets his sustain.
Quote by tubadude
great, another tuba guy. . .

i thought i was the only one

don't feel bad...i don't bite.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Awww.. its so special you two found eachother. And please dont come "rip me to shreds" with your marching band cronies. I'd hate to break up your game of Dungeons and Dragons
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
Awww.. its so special you two found eachother. And please dont come "rip me to shreds" with your marching band cronies. I'd hate to break up your game of Dungeons and Dragons

Ownt
not really.

it was such a stupid remark (and inaccurate) that i giggled at it.

Quote by steven seagull
wow guys, did i ask a questionabout joe satriani or did i tell you to have sissy fits over getting "cyber-bullied"???

i admit that you guys DO have some pretty funny things to say though, and it is pretty entertaining....
Quote by SuburbanCowboy

yeah. just FYI, all of the tubas are on the football team and weigh over 200lbs. except me. and i'm strong, just not big. so...shut up. or i'll drop a tuba on you. and crush you like a green day loving squier/mg playing punk wannabe.

pwned.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by tubadude
im in so cal, not the fruity nor cal.

w00t. Norcal is far from fruity. And Laguna Beach is a queer mecca. Too bad I live there.
I think satch has a fernandes sustainer in at least one of his guitars. that might be it, though probably one of the many different things he uses as mentioned.

edit: New Jersey PWNS.
westfield baby.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
To begin with, his guitars are set up very well, and he plays properly. So you get a ton of sustain from that. But yea, he uses a sustainiac mostly. On Flying In A Blue Dream he used amp feedback.
Last edited by orckmfdm at Aug 27, 2016,
Informative...but in a thread 10 years dead.

You've probably reignited the tuba war, as well.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!