First of all, the word basic is used loosly. This lesson teaches things more along the lines of simple playing. The lesson is composed into 3 parts plus a review at the end.

Part 1: Power Chords

Power chords are the most common chords in most modern rock songs. Everybody uses them. Power chords are basiclly composed of a root note and the note 7 half-steps above it. Occasionaly octaves are are added in, but this is the simpler power chord.

e|----|
  B|----|
  G|----|
  D|-7--|
  A|-5--|
  E|----|
You can also think of a power chord being a root note and then the next note 1 string and 2 frets over. But that doesn't always apply.

e|----| e|---|
  B|----| B|-3-|
  G|-7--| G|-2-|
  D|-7--| D|-0-|
  A|-5--| A|---|
  E|----| E|---|

Those are all power chords although the second one isn't as common. It is the same as the power chord to the left of it. Those two power chords both have the octave of the five in them. It's the second 7 on the first one and the 3 on the last one. In drop D power chords one the E string look like this:

e|---|
  B|---|
  G|---|
  D|-5-|
  A|-5-|
  D|-5-|

The root is two steps lower so you must raise it back up.

Part 2: Palm Muting

Palm muting is self-defined by it's name. You use the palm of your hand to mute the guitar. You palm mute by placing the very back of your hand next to where the wrists connects to your hand on the bottom of the strings near the bridge. The further back your wrists are on the guitar, the chunkier the sound you'll get out of it. Palm muting is usually represented in TAB in these two ways:

e|--------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------------------------------|
G|--------------------------------------------|
D|--------------------------------------------|
A|-2222--2222--2222--2222--2222--2222--2222---|
E|-0000--0000--0000--0000--0000--0000--0000---|
  PM ..  ....  ....  ...   ....  ....  ...

e|--------------------------|
B|--------------------------|
G|--------------------------|
D|--------------------------|
A|-22xx--xxxx--2xx2--22x2---|
E|-00xx--xxxx--0xx0--00x0---|

The x's mean to mute the open string instead of the power chord unless noted. Palm muting is overall pretty simple.

Part 3: Ocatves

Octaves are composed exactly of what their name says; two notes and different octaves. If you don't know what an octave note is it's simple. It's a note at a different pitch of the same note at another pitch. A perfect example it the two E strings. They are ocatves to eachother, but don't think of them as one ocatve aparty. They are two. The second fret of the D string is the middle E. The simplest way to think of an octave is to think of it as a three part power chord without the middle note. You mute the middle note with the finger you use to finger the root. If you have trouble doing this at first then you can use a seperate finger to lay lightly on the middle string. Octaves look like this:

e|---|
  B|---|
  G|-7-|
  D|-x-|
  A|-5-|
  E|---|

If you see and ocatve without the x don't worry. It's the same thing just not marked. Just like power chords, ocatves can be modified to fit certain tunings. If you have a G string tuned to an A, like Tremonti does in Open Your Eyes, the octaves look like this:

e|---|
  B|---|
  G|-5-|
  D|-x-|
  A|-5-|
  E|---|

Review

Well, you made it to the end. If followed anything I said at least a little bit than you can probably figure out everything you need as far as modifing power chords and ocataves goes. Power chords, palm muting, and octaves are all simple things to play and to learn. Just remember power chords have a root, the note 7 steps higher, and occasionally an octave. Palm muting uses your palm to mute the note(duh!). Octaves are the root and it's ocatave. And that's the end of this lesson.
Last edited by sumguy67 at Aug 10, 2006,

I don't know if people will really find this helpful...

However, I still think its worth a shot.
"My spoon's too big! My spoon... is too big! My spooooon is too big! My spoon's too big!"

"I am a baNANA!"

You're watching the family learning channel!
Don't like the way you word a 1st and 5th being a difference of 7 semi-tones, also not sure if you''re right with claiming that an X on a tab means to palm mute the opn string.

Grammar and structure otherwise seems good - you mispelt octaves and ocataves though.
e|--------------------------|
B|--------------------------|
G|--------------------------|
D|--------------------------|
A|-22xx--xxxx--2xx2--22x2---|
E|-00xx--xxxx--0xx0--00x0---|

how do you play the 4 x's part?You mute the E and A string open?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic