Page 1 of 2
Depends, what kind of music do you want to play. You could pull off some White Stripes and other garage rock pretty well without a bass. But if your playing any sort of metal (I'd assume) you'd need bass.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

i think i heard somewheare that its can sound good when your playing without bass, but when it comes to recording stuff, you definitly need one.
Quote by grungefan89
Hooker! Could someone please buy this kid a hooker?

Let me know when you can actually fuck a cartoon chick in the beared clam and give me a call. I've forgotten what it feels like to shit my pants.
No, its not "essential" but obiviously the band will sound fuller and imo better with a bassist. However if you would like to keep it a family band, and can't find a good bassist, then you really don't need one... Several successful bands have done well without one..

The White Stripes, and The Doors spring to mind...

It's really up to you and the band too decide, goodluck.
I keep the wolf from the door, but he calls me on the phone, tells me all the ways that he's gonna mess me up, steal all my children if I don't pay the ransom, but I'll never see them again If I squeal to the cops.
Quote by Wolf_At_TheDoor

The White Stripes, and The Doors spring to mind...

The Doors had a keyboardist play the bass line.

You can practice without bass and still get plenty of experince out of it. But if you want to record I'd suggest putting a bass in there.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

I think you would be surprised how much having a bass actually adds to a group. I had to respond to this thread because I'm in a band with a rhythm and lead guitar drums and bass. Our bassist was out of town but we already scheduled a show. We played without him and I've never missed anything so much in my life. It felt like it sounded so bad without a bass and it was harder for our drummer to. I would try to find a bassist. If rhythm guitar player can play things kind of like bass but on a guitar, buy the guy a bass and let him practice a little. I learned how to play bass after playing guitar for about two years in about three days.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
No instrument is essential.

Bass makes it sound better and fuller - get one if you can.

Took the words out of my mouth.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I've played in a band without a bass, and one where a guitarist altenated between bass and guitar. It worked fine for us, but basses definitly add something to the music.
I find that songs sound hollow or lack a "groove without a bass player even if the bass is just root notes it adds so much to the overall sound
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
No instrument is essential.

Bass makes it sound better and fuller - get one if you can.

A great bass player can make a huge difference to a band's sound. Look at all those huge Motown hits. All of those songs have great bass lines.

If you don't get a bassist at least get a key board player to help make up for it. That will work better than a rhythm guitarist filling in for bass.
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
What kind of music are you Playing if itsnt something that requires tqo guitarists give the rhythm guitarist a bass and go one as a trio
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
i mean hell depending on the type of music, you might be better with one person switching off guitar and bass if you have a number of songs that you pull off without bass. but if you have, to go the extreme one side, a funk band, get a bass. if you have a jack johnson cover band it's not essential.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
Ok it doesn't really NEED bass but it would probably sound a lot better. Think of your favorite rock bands and then take bass out of the songs, it would probably sound not nearly as good.
Eddie Van Halen even said he could never hear Mark Anthony and really didnt think he was neccesary. And that he was just gettin rich off of the money he and the rest of the band were earning. So no you really dont need a bass player cause they will just take teh bands money without actaully doing anything.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Quote by cubedeathk
Eddie Van Halen even said he could never hear Mark Anthony and really didnt think he was neccesary. And that he was just gettin rich off of the money he and the rest of the band were earning. So no you really dont need a bass player cause they will just take teh bands money without actaully doing anything.

lol, see if your rythm player could switch to bass, you playing lead and rythm depending on what the song calls for.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
yeah, a bass isn't technically necessary, but it does fill a broad sonic range and it's one of those things where if you don't ever have one, you won't notice it really, but once you get one thats competent and decent as soon as he/she's gone you'll notice.

EVH is worse at interviews than the Galleagher brothers it seems
It depends on what your doing, if the bass just harmonizes the guitar ines then it just fills out the sound, but if it's doing it's own thing, than it depends on how complex your music is

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by cubedeathk

That is a very poor and uneducated attitude to have. Bass players can make a huge difference to a band. Look at bands like Pink Floyd, The Police, The Beatles, Motorhead, Cream and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Bassists can add a lot to a band's overall sound. Making it richer, fuller and giving it it's groove.
Quote by kaptink
EVH is worse at interviews than the Galleagher brothers it seems

Yeah he's competing with Axl...
WARNING:This post contains explicit portrayals of violence; sex; violent sex; sexual violence; clowns and violent scenes of violent excess, which are definitely not suitable for all audiences.
i dunno if they're completely necessary

me and a couple of other dudes played american idiot (yes i know greenday sucks) without a bass and it sounded fine

but it can add so much more to the song
like i can't listen to anything without the bass boost on my radio on or else it just sounds hollow
Quote by Vornik
Observe how when the original target of the flamings flees the scene, bleeding from the ego, the UGer will often target other predators out of shere instinctual need to h8 da n00bz.
it really depends, if you're playing with a drummer, than yes a bassist is very essential to the band.. The only time you wouldnt need one is if maybe you had a 2 person band, 2 guitars, and thats it..

in a full plugged in band, bass player is more essential than lead guitar imo..
Quote by cubedeathk

Lol, that's because he just plays simple root notes / eighth notes every song.
you'll definately be missing something without a bass. nobody ever really notices the bass till its not there...
If you have 2 guitarists, you can totally make it work without bass, it'll just force you to be more creative. Honestly, I think it could even make you a better, more interesting band. You just need to make sure the rhythm guitarist keeps a lot of low end to his tone, so as to fill out the tonal range as fully as possible. That and, if you have a drummer (I can't remember if you said you had one or not), make sure your drummer's kick drum is tuned really good and deep sounding, as another way to fill up the tone.

And if you want to actually fill out the bass range in more than just tone, your second guitarist could also either a) get a lower octave pedal so that everything he plays will be either an octave lower or doubled an octave lower, or b) have him get a baritone/bass vi guitar. Basically, a guitar with a longer neck (about half way between a guitar and bass) that's tuned an octave lower than a guitar. Then he'll have the lowness of a bass with the feel of a guitar, and it'll make for something original to set your band apart.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
the bass is the thing people can hold onto, without it the music has no firm footing.
if your really dont want a bassist then you will have to make up that part of the sound elsewhere be it lead or rhythm or get a keyboardist or something to add a beat to the music.
go to guitar pro, listen to a song with the bass line. the deactivate the bass line. then you will understand the importance of a bass player
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I think that its a good idea to have a bass player but you can still sound really good without one, listen to the black keys, local h or the white stripes and they all pull off a good sound without a bassist( Although the singer/guitarist from local h splits his signal into two parts, one to the guitar amp and another an octave lower into a bass amp.)
We mainly use a bass in our band, but the only time we haven't is when we play long way to the top, when our lead singer and bassist plays the bagpipes. Not essential for that type of song. It all depends on the music you're playing
Quote by Hi9
And if you want to actually fill out the bass range in more than just tone, your second guitarist could also either a) get a lower octave pedal so that everything he plays will be either an octave lower or doubled an octave lower, or b) have him get a baritone/bass vi guitar. Basically, a guitar with a longer neck (about half way between a guitar and bass) that's tuned an octave lower than a guitar. Then he'll have the lowness of a bass with the feel of a guitar, and it'll make for something original to set your band apart.

Baritone guitars are tuned a 5th lower (BEADF#B), not an octave.

If you needed to, you could have the rythm guitarist switch to bass. Just make sure he know how to play bass, as opposed to playing guitar stuff on a bass.
Quote by Scourge441
Baritone guitars are tuned a 5th lower (BEADF#B), not an octave.

Wrong. The Fender Jaguar Baritone Custom is an octave lower. And any baritone that's normally tuned to B can be tuned an octave lower if you put the right strings on it, as long as the scale length is right (most baritones and bass vi's are between 28 and 30 inches). So, while it's generally understood that a Bass VI is an octave lower and a Baritone is B, since with most brands they're both the same length, you could really tune either to either tuning, as long as you put the right strings on it.

You can also tune a bass an octave higher, if you really want to... look for tenor bass strings. It's really cool sounding actually... the pitch of a guitar with the tone of a bass, crazy stuff.
I have an addiction...

Les Paul style DeArmond
Danelectro baritone
Rickenbacker 360/12
defretted Strat
lap steel
Yamaha CP-70
Yamaha P-90
Kay archtop
Kay Tenor Banjo
Oud
Sitar
Harmonium
Melodica
Cello

http://www.myspace.com/hi9
there are so many creative things you can do to make up for the lack of bassist. having another instrument cover the low end range of the bass is a simple way to do so. good instruments for this would be keyboards or cellos. another thing would be to have the rhythm guitarist have a very bass heavy tone. sure the notes wont actually go lower in pitch, but you can add a bit of low end punch to it, especially if running it through a bass amp. someone mentioned the guy in local h who splits his signal so that one goes to guitar amp, the other is dropped and octave and run through a bass amp. its just another idea to think of. heck, you could even just play acousticy music that often doesnt even have a bass in it at all (or isnt prevalent in the music). there are a ton of ways you can do this, just be creative and think.

what would i suggest though? get a bassist. it doesnt just add low end, its adds a steady rhythm foundation. well, that is unless its my brother who thinks every bass line should be slapping, popping, and completly in your face. bass isnt necessary, but it can really add a lot to the cohesiveness and tone of a song.
Do someting weird, like pitching the bass,let him play rythm guitar, lowering the rythm guitar and let him play the bass line. That would be kinda cool.

U need a bassist first tough...
Member 15 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS club. PM Revelations to join.

Founder of the I love nickelodeon club. PM me to join.
yes bassists are essential to a rock band, they keep everyone in time and add a kick-arse heavy gallop, LISTEN TO IRON MAIDEN!!!
Page 1 of 2