im on a pretty tight budget
need an amp thats pretty loud and has a nice tone
im looking at either a fender fm100h half stack or the line 6 spider II.. or anything else in that price range
i play kind of a rock funk jazz metal

which amp do u think works for me?
Last edited by HILIKUS! at Aug 10, 2006,
Neither. Both of those amps are horrible. Go for a Vox AD50VT or a Roland Cube 60.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
i know im gonna get a stack and ive even found the fender used for $400
but i just cant decide which one i want, even if u think neither of them
I own a Fender Frontman, I'm speaking from experience when I say that it's a crappy amp. And I've played the Spyder and it's very digital sounding. You don't need that kind of power, and SS amps sound horrible at high volumes anyways. Go for a Vox AD100VT if you want power (it's available in a hlaf-stack too). It's a way better amp than either of the 2 you're looking at.
#4 member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join
yeah the fender fm is ****

just get a used tube combo you don't need a halfstack they're just a bitch to carry around
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
explain to me why you want a half stack...get a nice 15 watt tube combo and save yourself the aggravation
Jackson DXMG- upgraded pups 81 85 emg set
Schecter Omen 6
XXX 60w Tube Combo
Digitech GNX3
Boss MD-2
So, I assume that you need a halfstack because you're playing open arenas un-miced. Am I correct? Or are you just looking at them because they're the "cool" thing to have?

A nice tube combo will be louder than a solid state halfstack and will be about the same price as one of the cheap POS SS halfstacks. That's something to keep in mind.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
This would be what the Only "which amp?" thread is for.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
^Yes. Yes it would be, but apparently, the half-stack n00b army is in full force today, because this is far from the first I've responded to.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ok sorry to piss you guys off so much, i wasnt trying to offend anyone by asking for advice but thanks anyway
mmm...someones stubborn
Break it down and then break it up again
Me and my guitar drowning down and down
^Don't worry. I'm just frustrated at the fact that so many people like you think that they "need" a halfstack because that's what big name bands use.

In all honesty, there aren't many good reasons to buy a halfstack/full stack. Most of the time a nice tube combo is plenty of volume.

Some people really prefer the punch a 4x12 cabinet gives, and that's a decent reason to get a halfstack. However, if you're just looking for a good practice amp, a halfstack is complete overkill.

And yes, they look cool and everything, but they just aren't going to be as useful as a good combo. For the $600 minimum you'd spend on a POS halfstack, you could buy a nice tube combo that would have much, much better tone, and probably be quite a bit louder.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I was gonna buy the XXX half stack but i tried the combo sounded much better in my opinion cheaper too since you dont have a to buy a cab...look in your local store at some tube combos in your price range youll be impressed.
Jackson DXMG- upgraded pups 81 85 emg set
Schecter Omen 6
XXX 60w Tube Combo
Digitech GNX3
Boss MD-2