I am having difficulty making my bends/ vibrato sound good. (11's, rg321)
if i vibrato, i always kind of pull the string off the fret board. WHen i bend, its not very strong and the "b" and "g" string kinda get stuck in between my nail and the pad of my finger (mostly index) . WHen i bendup, it always pulls the sking away from the nail. ANy ideas?

If your ideas is to "practice", i am well aware of that. I want to make sure my technique is correct so i can get the most out of practice. For the record, this is only on the high e string.

Thanks.
Try shaking your finger horizontally instead of vertically for your vibrato. The same thing happens to me with my bends though. The other string doesn't make noise, but it kinda hurts after a while, haha.
Quote by HorridxHopes
Try shaking your finger horizontally instead of vertically for your vibrato. The same thing happens to me with my bends though. The other string doesn't make noise, but it kinda hurts after a while, haha.

Classical style, good idea. It might not sound good un-plugged in, but with dist. It would probably be fine. Thanks.
Uh, use more than one finger, and make sure the first direction of your vibration is up so you'll have a wider vibration without flying off the fretboard. I sometimes get the problem with b/g string, try using more than one finger, usually when I have two or three fingers when I bend, the other ones push up the b and g string so they don't get in the way.
Cut your finger nails! As short as possible for better feel and better bends. Whan you make a vibrato make sure that you use the whole arm to get that vibrating sound and not just multiple bends. This is very difficult to get perfectly down, but it's the only way to make that nice and smooth vibrato as well as the raw sustaining vibrato.

Good luck!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by MySweetFracture
Classical style, good idea. It might not sound good un-plugged in, but with dist. It would probably be fine. Thanks.

Indeed, I always use a classical vibrato.. verticals always sound like bends because I can't do the arm motion right.
i actually didnt know you were sposed to bend up for vibrato tell about less then a year ago

so the classical style is fine i quess

and theres always the slight vibrato on the trem arm(if you got one)
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Quote by Muppet
Cut your finger nails! As short as possible for better feel and better bends. Whan you make a vibrato make sure that you use the whole arm to get that vibrating sound and not just multiple bends. This is very difficult to get perfectly down, but it's the only way to make that nice and smooth vibrato as well as the raw sustaining vibrato.

Good luck!

Good post, thanks for your input. Im working on the "whole" arm vibrato (trying everyday, i figure another month or so and i will have it down decent). My nails are Extremely short, i cant stand having long nails. Im also going to try the more than one finger bend. Thanks guys.
For the top E string I usually do vibrato horizontally, but use vertical vibrato with the other 5 (or more..) strings. Mainly because of the lack of room on the neck to bend the top string vertically.

TO be honest I would just experiment with vertical and horizontal vibrato, and using different fingers. See what works for you and what sounds the best. Vertical vibrato, 'tis all in the wrist!!
Quote by HorridxHopes
Indeed, I always use a classical vibrato.. verticals always sound like bends because I can't do the arm motion right.

Classical vibratos are good for classical or jazz... if you are a rock/blues/metal/anythingwithelectricsolos then you should do a uh "verticle vibrato" as you or someone else called it

To the thread maker: Are you using your thumb for support? 11's are hard to do vibratos on also - Try tuning down half a step and see if anything is easier - but make sure nothing is harder, if so, then I would recomend switching string guages down to 10's...

BTW - you do a vibrato in the "wrist" not the "whole arm" I don't know what people are talking about.. You rock your wrist (put your thumb on top... or bottom of the neck if you are feeling like eric clapton), it takes a while to get, some people a lot slower/faster than others, but once you get it it's cake. Just rock the wrist
Last edited by shorter_rocker at Aug 9, 2006,