I'm planing to get a G&L tribute S-500. I read in harmony central, that it rocks, and that it just ownz the american fender strat standard, and it got a 9.3 score on sound, and similar notes on action and many othr features. so i said to myself, damn, such a good guitar, so cheap, i gotta get it.
but today when i asked my guitar teacher about G&L, he showed me a pic of him with a G&L, and told me not to buy them, and that they suck.

Now im confused. From one side, its a guitar manufactered by leo fender. It has an awesome feedback in harmony central, and it has nice specs.
from the other side, my teacher tells me not to waste my money on it and that it sucks.

I'd check them myself but i have to go to tel aviv to try them because in israel they only sell G&L's in tel aviv, and thats like 35 km from my home.

So what do you ppl have to say about the G&L tribute S-500?

P.S: (i love heavy metal and hard rock so i was planing to change their pickups to some duncan hotrails. that works fine for fender (actually thats what iron maiden players do). will it work fine for G&L?)
well i've never heard of these guitars personally, but i don't think 35km is that far to go to try out a guitar if ur serious about it
God am i devilishly good looking
well everyone has their opinions. you need to try to play one. if you like it, it doesnt matter if the entire world thinks it sucks. well unless uour are completely tone deaf or something lol...

so just your guitar teacher might not like something, you might like it a lot
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by InanezGuitars44 at Aug 9, 2006,
My guitar teacher is the one of the best players and teachers around and he owns a G&L Tele that he says is the best guitar he's ever played
Basically what went down is Leo Fender left Fender Instruments...etc and when to found Music Man/ErnieBall, then left that and founded G&L with George Fullerton, also formerly of Fender. G&L kick ass. Seriously, they're like Fender but way better. Go for it.
i have some more advice haha. do some more research on the guitar, and a whole lot of other guitars, to see a bunch that you might like. then make the trip to the guitar shop and try out a bunch of different guitars that you researched. and some that you didnt. then you will be a lot closer to finding a guitar that you want. so the trip would be worth it
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by sadistic_monkey
If you play heavy metal, why the hell are you using single coils??

thats why i want to put hotrails or humbuckers
If you can, get it with a bridge Bucker and have a coiltap.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by zekk
If you can, get it with a bridge Bucker and have a coiltap.

what's a coiltap?
It splits the bridge pup into a single coil to give you tres versatility.

G&L = what Fender would have been had the Fender stayed in Fender, if you can dig.
haha
Did your teacher even back up his statement as to why they suck?
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
just about everything on harmony central either gets rave reviews or complete ****. dont base your purchase entirely on that.
the g&l invader might be closer to what youre looking for.
Quote by urik
what's a coiltap?

Quote by MetalUpTheAss
It splits the bridge pup into a single coil to give you tres versatility.

Actually, I believe that is called a coilSPLIT.
Coil tap has a somewhat warmer effect in my personal exprience. Just a little different
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic