I need a new amp, simply put. Mine sucks. It's small and muddy, and my drummer drowns it out without trying. It makes practicing with my bandmates a chore. I made a different thread recently about another amp, and had my questions answered. This is probably the final step before I actually make some calls and order one.

The first amp I found was a Kustom Quad Jr., a solid state half-stack, but it has sold/been taken down from BuySell.com.

While looking around on Lamusic.ca, I found an amp that has gotten rave reviews and seems like a great deal: the Randall RG75 G2 112 Combo. Total shipped price would be just under $400 CAD. I play mostly metal (obviously) and hard rock with my band, along the lines of Pantera, Black album era Metallica, amped up Sabbath stuff, etc. and this amp seems like it would suit me well. It's also the only amp I've found on a site that ships from a Canadian site that's in my price range.

If anyone has any other suggestions before I go ahead and buy this one, please speak up. I will be heading to Mr. Entertainment to give this thing a try pretty soon.

EDIT: I should probably mention that my budget is under $500 CAD, including shipping and tax.
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
Last edited by x_themetalfan_x at Aug 9, 2006,
marshall avt20x........its 300 bucks.......but its really loud and is total tube quality......i reccomend on getting it......its really nice
Quote by Tadely
If want to be louder try a Marshall amp. There real powerful.

Quote by Tadely

Could you be a little more specific please? Which model? Most Marshalls (at least the good ones) are way out of my price range.
Rig

Look into the Roland cubes and Vox um.. i forget what there called lol somthing valvtronix. Ive heard the cube is more centered to metal, the 30 and 60 watts should be within your price range.
maybe the line 6 spyder II i personally think its a good amp but thats my opinion
Quote by ihatemetal
Fallout boy with Tom Delonge on vocals would be the ultimate supergroup

you my friend, are an idiot
Ahh, the Cube 60. Add that to my list of amps to try, thanks gsr2k6. I'd forgotten about those. As for Vox, I don't think they have the punch to do metal, or so I've heard.
Rig

Any other suggestions? I'm not going to be able to make it to a music store until next week sometime, so if anyone has sometime for me to try while I'm there, let me know.
Rig

Have you tried messing with your tone knobs? It could be that your mid frequency is totally off so the drums drown you out. Try messing around with the mids a lil and maybe you'll cut through better.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Tadely

ONLY if it is a REAL Marshall tube amp.
Quote by jezjr48
marshall avt20x........its 300 bucks.......but its really loud and is total tube quality......i reccomend on getting it......its really nice

No dude. Just...no. Total tube quality? HAHAHA!!! No.
Quote by firebridge
maybe the line 6 spyder II i personally think its a good amp but thats my opinion

Even though its your opinion...no. Sorry...
Quote by Generalpwnt
Have you tried messing with your tone knobs? It could be that your mid frequency is totally off so the drums drown you out. Try messing around with the mids a lil and maybe you'll cut through better.

Dude its a 15watt Behringer...nothing is going to make it cut through enough to be heard over drums.

You MIGHT be able to pull it off with a Cube60 for practice. For SS amps they can be cranked pretty high without goin to hell on ya. I would say to look really hard on eBay or some local shops on a used tube combo. Even a 20watt 1x12" tube combo would be way better then a MG/AVT fullstack or whatever. STAY AWAY FROM CHEAPO AMPS man. You have plently of money to play with, spend it wisely on an amp that you will love for a long time to come...and make sure its right for you.
^ The cube 60 would do fine for practice situations, the cube 30 MIGHT not be. Unless your drummer is a total-loud-double-kick-riding-crash ***** you would probably be fine with a cube 30.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by bean-o
^ The cube 60 would do fine for practice situations, the cube 30 MIGHT not be. Unless your drummer is a total-loud-double-kick-riding-crash ***** you would probably be fine with a cube 30.

Yeah, you basically just described my drummer. I have to stop him every few minutes and tell him to keep it down.

So let's say I am going the tube amp road, is there any good tube combos you guys can recommend? I want this amp to last me for a while, as I need to save my money from now to the end of next summer (I only work during the summer months) for my laptop.
Rig

Quote by Tedward
y r amps so expensive? its a fricken speaker!

hahahahahahahahaha (sarcastic laughter).... gtfo
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
Quote by kurdtkobaign
^ Valve King + Overdrive pedal = best option

Anyone agree with this? If I did get it, it would be over eBay and the shipping from the states would probably drive the price to a level where I couldn't afford it. If I can find it somewhere around where I live, I'll try it out. How common are these amps, i.e. what is the possibility that I'll find one locally?
Rig

Quote by Tedward
y r amps so expensive? its a fricken speaker!

lyke wye Iz g0Ld s0 exp3ns1v3?! 1Tz jnSt uh KynD uV m3taL!!!!
Vox Vavetronix Ftw!!!
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Yeah... back to the issue at hand. How common are these amps? Am I going to be able to find one at a music store, or will I have to hunt around on classifieds and eBay?

Oh, and while we're on the topic of the valve king, if I were to use it for metal (which is 90% of what I play) then would I need a good pedal to get the right sound, or does this amp suit the style already?
Rig