I have a very talented friend, who plays bass in a rock/ska ish band. On paper, this band are very good (all good at their instruments). I went to see them with my other friend who is an accomplished guitarist, he knows a lot about sounding good. We were shocked. They sounded awful.

The amps werent powerful enough and the distortion tone was so cheap, guitars were going out of tune song by song, the drumkit had a bass drum made from a floor tom...the singer had an awful cheap run-of-the-mill microphone.

But their songs were good, the playing was original and pretty tight. In the end it seemed that the gear they owned mattered more than the performance. Its a shame really, guitar gear is expensive but seems to make or break a band, regardless of skill.

Anyone know of this/had it happen to them? Or disagree with me?
thats why you dont get all that wankerish guitar modding pedals and crap and you just get a solid amp and mabey a wah if your not gonna be a hammet about it cant go wrong with that
I think skill makes up for the most part, no matter how good your gear is if your crap, you'll just be crap with amazing tone. As the old saying goes, ' you can't polish a turd'. However, when you are a good band/player and you start performing, gear starts to become very important
Both play an important role. I've seen some kids do a concert at my school with real tube Marshall half-stacks and some Gibsons. They played horribly. They sounded like they were banging pots and pans. I'd say although good equipment really polishes your sound, you still need to play it polished for it to sound any good.
Quote by FunkyO_49
I have a very talented friend, who plays bass in a rock/ska ish band. On paper, this band are very good (all good at their instruments). I went to see them with my other friend who is an accomplished guitarist, he knows a lot about sounding good. We were shocked. They sounded awful.

The amps werent powerful enough and the distortion tone was so cheap, guitars were going out of tune song by song, the drumkit had a bass drum made from a floor tom...the singer had an awful cheap run-of-the-mill microphone.

But their songs were good, the playing was original and pretty tight. In the end it seemed that the gear they owned mattered more than the performance. Its a shame really, guitar gear is expensive but seems to make or break a band, regardless of skill.

Anyone know of this/had it happen to them? Or disagree with me?

Regardless of the gear you need to be able to play your instrument. All the gear in the world will not make you a better player.... it may make you sound more polished but it won't make you better.

You should be able to play the **** out of any guitar........
Quote by Desk Jocky
Regardless of the gear you need to be able to play your instrument. All the gear in the world will not make you a better player.... it may make you sound more polished but it won't make you better.

Yeah.

What's to debate really? You think the gear plays itself? Do you pay money to
see a show for the gear?

Although, from many of the posts and questions I see around here, I seriously
think some people believe their lack of skill is the guitar's fault.
Its not really a debate, not sure why I put that.

Ive seen less skilled bands who put on a more enjoyable show, because they sound good. To an extent, the gear does play itself. You could have fantastic gear and your whole song could be an A major played continuously but it would still sound amazing. I just think its such a shame that talented musicians cant get success without huge price tags.
I'm a sound fanatic. I NEED the right tone or it will affect my mood and affect my playing. My amps overdrive is too fuzzy so sometimes when I play with overdrive I kind of get pissed of my the fuzz sound. I hate it. And I don't have enough cash to get an overdrive pedal that's good enough.

I have the same thing when I'm listening to music. If the sound suck I can focus on the music proberly.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Wait.

Wait.

Okay, you said your friend's band were really good and such. Yet his/their band sounded like crap? Maybe they just sucked.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Bad equiptment can hold back a good musician, but good equiptment doesn't necesarily make a good musician.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by RandyismyIdol
Both play an important role. I've seen some kids do a concert at my school with real tube Marshall half-stacks and some Gibsons. They played horribly. They sounded like they were banging pots and pans. I'd say although good equipment really polishes your sound, you still need to play it polished for it to sound any good.

that nearly made me cry. Kids in your school have Gibsons and Marshalls? Where do you live, Beverly Hills?

Anyway, I'd say gear DOES matter alot, but not nearly as much as talent.
Dickless.
^Plenty of people in my school/me have Gibson's and Marshalls. It is called "Get a Job".
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
give vai or malmsteen a squier with a 10W amp, and they will still rock the hell out of the guitar

skill is more important than the gear