Ok, so I got a long-overdue child support check today-looooong over due- and my mom gave me 1/3 of it to spend on whatever I may please. So, being as obsessed as I am with guitar, I decided to further my quest for the "ultimate rig". I bought a new laptop already, so basically I'm left with a $3,500 budget. I play in a local Beatles tribute band on occasion (for fun), surfer music, blues-based rock (ie Led Zeppelin, Cream), straight blues (ie Muddy Waters, Buddy Guy, SRV, John Mayer), oldies (ie Chuck Berry), and Southern Rock (The Allman Brothers Band). The heaviest thing I ever play (which is rarely) is a little GnR. Here's the list of what I need to complete my dream rig.

Guitars:
Gretsch Black Falcon w/ Bigsby (I prefer it to the White Falcon)
Rickenbacker 350V63
MIA Fender Tele
Gibson SG w/ P90's
PRS Custom 24
Custom Shop '57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty
original '66 Fender Jaguar (in Daphne Blue ONLY)

Amps
Fender Blues Deville
EDIT: Vox AC30 (listened to some sound clips and loved them)
Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553 head
another Marshall 1960a cab

My gear will be used for studio recording sessions and gigs (usually play to 500-800 people). I know I should pick what I like the best, but I want it ALL (afterall, it is my ideal equipment) so I need you guys to help me choose what to buy on my trip to Guitar Center on Friday.

PS if anyone can think of any effects I may need, feel free to add your ideas.
Last edited by colin617 at Aug 10, 2006,
with that much money, i'd get a custom CT6 carvin guitar and prolly there V3 combo or halfstack. oh yeah.... and i'd prolly still have money left over
Quote by yorkshireterror
Dunlop's got the right idea
Oh yeah, only took me a few months
Founder of the "I Support Robert Keeley Mods," if you like them too, put this in your sig!

i <3 breakdowns
Well, judging from the list of gear on your signature, I'd say that you've already got some pretty good gear as it is. And you're probably not going to want to hear this, but coming from a guy that never got his "long overdue" child support money...or any support money period...paying for college is a bitch. I'd say stow the money away and pay for some school man...unless this new gear is somehow going to get you bank by way of tips or studio paychecks. If you're playing some sessions for other people for cash, then the gear is worth it, but if you're not, I say make due with what you have or try to improve on the gear you've got now.

But if you want to splurge now and worry about the future when it gets here, concentrate on the guitar and not the amp, your JCM800 should be the best amp for your needs. If you're going to buy anything else at this point, buy something that could yield decent financial returns later on if you have to sell it. You should be able to grab a classic Gretsch or Gibson. I'd say grab something uncommon like the late 70's model Les Paul Signature. This should match the type of music you play fairly well, and it's a rare, oddball guitar. It's got a top half like an ES-335, but the lower cutaway like a Les Paul Standard. They're hard to find, but can be found in great quality in the $3000 ballpark.
Quote by TwoString
Well, judging from the list of gear on your signature, I'd say that you've already got some pretty good gear as it is. And you're probably not going to want to hear this, but coming from a guy that never got his "long overdue" child support money...or any support money period...paying for college is a bitch. I'd say stow the money away and pay for some school man...unless this new gear is somehow going to get you bank by way of tips or studio paychecks. If you're playing some sessions for other people for cash, then the gear is worth it, but if you're not, I say make due with what you have or try to improve on the gear you've got now.

But if you want to splurge now and worry about the future when it gets here, concentrate on the guitar and not the amp, your JCM800 should be the best amp for your needs. If you're going to buy anything else at this point, buy something that could yield decent financial returns later on if you have to sell it. You should be able to grab a classic Gretsch or Gibson. I'd say grab something uncommon like the late 70's model Les Paul Signature. This should match the type of music you play fairly well, and it's a rare, oddball guitar. It's got a top half like an ES-335, but the lower cutaway like a Les Paul Standard. They're hard to find, but can be found in great quality in the $3000 ballpark.

Yeah, my college education is basically taken care of due to some incredible financial planning by my mom. Go mom!

Also, my salary as a musician is pretty satisfactory. $9k last year off of royalties and tips and so on is pretty f'n sweet for someone my age.

and to the guy that recommended the AC30- I'll look into it.
Last edited by colin617 at Aug 10, 2006,
Quote by colin617
Yeah, my college education is basically taken care of due to some incredible financial planning by my mom. Go mom!

Also, my salary as a muscian is pretty satisfactory. $9k last year off of royalties and tips and so on is pretty f'n sweet for someone my age.

and to the guy that recommended the AC30- I'll look into it.

AC30's are fun amps.

I love Gretsch's
I suggest instead of a fender blues deville amp, go for a bassman or a twin. Much nicer amps IMO.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
^^ ......... The beatles on a roadking? He wouldnt use all the channels, waste of money really.

I'd say a vox AC with top boost if you can find one. Or a blackface fender bassman
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
get the Gretsch, the White Falcon is my all time dream guitar, so the Black Falcon must be pretty nice too.

seriosuly, get the Gretsch
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Okay, so maybe the roadking was a bit of overkill...but...but...it's awesome!!!!! The Beatles as you've never heard it before...why not?

An AC30 is good, but go for the Gretsch, I think it's the better investment.
why do you want the little vox?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ I was saying an AC (As in AC30 Twin). But an orignal top boost or super twin... the re-issues arent the same.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
^ nah, i meant in his list he had a vox valvetronix...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
you said you wanted an sg woth p-90s? the sg classic is out now and i think its limited so you might wanna check that out.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

that is some serious equipment dude wish i had all that gear ! lol maybe you could invest in a nice chorus pedal for your cleans ?
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570 w/ Swineys
Fender Standard Telecaster w/ Duncans
Ibanez RGT42DXFX w/ EMG

Amp
Behringer 15W Amp

Effects
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Quote by captain_jack
the fender deville would be sweet. definately try it.

I've been playing one in the local GC for about 4 months now and I'm in love with it. (Why I have yet to buy it, I don't know)
Quote by olix99
that is some serious equipment dude wish i had all that gear ! lol maybe you could invest in a nice chorus pedal for your cleans ?

Chorus cleans sounds like dirt.

Get the AC 30 for all your Clean sound needs.

And grab a tele.

If you want an Idea of how orgasmic that sounds

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/ac30/ac_30cc.htm

And click on video.

That and I love teles so... But 3,500 might be only enough for the AC30 which will be the best amp you'll ever play.

EDIT: Though the bastard doesnt play until like half way through.. what a turd..
Last edited by TimmyPage06 at Aug 10, 2006,
Blow it in your local Spearmint Rhino or equivalent "house o' fun".

You'll gets some blow of various kinds in return.

Mum money well spent!
Quote by davedoom
Blow it in your local Spearmint Rhino or equivalent "house o' fun".

You'll gets some blow of various kinds in return.

Mum money well spent!

I think I'll pass.
Quote by TimmyPage06
Chorus cleans sounds like dirt.

Get the AC 30 for all your Clean sound needs.

And grab a tele.

If you want an Idea of how orgasmic that sounds

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/products/ac30/ac_30cc.htm

And click on video.

That and I love teles so... But 3,500 might be only enough for the AC30 which will be the best amp you'll ever play.

EDIT: Though the bastard doesnt play until like half way through.. what a turd..

are you kidding me? my Small Clone makes my clean sound so much better
well thats probably because of my amp but still

i this Chorus Distortions sound worse than the cleans.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Jesus. If your in a beatele cover band (or anything that isnt heavey rock) i would go for the AC30 and that gretsch. That would be an ungodly rig.
Quote by igotabcrich32
are you kidding me? my Small Clone makes my clean sound so much better
well thats probably because of my amp but still

i this Chorus Distortions sound worse than the cleans.

Im not kidding you. I really despise the sounds of chorus cleans. That being, that's really just because I've heard waaayy too many Jazz players with them, and after a time it just gets... annoying?

Then again.. if you have like a Mesa Boogie Recto for example, then maybe you could use one to liven up the cleans. But the AC30 has kickass cleans, and so does the JCM, though you'll notice it less on the JCM because most gigging volume happens to be distorted with one, as it all tube, with rather early breakup, and only one channel for both clean and distortion sounds.

I suggest like.. the AC30 still.

Then you can get all those Beatles sounds. Plus you'll have the JCM for like.. heavier distortion when you need it.

I'd suggest against the PRS personally, I mean.. they look sweet and sound nice.. but arent very classic rock (and I really hate the feel of their necks).
thats cool if you dont like em, i just think they really liven up my tone, i really need to upgrade my amp to something with good cleans.
Ok guys, I'm back from Guitar Center and here's what I picked up.

Vox AC30CC2 Country Classic Combo
MIA Fender Ash Tele
Gibson SG Classic w/ P90's

...and I still have~$500 left.

Cheers to all that helped.
^ very nice choices there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?