what are the big differences between the jcm800 and 900? should i get an older one? or will a new one be pretty much the same?
they dont make new 800's or 900's...actually i think they reissued the 800's but tehy are now out of production too and i heard the originals are better anyways. And correct me if im wrong but i think the 900 came in a combo and the 800 came only as a head. overall ive heard better things about the 800.

EDIT: the 800 came as a combo too. sorry.
Last edited by captainkurt at Aug 9, 2006,
they reissued both and most do think the originals are better.

what kind of music do you play and what kind of guitar do you have
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
well at my local stores theres a bunch of new 800's and 900's... i play rockabilly, metal, blues, punk, metalcore, quite a bit of ****.. but still... whats the main difference between an 800 and 900, i see most people have 800's but why
800s are more classic sounding while the 900 is a tad bit more modern voiced its the link between the 800 and 2000 the 800 is classic voiced the 2000 modern the 900 is in between the 900 also has an additionaly channel although you can get a two channel 800
Quote by FrancheComa
well at my local stores theres a bunch of new 800's and 900's... i play rockabilly, metal, blues, punk, metalcore, quite a bit of ****.. but still... whats the main difference between an 800 and 900, i see most people have 800's but why

where the hell is this store?!? im sure people would pay through the ass for a new 800
they sound basically the same.

only a complete tone freak would really be able to tell a big difference. really, the only noticeable one to most is the 900 has more gain.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
they sound basically the same.

only a complete tone freak would really be able to tell a big difference. really, the only noticeable one to most is the 900 has more gain.

ya dereks right

Though there are diffences in models every model of 800 i have played i have liked but the 900s are different i didnt like anythign that wasnt an SL-X i think the SL-X is the best 900 and to me the 2203 is the best 800 hell its legendary
Quote by captainkurt
they dont make new 800's or 900's...actually i think they reissued the 800's but tehy are now out of production too and i heard the originals are better anyways. And correct me if im wrong but i think the 900 came in a combo and the 800 came only as a head. overall ive heard better things about the 800.

EDIT: the 800 came as a combo too. sorry.

I am correcting you. The 800 and 900 came in both a head and combo, 50 and 100 watt versions, 1 speaker and 2 speaker combo versions.
The 900 is probably a better all around amp than the 800. (I have the 4502 High Gain Dual reverb combo)
I would give a nut for a JCM 800 100 watt head, but its kind of a one trick pony. The trick is VERY good, though. The 900 has two independant channels, with seperate gains. It can do decent cleans and great distortion. Add a delay, Wah, EQ and flanger and you have a great rig.
^ congratulations
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone