Alright me and my friend are starting a band and we are both guitarists, hes rythem, and im lead. We asked a drummer from our school whos the same age if hed be in our band, he said yeah, only if we paly some classic rock, we said "OK" and went on. We still havent gotten together to play except for me and the other guitarist. Now we've asked him if he would use a double bass pedal because me and the other guitarist love songs by Rush and Dream theater, but the drummer says Double Bass Pedals are for people who suck at drums, and he wont touch one. Is there any way we can try to convince him to use one?

And also i've notced that another person from a "Rock and Blues" Club at school who was a drummer and played tons of classic rock said he wont touch a Double Bass pedal either. Whats with Classic Rock players and Double Bass Pedals? I think they stick to the John Bonham simple drum set standard (Two toms, one ride on top of bass drum, etc). Should i just buy another bass drum instead of a pedal? :P
Mebbe its cause Classic Rock and blues doesn't really involve the Double Bass pedal so much. Maybe don't do double bass pedal songs
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
he probalby cant use one because it takes time to learn and build left leg muscle. 2 bass drums are easier and sound a bit better bit not practical and expensive (im a guitarist and drumma)
Quote by DevilsIsland
he probalby cant use one because it takes time to learn and build left leg muscle. 2 bass drums are easier and sound a bit better bit not practical and expensive (im a guitarist and drumma)

Same here, I have a drumset out in my shed i play it all the time. But either way i think if i got a double bass pedal i would play it just as i could a single bass (Meaning i think it would come to be easier). I air drum some of the times and i seem to be able to do a Double bass then and keep a tempo. But i wont know until i try it.

I might add also that he keeps saying that me and the guitarist are going to turn it into a Punk Band, but the thing is: WE FRIGGIN HATE PUNK, no offense to anyone, but to us... calling us a punk band is an insult.
Quote by jadefox02
Same here, I have a drumset out in my shed i play it all the time. But either way i think if i got a double bass pedal i would play it just as i could a single bass (Meaning i think it would come to be easier). I air drum some of the times and i seem to be able to do a Double bass then and keep a tempo. But i wont know until i try it.

I might add also that he keeps saying that me and the guitarist are going to turn it into a Punk Band, but the thing is: WE FRIGGIN HATE PUNK, no offense to anyone, but to us... calling us a punk band is an insult.

How is using a double bass punk ?
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by S0ulja23

How is using a double bass punk ?

Or for people who suck for that matter, LOOK AT NEIL PEART FOR HEAVENS SAKE!
ok... if he doesnt want to use it then dont try and make him. try and find someone who will. and if he wants to call you a punk band, who cares. get over it. if he is into classical and your into somthing heavier then it might sound weird having more classical like drums with whatever your doing (not saying that mixing sounds is bad). try writing some of your owne stuff maybe, and have him do his thing on the drums but just with no double bass. be original. mix sounds. besides, you should be able to trust every person to be able to bring there thing to the band and do their part.
Classic rock doesn't involve many double basses so they probly arent used to one, its just differant using your left foot that much since usually you dont on a hi hat. I play with a double bass pedal a bit and it takes a while to get used to. If you find someone who will, he'll probly be more your style of music anyway.
If he doesnt want to use a double bass pedal (i drum too and i consider them cheating) tell him to play with two bass drums. It takes a bit more coordintation and is more tiring but it sounds a hell of a lot better.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I'm a drummer who has used single & double bass. I prefer single bass now because it just gets too busy. Most drummers I hear over play it and I'm the only single bass player around my area. I've seen some 50 year old guy using a double bass pedal in a blues/country band. What was the purpose of that.. honestly? It's just a toy. Plus some drummers can play just as fast single bass as double bass players.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
He probably just watches all these drummers who start off learning drums with a double bass pedal, which is like the norm these days, but isn't good. It's important to have a well developed right foot, because using the doublebass for any kind of fast playing (or to "cheat" as he said) is just an unnecessary crutch. I can see why he doesn't like doublebass, but refusing to try it, and only wanting to play classical stuff is just being stubborn and outdated. My advice is to forget him and get a drummer who will contribute to the band constructively. People that think classic rock music and stuff is the only good music are just dead weight if you're in a band. Unless you want to play bars for your whole career, which you could do. But if you want your band to say something, that guy will bring you down.
We're only strays.
Yeah, i think we're going to drop him. The other guitrist's brother, who is alot better at drums, and is interested in our style and would try a double bass, says he thinks it takes too much dedication to start a band, and plus i think his brother (The other guitarist) is not that good at guitar, and he wont play with him in the band. Which sucks... Becuause hes good at drums.

Oh well, we'll keep looking.