Page 1 of 2
Don't get me wrong, Ibanez still makes the most awesome guitars on the planet, the equivalent of a Japaneses Samurai sword, but are they going out of style?

By going out of style, I mean I haven't seen any new fresh talent out of an Ibanez player since the 80's.

I believe the pinnacle of the Ibanez company occured in the 80's shred era, giving birth to Vai, Satch, Gilbert, Petrucci, Jason Becker, among others. The 90's and korn and seven string guitars somehow may have killed Ibanez, and I haven't seen a great player (who can step up to vai) since.

Just an opinion of mine. No offense to the Ibanez eliteists.
I agree with you but Ibanez still make some great guitar not all of of them are good though...

I used to love Ibanez but became an ESp addict

that dam m II in maple fretboard and duncans is such a dam sexy guitar and playing and sound so sick
I hate Ibanez. I tried a bunch before and couldn't get anything but a metal sound from it. I don't find there's any tone to it or it's players. But that's just me.

Plus Ibanez just seems like a fad now. Someone says "I need a good guitar for country or blues" and someone says Ibanez. Everywhere you look someone wants one just because Steve Vai or someone famous has one.
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by rockgodman
what about that dude from dragonforce. i saw an ibanez add with him. hes new

Yea they play ibanez but i would not say they are some great guitar player,sure there fast but thats all they can do.
And am a fan of shred but when its done the right way.
If you listin to there music its like the same songs playing over and over with a different name.
Herman Li is an oddity, but he does have the virtuostic vibe of earlier Ibanez players.

Quote by shorter_rocker
What are you guys waiting for then? Someone go get famous

Yeah, good luck getting famous without any help from MTV or radio. Stupid MTV won't play Vai, nor will radio. Think of all the wasted talent that could have been harnessed from the inspired youth.
herman li - dragonforce

case closed
My Amazing Gear:
Parker PM20
Parker P-38
Ampeg R212R Reverbrocket
Yamaha YPT-300
It could have something to do with the fact that all of the guys using the Ibanezs are just unoriginal, and playing plain boring shred stuff that we all heard in the 80s.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Herman Li is good, and definately has the 80s vibe going on.

Jani lieetman or w.e his name is, hes an excellent player, not sure really if his band was 90s or recent...

But to be honest, its not jut ibanez, its everything today.

Id like to bring back the 80s, or at least good guitar solos.
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
When was Ibanez ever 'in-style'? They're guitars are ugly and (every one that I've played) has sounded like complete ****.
Quote by HorridxHopes
When was Ibanez ever 'in-style'? They're guitars are ugly and (every one that I've played) has sounded like complete ****.

i agree
What do you mean 'out of style'? They didn't make the players, the players made them. Calm down.
#12 of the "Ibanez SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4life SZ! to join!
Quote by madpickin03
http://www.ozielzinho.com/

But didnt get endorsed coz wat....he's from brazil?

HOLY SH*T!!!!

edit: in a good way
Quote by 86th fret
my testes turned blue from just reading that. i mean just imagine that they would ****ing burst and your... omg..

Quote by acrocks
i'd bite the zombies so they'd turn into me
Bet they wouldn't see that coming
I love my Ibanez. It still looks great, and sounds fine.
People seem to think ibanez are for metal only, but I can play pretty much anything on my RG, and it sounds great.
Omar Rodrigez(sp?)-Lopez from the Mars Volta uses custom Ibanez AX120's. The Mars Volta is newer, and has a pretty unique sound.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
unique sound but in no way a guitar great. No good players have come weilding an ibanez since the guys of the 80s. Herman li sux anyone who pratices long enough can sweep pick 400 notes a second it takes skill to turn it into something great he just rights the same boring **** over and over.

The only guys i see playing ibanez now adays are The Offspring they arent technically good but there the only guys i know playing them. and there music is cool alt rock though they are from the late 80s early 90s so i guess they dont really count. I guess there just gonna go to the way side like KRAMER
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Meh, never liked the designs anyway. To hell withthem.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Ibanez are some of the best guitars around IMO, great trem, great necks, not too good stock pups but a quick change and your sorted, also the headstock is pretty cool :p
uhh have you heard of herman li from dragonforce? and i know tons of other guitar players that use ibanez
Some guitar companies thrive while others die its all personal tase of the rising players. Kramers were huge in the 80s look at them now. ESP is taking over in metal with Jackson and Schecter not far behind them. PRS dominating everything that isnt metal. Dean and washburn are kinda just idleing by. UNfortunatly i think Ibanez is just kinda gonna die off i mean they allready stopped making pedals didnt they.

Oh and of Course Gibdson and Fender are still selling out the ass just based on their names alone

Oh and Herman Li blows its the same boring **** over and over if i want to listen to boring sweeping over and over i listen to Yngwie or shoot myself they both get the job done ie my brain dies. The only decent Ibanez player recently would be like Jani from Sonata Artica even then i dont know how long he has been famous or endorsed by them.
Last edited by Syn Harvest at Aug 9, 2006,
Quote by madpickin03
http://www.ozielzinho.com/

But didnt get endorsed coz wat....he's from brazil?

is he using a low end RG?

EDIT: just saw the equipment list and it looks like he swapped out the pups and did some other stuff to it, and that song is awesome, I just heard that song and I was like x10
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Last edited by giorgio1210 at Aug 9, 2006,
How exactly is Omar Rodrigez-Lopez not a good guitarist? He writes unique sounding stuff and is great at improvising. Usually those are signs of being a good guitarist, are they not?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Unique stuff but not Technically amazing im not saying he is a bad guitarist im just stating he is no virtuoso though i dont know i havent listened a vast amount of Mars but from what i have heard its unique but not outstanding technical playing
^Some of the stuff on Frances the Mute is a bit more complex, but yes, I see your point. Nothing like shred.

But still, he's a decent Ibanez-playing guitarist.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
IM not talking shre dyou can be a technically proficient player and not play shred i personally believe Dime, Zakk and Randy to be three of the best guitarists to ever live yet none of them play shred
You do realize that because an artist is endorsed by a brand, they aren't limited to playing just that brand. I have seen kirk hammett play ibanez guitars, you apparently haven't heard of rusty cooley, and many concerts I have gone to expecting to see gibsons, fenders, jacksons, ect, there are still ibanez guitars being played here and there. And you can see them on the racks in the back of the stage.

I personally don't like them, but that doesn't mean that many other people don't either.
And since when does a certain guitar brand become the "stylish brand, the best right now", ect? Each brand has it's own style that it tends to accomodate best.

Plus you have to realize Ibanez is a Japanese company. It may not seem to be everywhere in the US (though they are), they are definately popular in Japan, just like Americans tend to think of a Fender or Gibson when the term guitar comes to mind.

This isn't fact by any means, just my observation.
Quote by ClassicAxe
Herman Li is good, and definately has the 80s vibe going on.

Jani lieetman or w.e his name is, hes an excellent player, not sure really if his band was 90s or recent...

But to be honest, its not jut ibanez, its everything today.

Id like to bring back the 80s, or at least good guitar solos.

If you think there havent been any good guitar solos since the 80s you should be shot.

Syn Harvest you have no clue what you're talking about. The only really repetitive dragonforce album is their latest. However much I'll give that to you, you cannot say dragonforce suck. You simply don't like their style. Technically Herman and Sam are proficient as anyone, they CAN play guitar, if they choose to play the same riffage over and over again then so be it. You know who did the same thing? Randy Rhoads, Dimebag Darrel and Zakk Wylde. You know why? Thats their mother****ing STYLE. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it sucks. Herman and Sam are on a completely different teir of guitar playing than Wylde Dimebag and Rhoads were on or ever would be. Not saying they suck, because god knows I love Rhoads and Dimebag, but jesus ****, you're ignorant.

On topic:

Ibanez playing shredders from the 90s-00s :: Chris Broderick of Jag Panzer fame. he ****ing molests those damn guitars.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Aug 9, 2006,
emphatic +1
you guys must be some phenominal players to say he sucks.

"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Aug 10, 2006,
Ibanez guitars are easily the best guitars for the price....but a mid end model from them...upgrade pickups and tuners, and you have a guitar that plays just as good as a 2.5K PRS.....

You won't believe me, but I have played them head to head.....through a REAL setup...

I'm actually buying my 3rd Ibanez within the week
well, if you think about it, there really haven't been that many new shredders besides Herman Li and maybe JerryC if we're counting him. i mean, theres plenty of great new guitarists but none that really make me go "wow, he's really good" like Vai/Satch/Petrucci do.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Ibanez guitars are easily the best guitars for the price....but a mid end model from them...upgrade pickups and tuners, and you have a guitar that plays just as good as a 2.5K PRS.....

You won't believe me, but I have played them head to head.....through a REAL setup...

I'm actually buying my 3rd Ibanez within the week

laff. Just stop.
Unearth's 2 guys (i heart their S7's), Matt Bachand Shadows Fall & Doug Doppler.
Ovation Celebrity
MIJ STRAT
Ibanez Prestige S1220WNF
modded Ibanez GAX75
Fender tuner-DIGITECH EX-7-BOSS SD1-Ibanez CF7-Tech 21 TM 60
(LOOP)Boss DD20(Loop)
My soundclick page
Quote by giorgio1210
is he using a low end RG?

EDIT: just saw the equipment list and it looks like he swapped out the pups and did some other stuff to it, and that song is awesome, I just heard that song and I was like x10

Yeah, he used an RG350DX old model, which has Edge Pro II installed in them, i think...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Austrorammer
Mick Thompson from Slipknot plays Ibanez, he's very good.;-)

Just kidding guys;-)

Mick Thompson still pwns your fucking face.

And Ibanez is probably at their zenith in terms of sales.
haha
the between the buried and me guitartists dustie and paul are sponsored by ibanez they use an s i dont really think ibanez is dying just because your favorie band doesnt use one many unfamous players like us on the forums use ibanez
My guitars...

LTD H-1000
Epiphone Explorer
Fender Strat
Fender Acoustic

Amps...

Marshall Mode Four
fender frontman possibly for sale

Quote by Pleiadian
(with active EMG-HZ pickups)
upgrade pickups and tuners, and you have a guitar that plays just as good as a 2.5K PRS.....

since when do prs guitars play good? some of them have great tone, but they definitely arent the standard for good playing necks.

yea and whats a FAKE setup?
Tony MacAlpine, Dave Weiner, Marty Friedman, all play Ibanez...
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 ftw!
Page 1 of 2