I have two crates now and the tone is killer. ive droped and beat the **** outa this amps and they are just as good as the day i got them. But i have never tryed a Marshell. So anyone that has owned or tryed both could you give me yer opinion on which one is best? of course its for HEAVY ****EN METAL!!!!
for heavy metal? neither. go get yourself a mesa boogie.

EDIT: i reread the title. i've never actually heard of marshell amps. still with the mesa boogie. cheaper than a decent marshall amp, too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Last edited by tubab0y at Aug 9, 2006,
Im assuming youre talking about a cheap SS Ctate vs. an MG or an AVT. If thats the case...they all suck.
low end: crate is better
high end: marshall owns crate

but since you play heavy metal, neither really.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old
for heavy metal only i would say just get a roland cube
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by tubab0y
still with the mesa boogie. cheaper than a decent marshall amp, too.

You kidding me? Mesa boogies are a whole lot more $$$$$ than marshalls are

If you are into metal, then marshall is the way to go. Believe it or not crate makes this amazing tube amp which is amazing for rock and blues (and only around 400-500$), but not so awesome for metal. Marshalls can get a great metal tone if you want to spend 1000$. The thing about marshalls are they can be very high maintance amps. I own a marshall DSL 401 (which is FOR SALE if you want it) and the tubes in it only last me a year
For metal, you cant beat peavey. its what a lot of metal god use, including atreyu, trivium, man millions others. plus van halen use to play a peavey, that should be reason enough to get their gear.

oh by the way, ive owned enough crate gear in my life to know to stay the **** away from that company. but im sure there are some that feel that way about marshalls, which i would say is the leader in stacks.
Marshall's really aren't good for metal. If you want to play metal through a Marshall (really even a Crate too) you're gonna need a nice Distortion Pedal for good sound. Mesa Boogie really is the way to go for good metal tone. Krank isn't bad either.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

I've heard that some tube crates (blue voodoo's I think they were called) were actually quite nice. Marshalls... meh. Love/hate for most people. Metal...maybe. Super hcore metal....nah. mesa or peavey, randall, b-52 for more metalcoreness. Marshalls are good for metal, just not like modern metal. you can get great sabbath tones out of them, maybe some metallica, but no megadeth, slayer, trivium or anything. Good punk tones too, I think. lot of people like the jcm 2000 for punk. RHCP uses marshalls.... whoa, tangent.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Breedlove AD25/SM Acoustic
Chandler Les Paul w/Duncan Alnico II-Pro & Pearly Gates
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
He's like Elton John but with a guitar, more stylish clothes, and not gay.
Quote by PapaDelicious
Marshalls are good for metal, just not like modern metal. you can get great sabbath tones out of them, maybe some metallica, but no megadeth, slayer, trivium or anything

That's a horrible inacurrate statement all those bands: Trivium, slayer, metallica and megadeth all use(d) marshalls. Slayer still uses them to this day, mustaine uses marshalls, and metallica used them early on in their career, go look up heafy's equipment and you'll see he uses marshalls as well. Granted, most of them probably use an overdrive pedal or two, but still they all use marshalls. Don't make a statement like that when you don't even know what you're talking about.
Last edited by pierce34celtic at Aug 9, 2006,
Alot of people say marshall and crate dont have good dist? I think there are just lazy noobs who cant adjust a knob or 2. On all my crates i have the dist set to only 5 or 6 and thats plenty. at 10 its way more dist then even the Death Metal Pedal.
Ive never heard of or ever played a Marshell so i cant tell you anything bout em......

I have a Marshall VS100 Head and i play metal with it because i think its pretty ****in heavy. Maybe most marshalls cant do metal good but mine sure can..........I think the VS series are discontinued or something.
only slightly. alexi laiho uses a passive emg with a lot of mids through I forget what amp. If you buy an alexi laiho sig and put on a lot of mids, you will not sound like alexi laiho.
1.) you are not alex laiho
2.) you don't have the rest of his rig (probably)
3.) you're definitely not playing as loud as that mother****er

amp/axe that tone does not make. the best way to achieve that tone is not always with that amp, because studio recordings and racks etc have a lot more in them. so you, the bedroom/garage or whatever warrior that you are may sound better with not their amp.

Metallica doesn't really use marshalls now, I rescind my statement only on the bc rich using slayer and mustaine, but I will continue that it will not be the best amp that you can get to use for that style. and none of those bands are on guitargeek, though I do believe you. And I'm not a trivium fan really, just heard a few of their songs, didn't sound too marshall-y.

oh, and I know I didn't mention before, but scott ian from anthrax uses a randall. so did dimebag (durr :P), and spitz uses his own handwired custom amps, so good luck replicating those.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
Last edited by PapaDelicious at Aug 9, 2006,
For gods sake people, go to the ****ing guitar store and try them out. Why are you asking everyone else to tell you what sound you're going to like best? Thats like asking for an opinion on what your favorite color should be.
"If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind."
-Kurt Vonnegut
green, of course.
1995 MIM Fender Strat
Little Big Muff Pi
Dunlop Crybaby
Vox AD50VT

Quote by CheeseMuffin909
Zakk Wylde.
Quote by PapaDelicious
I've heard that some tube crates (blue voodoo's I think they were called) were actually quite nice. Marshalls... meh. Love/hate for most people. Metal...maybe. Super hcore metal....nah. mesa or peavey, randall, b-52 for more metalcoreness. Marshalls are good for metal, just not like modern metal. you can get great sabbath tones out of them, maybe some metallica, but no megadeth, slayer, trivium or anything. Good punk tones too, I think. lot of people like the jcm 2000 for punk. RHCP uses marshalls.... whoa, tangent.

Blue Voodoo's sound great, beautiful reverb.

Crate's new V-series sounds great as well, though the V-Series do not do metal without a boost.
for all you who say crate sucks:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-RFX65-Combo-Amp?sku=487823

that amp is sick(so is the 120 watt). most arent up to par with other amps but this one hits hit. also the V series is awsome. the rest are meh.
Quote by gallagher2006
This one time I went out at night and sexually assaulted 2 girls then murdered them and hid their bodies never to be found.

I pwned as a 7 year old