I'm having problems finding what scales (my key) I should be using when I'm playing these chords: Am7, Dm7, Em7.

I'm playing with a bluesy feelm just to let you know.
Use an A pentatonic scale if you want a sort of bluesy feel. All those are the the key of Am.
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
I would use the C Blues scale. But im just saying that because its an awesone scale.
"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees"
-Emiliano Zapata
definately a 12 bar blues progression, so use either the a pentatonic or a blues scales
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Do whatever the crap sounds right, dude.

No.

and...

Quote by seamus90'
I would use the C Blues scale. But im just saying that because its an awesone scale.
...No.

Martyr's Prayer: I doubt any musician asking questions such as these knows how to get what "sounds right." You can't just ithink in key and it magically happens. You sound like an idiot when you say things like "just play whatever sounds right, man." Sorry to come off as the pompous asshole, but just think about it.

seamus90': Don't recommend a scale if it isn't right or has no relevance. What's the difference between C-blues and, say, Eb-blues? If I played one, waited an hour, and played the same thing on the other, you couldn't tell the difference. I won't even bother explaining my point.

As for the key of that progression, it's not necessarily 12-bar blues as aethspears suggested. In fact, I don't know how that came up, as standard 12-bar blues is in a major key, not a minor key. The three chords given (Am7, Dm7, Em7) are indeed the i-iv-v chords of Aminor, but since no suggestion of how or when they are played is stated, 12-bar blues can't be assumed in the least. Mikeoman's the only one to get it right: the key is Aminor. Play A aeolian over all of those chords, unless you choose to play modally, then it's A aeolian over Am7, D dorian over Dm7, and E phrygian over Em7.

red
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
Martyr's Prayer: I doubt any musician asking questions such as these knows how to get what "sounds right." You can't just ithink in key and it magically happens. You sound like an idiot when you say things like "just play whatever sounds right, man." Sorry to come off as the pompous asshole, but just think about it.

Man you're a pompous A-hole. If it goes, play it. I dunno, maybe you sit down to write a guitar part without the guitar, and just think of abunch of theory stuff, but I sit down with my guitar and friggin play. Yeah sure, theory is a good way to maybe get some more ideas, or communicate to other's what you're playing, but some of the best riffs I've written happened when I picked up the guitar and played what I felt. I can look at a fretboard and know where to go next for the sound I want, and if that's "thinking in key," then yeah I can do it. When I said "play what sounds right," I ment just figure it out on the fretboard. Sit down with your guitar and experiment and use your ears.

I think you're just in a bad mood.
We're only strays.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer
Man you're a pompous A-hole. If it goes, play it. I dunno, maybe you sit down to write a guitar part without the guitar, and just think of abunch of theory stuff, but I sit down with my guitar and friggin play. Yeah sure, theory is a good way to maybe get some more ideas, or communicate to other's what you're playing, but some of the best riffs I've written happened when I picked up the guitar and played what I felt. I can look at a fretboard and know where to go next for the sound I want, and if that's "thinking in key," then yeah I can do it. When I said "play what sounds right," I ment just figure it out on the fretboard. Sit down with your guitar and experiment and use your ears.

The threadstarter asked what scales he should use. Last time I checked, "whatever the crap sounds right" isn't a scale. If he had enough experience to know how to play what sounded right, he wouldn't be asking us. I doubt he saw your answer and thought to himself, "Oh wait, all I have to do is play what sounds right! Duh!" Sorry if that came out as harsh but I'm explaining why I doubt you helped him.

If he's in a band setting, he's not going to have time so sit down and experiment with his playing if he has to improvise.
Quote by Martyr's Prayer

What if he has to improv on the spot, or with a band, he won't get to play around the fretboard for what sounds good.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
What if he has to improv on the spot, or with a band, he won't get to play around the fretboard for what sounds good.

If he sits down now, and gets to really know the stuff, then he'll be ready for that. I just don't really believe in awhole lot of theory, although I do use it, I think it's more important to develope youe ears and spend time on your guitar experimenting and expressing yourself and using your ears instead of tabs. Obviously different beliefs than you guys.
We're only strays.
Ok. First of all, cool it, Martyr. You're way too insistent about this.

MobiusMan asked for a specific scale to use over a specific chord progression. "Whatever sounds right" is a bullshiit answer and you know it.

If, as you suggest, this guy had a bunch of time to "get to know his stuff," then guess what? He'll be thinking "A aeolian." At the very least, he'll know the shape on the guitar and play within that. I don't ****ing get how you answer "whatever sounds good" and keep on with it. Christ, this isn't a "theory or no theory?" argument, it's completely irrelevent to that. My complaint with you is that you refuse to atone for your poor answer.

If you have further problems with your inability to answer simple questions, PM me.

red
Quote by tombomb22
whats the formula for the blues scale?

Whatever sounds right.

It's 1, b3, 4, #4, 5, b7 if I'm not mistaken. It's just a minor pentatonic scale with a #4 added (or a b5, whichever you want to call it, I don't think it makes a difference which one it's called in this case).
Wow, didn't think my simple post would start a flame war!

But, for those who did put in a decent response, thanks. For some further info, I'm palying what I guess you'd call a standard progression. Here's what it looks like:

Am7, Am7, Dm7, Am7, Am7, Dm7, Am7, Em7, Dm7, Em7, Dm7, Am7

That's all I'm using. That's just strumming the chords for background. Finding the key was what I needed to help when I was devising the melodic part.

I've been playing with the A blues pentatonic and its coming along.
Quote by Mobius Man
Wow, didn't think my simple post would start a flame war!

But, for those who did put in a decent response, thanks. For some further info, I'm palying what I guess you'd call a standard progression. Here's what it looks like:

Am7, Am7, Dm7, Am7, Am7, Dm7, Am7, Em7, Dm7, Em7, Dm7, Am7

That's all I'm using. That's just strumming the chords for background. Finding the key was what I needed to help when I was devising the melodic part.

I've been playing with the A blues pentatonic and its coming along.

Using A Aeolian will work just fine but it's kind of the slacker approach. Also, while doing what redwing_sucks suggested and playing A Aeolian, D Dorian and E phrygian works too .. I would be tempted to use Dorian over each for more flavour.

Traditionaly Dorian is played over a min7 chord. This isn't a hard rule .. just a traditional approach. Aeolian and Phrygian work too .. but then you're staying in the same key .. and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that .. but you'll get more "flavour" if you try playing a natural 6 over each chord. Also, the b3 with the natural 6 create a tritone that's very interesting to listen to and creates tension that you can use to your advantage in your phrasing.

So try A Dorian, D Dorian and E Dorian. If you don't like it then stick to Aeolian or try the common-key modal approach of using Aeolian, Dorian and Phrygian.

You can even mix it up and use, say, Dorian over 2 chords, phrygian over a 3rd .. or mix it up even more and try something random ... A Dorian, A phrygian, D Dorian, A Aeolian etc. ... would sound interesting lol
Last edited by garett at Aug 10, 2006,
^Yeah, any mode with a minor third and a minor seventh will work. Good call gar.

Forgot the "dorian is usual for m7 chords" guideline...