tbh my practice regim is terrible, i need to organise it really but i usually start off with some blues licks, then some chords and after that i tend to drift off into just random noodling lol, started to throw in some arpeggios and stuff now aswell though
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
I usually just pick the guitar and start improvizing and play songs
Quote by urik

Same, but I am trying to organise practice sessions. I used excel to make myself a timetable sort of thing.
Quote by AdamDK
Same, but I am trying to organise practice sessions. I used excel to make myself a timetable sort of thing.

forgot to add, that i use the pc at the same time. actually, im practicing right now.
~15 minutes of some chromatic runs with metronome and then just jamming along with songs, tabing out songs, record myself maybe if I feel for it. The only thing that I'm really trying to always do is the wamup.
Depends. Personal practice time usually consists of messing around with a few new songs for a half hour or so a couple nights a week. Never intentionally practiced a scale other than minor pentatonic or blues scales in my life.
Band rehearsals are usually 15 minutes or so of jamming on some goofy song(s) then right to the 20 song or so song setlist. Usually 4 hour practices one night a week.
roughly:

5-10 minutes of warmup...

30-60 minutes scales or speed exercises

30-90 minutes working on a song

15-30 minutes noolding

No particular order except warmup first of course...

That's on my full practice days. Sometimes I just pick it up, warmup, and noodle for 30 minutes and be done (when I dont have time or dont feel like playing).
Originally Posted by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

first, i'll set aside about 15 minutes for stretching and warming up...then, i like to go through about 5-10 exercises per section from "Speed Mechanics" for technique, usually taking about 2-3 hours...i usually take a while to continue working on the song i'm learning at the time...from there, i'll download a backing track and improvise over it for another few hours, depending on how "into it" i am - in my spare time (usually after i practice) i'll study theory and such
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
I jst play, end up improvising a small solo, i do some tapping, play electric funeral and symphony of destruction and i play what i can of surfing with the alien, well thats what its been recently
Looks like some of you guys might want to think about how you go about practicing.
It really is the key to getting better.

Anyways, I generally focus on a few types of things and stick to the same thing
for a month or two. Lately it has been working on a variety of sweep patterns
and arpeggiation patterns which go up the neck. Also 3 note per string pentatonics
-- also involves lots of sweeps. Most of this stuff is from "Sheets of Sound" which
is an AWESOME practice book.

I'm pretty much going to wrap that up for now and move from pure technique
practice to improvisation control. My goal at the end of a month or so is to be
able to take any song or chord progression and totally follow the progression with
the chord arpeggios anywhere I am on the neck. I can do this to a certain extent
now, but I want to be able to do it without thinking about it or working the song
out ahead of time. Also, subbing the rel minor arpeggio for major.
some scales
random improvising..
whatever song i had recently leanred the day before
and more songs/riffs
Quote by bajeda
congrats, you made me chuckle at your stupidity.

Seinfeld Club
ive been playing for 8 months and have done a little with scales. Mainly just learn the first position, and never really understood them. But now I have some knowledge of note order and what a half and whole step actually mean.

So i think im gonna focus on increasing my accuracy, and learning the scales and all their positions, along with the note names. I think that will help me in the long run, but we will see...
its all about practicin the pentatonic scales,gaining speed and technique, and learnin new solos by slash 4 me! :-) As well as learnin and practicin some chords hear n there.
Quote by urik

yup, same here. Sometimes, i try to learn new stuff, then practice past songs and make them sound a little better. then i just doddle and improv until it sounds good and write it down or record it.
10 Minutes or so of Warmp ups - Bending, Stretches, pullsoffs/ hammer ons and some picking specific picking exercises

The rest i do off and on for about 20 minutes every day or so. This includes

- Picking Exercises, including 3nps scales, economy/alternate picking, chromatics, and sweeping, then working on particular techniques, etc.

- Songs, noodling
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
I never warm up - what's the point? In a lot of gig situations you don't have time to warm up so I think people should get used to not warming up - Sometimes I do stretch my fingers though...

Then i just... Play around, usually noodle around for a bit, then learn or try to learn a song/solo, then noodle some more. Randomly I get insired to try somethin new and I work on that for a while
Quote by shorter_rocker
I never warm up - what's the point? In a lot of gig situations you don't have time to warm up so I think people should get used to not warming up - Sometimes I do stretch my fingers though...

Then i just... Play around, usually noodle around for a bit, then learn or try to learn a song/solo, then noodle some more. Randomly I get insired to try somethin new and I work on that for a while

it's good so that you don't run the risk of injury and/or cramping up while playing...it's like a runner stretching before a race - your fingers will respond better when they are not stiff, but relaxed, loose, and full of blood flow

john petrucci uses the good ol' hand and finger massage at his gigs all the time - so you don't necessarily have to do splits or anything, just a quick massage or stretching exercise and you'll be good to go
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
it's good so that you don't run the risk of injury and/or cramping up while playing...it's like a runner stretching before a race - your fingers will respond better when they are not stiff, but relaxed, loose, and full of blood flow

john petrucci uses the good ol' hand and finger massage at his gigs all the time - so you don't necessarily have to do splits or anything, just a quick massage or stretching exercise and you'll be good to go

Who the heck's ever injured themselves playing by not warming up first????
Quote by demea
Who the heck's ever injured themselves playing by not warming up first????

Quote by Skuzzmo
To those playing for hours on end........

Respect for doing that peeps and for having the dedication, but don't you take time out to rest your, wrists, fingers, muscles etc? Cos if you don't I'm sure your on the way to carpal tunnel or RSI or something......

It's just that a friend of mine some years back used to do that, go to school, come home and then play guitar for 4, 5,6 hours sometimes even more. He did that same thing, everyday, for a couple of years then over a period of like 2 months he just lost the use of his fretting hand, not total, like 80% of his movement had gone. He went to the docs and it was all the tendons in his left wrist had been damaged because of the amount of time he spent thrashing the guitar everyday.....anyway, at the end of it he had to pack in the guitar for the thick end of 18 months and even now when he plays, every now and again he will get twinges that hurt like hell.....apparently.....

Sorry, just thought I'd throw it in the ring.

^apparently that guy - you'd be very surprised
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Quote by axe_grinder247
^apparently that guy - you'd be very surprised

Yeah, I read that post and was thinking, if he played for 4,5,6 hours...wouldnt he have been warmed up in the first 30 minutes???
It makes no sense and really isnt relavent to this post. He may have had weak tendons from a genetic condition and by playing guitar or building models or wacking off damaged them.
Quote by demea
Yeah, I read that post and was thinking, if he played for 4,5,6 hours...wouldnt he have been warmed up in the first 30 minutes???
It makes no sense and really isnt relavent to this post. He may have had weak tendons from a genetic condition and by playing guitar or building models or wacking off damaged them.

that's why warm-ups are usually slow, controlled movements designed to stretch the muscles, not work them...if you decide to play scales and whatnot at full speed the moment you pick up your guitar, the muscles you're using are going from doing nothing at all (assuming you didn't just finish wacking off) to performing complex and strenuous movements, which is a potentially dangerous transition...think of the runner; he has to stretch his leg muscles so that they are more prepared to undergo that strenuous activity...if he just goes right into a sprint, his muscles aren't prepared, therefore he is risking injury

now, imagine doing that every day for 4-6 hours...he may be warmed up after a while, but he still has slightly damaged the muscle or tendon he jumped into exercise with...and i believe that damaged tendons and such would be discovered long before a couple of years had gone by
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

really depends. overally i practice technique, chord ****, solo **** and improvisation. i can just sit over an hour doing the same fast lick over and over again until im tired and then i start working on some slower stuff, messing around abit, creating new stuff, new riffs, new songs and then writing solos for it and recording them. >_>
hmm
well its holiday now, so im allowed to ^^

but anyway
dont really warm up. i usually just start with some oasis chords or something to warm the fings up a bit lol. after that its either songs/techs i have been working on before or a song i just heard and really want to learn to play. ^^
Quote by axe_grinder247
that's why warm-ups are usually slow, controlled movements designed to stretch the muscles, not work them...if you decide to play scales and whatnot at full speed the moment you pick up your guitar, the muscles you're using are going from doing nothing at all (assuming you didn't just finish wacking off) to performing complex and strenuous movements, which is a potentially dangerous transition...think of the runner; he has to stretch his leg muscles so that they are more prepared to undergo that strenuous activity...if he just goes right into a sprint, his muscles aren't prepared, therefore he is risking injury

now, imagine doing that every day for 4-6 hours...he may be warmed up after a while, but he still has slightly damaged the muscle or tendon he jumped into exercise with...and i believe that damaged tendons and such would be discovered long before a couple of years had gone by

But for the average player, which is 99 percent of this forum...
15-30 mins. of warmups/stretching
30 mins. of chords/30 mins. of scales (up and down neck)
30 min. of improvising
30 mins. of learning other peoples songs

I usually set goals for myself each month such as becoming faster, more accurate, or learning a different technique (this month it's hybrid picking). Also, I always practice with a metronome and try to get faster or more accurate (at a given speed) each practice session.

I dont set a specific time aside for writing my own material. When a melody comes into my head, I just grab the nearest guitar and try to transcribe it (whether I'm practicing or not). If I'm in school, I tab out something close and work on it later.
Last edited by colin617 at Aug 14, 2006,
when you guys say you practise chords, how do you mean do you just play the chords that you know and make sure you can play them perfect?
some broken windows and alot of weeping.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
I have my guitar near my comp so I open up windows media player and play along with a couple songs. I think the routine could be better but then again I look where I'm at now and compare to when I started I'm much better.
I do stretches and simple exercises to warm up, then other, more complex exercises to work on accuracy. Then I do some scales/work on improvising for a bit, and finish by improving songs I can play and learning others. I don't really have set time periods
Oh, for me that changes a lot. Right now I'm putting a lot of time into this fiddle tune I'm trying to learn from a book called Red Apple Rag, which is played real fast, so I can barely keep up ( I slows down the metronome).

But usually its, warmup, scales( Basically I play the major scale in each key, and do the minor scale in each key... seems like a lot, I know), then I do chord scales( Same thing). I try to name the notes as I go along. Then I do whatever tune I'm writing or trying to play.
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Quote by yeovil4eva
when you guys say you practise chords, how do you mean do you just play the chords that you know and make sure you can play them perfect?

I just randomly pick chords (open and barre) and practice transitioning into them cleanly and smoothly.
lately it's just been warming up, then i mess around with sweeps for 15 minutes or so and after that it's whatever my fingers tell me.
I am a breathing Time Machine!