hi. i learnt jack johnsons banana pancakes song and after playing for few minutes i took my hand off and felt pain at the back of my hand. it went away after a while.

Should i just practice barre chords more until the pain goes away forever.? Or am i using the wrong fingering technique or something?

if there is already a thread like this i apologize.

any help appreciated
itll get better as you play barre chords more often. ive been playing barre chords for over a year now and it still hurts a little after playing them a lot, though.
i used to get the same thing when i started playing under the bridge. it goes away after a while of playing its just strains the muscles in your hand cause they arnt used to it. just keep playing, your muscles with get stronger and it wont hurt anymore
Quote by ihatemetal
Fallout boy with Tom Delonge on vocals would be the ultimate supergroup

you my friend, are an idiot
hey bud you might be angling your wrist at a horrible degree dude like is your wrist at a 90 degree angle or just overall kinda strained? Like make sure your wrist is as straight as possible or i should say um like alinged with the restof your arm...if you are on electric then make sure your strap isnt down at your knees and causing your wrist to bend horibly...but if you are on acoustic and sitting bend your elbow a bit and align your wrist with your arm so that there is hardly any bend in your wrist... yup i hope this answers your question!!!!

Peace
Jonesy
i do my barre chords with the index and pinky (kind of like the way metallica does it in their video for "One") and it strains my wrist a lot less then doing a barre chord where you skip the middle and you finger with the index, ring, and pinky

just a thought...
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
How long have you been playing??
Your hand should be alittle sore if you are using barre chords for the first time. As time goes on your hands endurance should increase. Remember relax and press firmly,but not tight. When playing something like a F#M use the finger next to your pointer finger (the finger you are using to barre with) to help you get a better sound out of that chord making a more firmer grip on this particular chord.
i used to get some pains when i started a long time ago, but it doesnt happen anymore. It wasnt anything bad though. But if its affecting your playing and hurting pretty bad, you might want to check your posture, how are you sitting when you play? if youre sitting down, then make sure you arnt angling your wrist in weird directions. ITs hard to tell over the net if that is the issue or not.

it might alsow be how you are barring the chords. Try using yoru thumb to help with the pressure on yoru index figure (the barring finger) and hoepfully that will relieve some stress
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
wow ug rocks. i posted my Q like 20 min ago and when i came back i saw like 8 views and 7 replies. wow thanks guys.

i think about 3 years barre chords. but i never really learnt songs that have 'just' E-shape and A-shape barre chords, cause i lived in a small town(+/-5000) and didnt have internet or a teacher.

hey bud you might be angling your wrist at a horrible degree dude like is your wrist at a 90 degree angle or just overall kinda strained? Like make sure your wrist is as straight as possible or i should say um like alinged with the restof your arm...if you are on electric then make sure your strap isnt down at your knees and causing your wrist to bend horibly...but if you are on acoustic and sitting bend your elbow a bit and align your wrist with your arm so that there is hardly any bend in your wrist... yup i hope this answers your question!!!!

Peace
Jonesy

hmm. i dont bend my wrist 90 degrees but close to it, so thanks for the info, really helpful.

dont classical dudes bend there wrist quite a bit? i might be wrong

thanks
what about this chord, in a taking back sunday song...

---
-5-
-5-
-5-
-3-
---

it hurts to hold that chord for me, is it like the same as the barre chord thing?
Quote by jacoinmalawi
dont classical dudes bend there wrist quite a bit? i might be wrong

thanks

The less angle, the better. You don't want to trap a nerve or anything like that.

Anyway, it's more than likely just the muscles adjusting as they're rarely used.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
If you feel pain, you could put yourself at risk if you keep going. If you feel pain, stop, take a break, and come back to it. It is natural but if you overexert yourself you'll make things much worse.

That applies to everything, not just guitar.
yeah common signal something else is wrong..seek medical advice-regular rests warm up & down and maybe buy a dynaflax ball (very helpful)