Alright, I just got back from the local guitar shop. I currently own a Fender Standard Stratocaster - http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...itar?sku=516037
I've had the Strat for 3 years now, and Im looking for something new.
I demo'd the Standard Epiphone Les Paul. And I thought it was awesome.
But, what are some of the key factors I should be looking for in my next guitar? I thought some advice would help me out in my future decision. Thanks!
maybe Ibanez if a fast neck and a floyd is what your looking for, but since you tried out a les paul i'm guessing its not. if you want something les paul-ish check out some schecters (C1 Elite, C1 Plus, Omen 6)
What are your styles?
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
This what you get when you mess with us.
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, it's pretty great and looks great compared to other guitars around $450 at Guitar Center.
Quote by ohio_emokid
then youll get caught and i'll laugh and poop on your head
Quote by SavageNights
Nine

^^^^ I am well known!
Quote by burningcowsrule
My balls are great thanks. Thats a phrase I never thought I'd see myself use...
Quote by Leonheart
You're a strange one 1__3__8.

^^^^ Why yes, yes I am.
For it's price and quality it's pretty good. I play my just like I bought it, I haven't added anything. My amp is a Alesis Wildfire30, it has a lot of presettings of effects but theres no pedal so it's all on the amp. It's 30 watts.
Quote by ohio_emokid
Quote by SavageNights
Nine

^^^^ I am well known!
Quote by burningcowsrule
Quote by Leonheart

^^^^ Why yes, yes I am.
It's great for it's pricing. Gibsons and Epiphones are basicly the same thing. Gibson owns Epiphone (they are technically the same company). They sound almost exactly the same (a small small small small.. difference in sound). The only difference is the finish, paintjobs and everything.
Quote by ohio_emokid
Quote by SavageNights
Nine

^^^^ I am well known!
Quote by burningcowsrule
Quote by Leonheart

^^^^ Why yes, yes I am.
Quote by edg
That IS the key factor. What else do you need? Or, are you afraid you don't
know how to judge "awesome"?

no, I dont understand why some guitars are more expensive than others, so thats why Im asking what are the Key Factors. I thought the Epiphone Les Paul I demod at Guitar Center was great. I'm also going to demo a Schecter, because they seem to have good reviews.

This is what I'm looking at so far:
Epiphone B-Stock Les Paul Custom Electric Guitar
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Electric Guitar
Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Electric Guitar
Quote by teamslapaho
no, I dont understand why some guitars are more expensive than others, so thats why Im asking what are the Key Factors. I thought the Epiphone Les Paul I demod at Guitar Center was great. I'm also going to demo a Schecter, because they seem to have good reviews.

The price is the price. It doesn't necessarily reflect how good the guitar is or
make one better than another.

Just about everyone who buys the guitar will give it a great review. That doesn't
make it a great guitar for you. When you ask about a guitar, a bunch will tell
you its great, another bunch will tell you it sucks, the rest will tell you to get an
Ibanez.

You're doing the best thing you can. Try them all and buy the one YOU like best.
That is TOTALLY the only criteria to go by.
Quote by teamslapaho
Rock/ Metal

How heavy is the metal you play?
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
yea, I like my amp enough.
The metal varies really. I'm not playing death metal or anything insane. I play stuff like Metallica, Dragonforce, Ozzy, Yngwie Malsteem, etc.
Do you play mostly metal or just rock?

If metal then maybe we should look into some ESPs and LTDs.
This is what you get.
This is what you get.
Quote by skateguitar7654

Not for the price of an Epi Les Paul, any thing around that price is Agathis AKA: Dead, dull.
Quote by skateguitar7654

I play mostly metal songs, although there is a fair share of rock. So...
Ok, well I've narrowed it down a little. After some other advice, and demoing more guitars.
My 2 choices have become:

Epiphone
Fender

I have the Fender Standard Strat now, and its been great. I'm getting a new guitar though, Ive had the STRAT for 3 years, and am ready for something new.
I like both of these 2 guitars about the same. I like Les Pauls a lot, but have never owned one. And I've owned 2 Fenders so far (Bullet, and Standard Strat) and I couldn't go wrong with either. SO, I'll probably make my decision by Monday, we'll see
hey were in the same boat... i have a strat and have been playing for 1 n half years and yea i demoed the epi lp and am thinking of buying it... i asked around for the differences and these are what seperates them

Epi LP
Fatter tone (great for metal)
2 pickups
Humbuckers
Wood
Heavier ( not to jump around with at a gig)
Fixed Neck
Black beauty has 3 pickups and i saw one for $659 at gc

Strat
Medium tone
3 pickups
Wood
Light
Trem bar
the les paul is no better than the guitar you have now, i would suggest a new amp.

I personally cannot stand the tone of G-DECS
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by f0rs@k3n21
hey were in the same boat... i have a strat and have been playing for 1 n half years and yea i demoed the epi lp and am thinking of buying it... i asked around for the differences and these are what seperates them

Epi LP
2 pickups
Humbuckers
Wood
Fixed Neck

Strat
Medium tone
3 pickups
Wood
Light
Trem bar

Thats cool. The Black Beauty is an awesome guitar. I may end up getting it. Im not 100% sure yet though.

Quote by Cocnut Rag
the les paul is no better than the guitar you have now, i would suggest a new amp.

I personally cannot stand the tone of G-DECS

-_- I just got my G-Dec about 4 months ago. It was an upgrade from the Fender 15g... I don't see anything wrong with the G-Dec, and I don't need a huge amp... yet...

I'll see
Quote by f0rs@k3n21

Epi LP
2 pickups
Humbuckers
Wood
Fixed Neck

Strat
Medium tone
3 pickups
Wood
Light
Trem bar

i wouldnt say it would have that much of a fatter tone thanks to the alder core. if you could ts you should take a look at the elitist range of guitars
Elitist is a little too expensive right now...
So, it seems people are saying upgrading from a Fender Standard Strat to a Les Paul Black Beauty isn't worth it... So, whatever