Poll: Which neck style should I use for soloing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which neck style should I use for soloing?
Neck-thru
14 88%
Bolt-on
2 13%
Voters: 16.
I was wondering for building a guitar for soloing, and to sound good with medium to HEAVY distortion if it would be better to do a thru body neck or a bolt on neck. And what wood would be best for either one.

P.S. How would you do two different types of wood on a thru body neck. Ex. Maple neck and adler body wings. (based off the Jackson SL1 idea)
well i would go with the neck-thru. period. they have a longer sustain, not enough to REALLY REALLY REALLY tell that much of a difference, but it is enough to make one go with a neck thru. and if i had my druthers, i would take a neck-thru over anyhting. It is jsut a much smoother style and it feels better when you are playing. i dont think that it makes such a difference, but it makes you feel cooler lol. but i would MOST DEFF, so with the neck-thru...
Quote by AtrumArx
well i would go with the neck-thru. period. they have a longer sustain, not enough to REALLY REALLY REALLY tell that much of a difference, but it is enough to make one go with a neck thru. and if i had my druthers, i would take a neck-thru over anyhting. It is jsut a much smoother style and it feels better when you are playing. i dont think that it makes such a difference, but it makes you feel cooler lol. but i would MOST DEFF, so with the neck-thru...

same reasons as him, except it is really a smoother playing style with it, its not just his imagination lol
If you can get the same kind of wood, freaking DO IT. Building a neck is way cheaper than buying one, and it's not THAT much harder to do a neck-thru and it's just something to brag about... like

Fanboy: "Wait.. you built your guitar?"
You: "Yeah, it's a mahogany body with a maple top, mahogany neck (neck-through by the way.. just sayin'), maple binding around the neck (to match the body) and a 22-fret rosewood fretboard, with custom inlays made of pearl, and that's my headstock with chrome tuners and a custom logo inlay. And that's not to mention the pickups..."
Fanboy: <awed silence>