how do u guys play power chords, esp. the ones with the root on the 5th string, without hitting other strings? with the ones on the 5th string i always hit the top string or whatever. how do u get around this?
uhhhh practice i gues or play slower to make sure u dont hit anything then get faster
myspace.com/thecarlandbenextravaganza1

my band ^
The best thing to do is to not flail your picking hand around like Pete Townshend. Keep control of it, and pick either from the wrist or by moving the fingers that you hold the pick with in an in and out motion. Now, prepare to die,,,,,,
mute that string with the tip of your index finger, so it doesnt have a chance to make any sound, or if your middle finger is free use that finger

you just have to rest it on the string, dont fret any notes
Quote by mickyd
mute that string with the tip of your index finger, so it doesnt have a chance to make any sound, or if your middle finger is free use that finger

you just have to rest it on the string, dont fret any notes

Definitely the best way if you're new to guitar as you don't have to worry about hitting the wrong strings and lets you be far more confident.
Quote by Gaz_m2k5
A gibson sg isn't the same as that plastic thing you got with your copy of "guitar hero"
ya mute it if you have to eventually you will get better i can flail all about and move my hand like im crazy and still hit it pefect it comes with practice
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join