Page 1 of 2
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone else besides me thinks that a "not so skilled" guitar player can be influential? I feel that Kurt Cobain(example) would fit this catagory and is in my oppinion one of the greatest guitar playes ever but not just because of skill
It's Better To Burn Out Than To Fade Away-Neil Young

die you emo dirts
Hendrix and Jimmy Page

sucked ass but knew how to sound good
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
dude ppl say page isnt that good but have u heard heartbreaker or since ive been lovin you. crazy solos. anyways some people say tony iommi isnt very good i think he is but he is one of the most influencial guitarists ever
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Hendrix and Jimmy Page

I agree with you on Hendrix (although he had a song or two with some pretty good playing), but I don't think Page did anything for this world.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Hendrix and Jimmy Page

I disagree

they were both innovators in terms of both sound & technical playing (at their time)
perhaps u don't like 'em, but that's a fact...
SRV was a noob

just joking
but I'd have to say Billy Joe/Tom Delonge
1st ever MOD challenge winner
Rush Club Member #5
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join
Member #4 of The Geddy Lee Fan Club
Member #21 of the Steve Irwin Memorial Club, pm Clincher09 to join
Quote by TomD03
SRV was a noob

just joking
but I'd have to say Billy Joe/Tom Delonge

The only thing Billy Joe influences is my urge to kill him.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Hendrix and Jimmy Page

Eh, sucked ass is putting it far. When you compare them to Rusty Cooley, Steve Morse, Paul Gilbert, etc, of course, but at the time it was an original sound, it was Jimi's imagination that made him kick ass. Plus, his tunes were cool and he sounded bitchin' even though his technique wasn't really good. Nowaday's that'd be an average guitar player, but sucked ass is pushing it, I'd reserve that for some others, lol. There's worse guitarists technically is what I mean.
john lennon wasnt anything that special on guitar but he was certainly influential, same with dylan
Syd Barrett . I don't think skill matters though. I think it's about creating something of your own not how fast you can solo. You can go to a music store and see bunch of burned out old guys who didn't make it but can play sick guitar but then there are those who created an illogical and eclectic sound of there own. that's talent to me.
Jimmy Page.
Hendrix.
Eric Clapton isn't great technically, but he's pretty accurate nowadays.
"Chuck-E-Cheese called. They want their band back."
Quote by God Am

I can't believe you.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Hendrix and Jimmy Page

.....Says the kid who listens to Korn.

Those 2 did a lot more then Korn ever will, if it wasn't for them, Korn might not exist.

I would say...Kurt Cobain definetly. I don't think Zakk Wylde is anything special but a lot of kids love him. Angus could solo and write catchy tunes, but he wasn't very skilled as a guitarist. Joe Perry wasn't amazing either.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
What's up with everyone dissing guys like Hendrix, Clapton, and Page. Sure they don't shred but I would rather play like Hendrix or Clapton than someone like Ynwegie. I'm not trying to diss shred but if you can't play with heart it doesn't matter how good you are technically. Rememeber people you are creating music not just showing what you can do with your guitar.
Can't speak for anyone else, but Kurt Cobain inspired me to pick up the guitar and play those nirvana riffs. I'm onto much more advanced things now though.

So really, if you're famous, you can be influential, dispite if you're technically skilled or not.
sayin hendrix and page suck ass is (in my opinion) a really bad remark. speed isnt what makes a great guitarist, its the creativity of putting the notes together to make a great tune. look at stairway to heaven (i know i will get flammed cuz everyone hates that song now because it is played too much) but how page put it together is pretty damn good. page has the ability to put a lot more emotion into 5 notes than yngwei and batio and cooley can put into a 1000. its not how fast you can go, its how you put it all together. people these days grade your skill on your speed, they dont look at what you are actually saying with the notes

but thats my opinion, please dont flame me
Angus Young. Of course he is a bit overated but it was the intro to Thunderstruck that got me into playing guitar. He puts so much natural energy into AC/DC's shows.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Hendrix (and to a lesser extent Page) is a damn good guitarist but not because of his technical proficiency, but because of his musical abilities and such (those other things that make a solo good: phrasing, dynamics, note choice, those things that musicians actually care about).

Kurt Cobain, on the other hand, just sucked balls at guitar. He couldnt play the thing for ****, and he couldnt makes up any decent licks either (although I friggin love the In Bloom solo). What he could do was write damn good songs (both lyrics and melody wise).

Basically, there is 3 types of guitarists:

1) Those with music sense but not chops (even though saying Hendrix didnt have chops is ridiculous, but if its not 200bpm half diminished sweep runs with your hand over the top of the neck than 75% of UG considers it not having chops), such as Hendrix.

2) Those with music sense and chops, a good example I think would be EVH or SRV.

3) Those with neither, like good ol Kurt Cobain (even though he still wrote bitchin songs).

And then I guess there would be those guys with the chops but no music sense, like *insert random internet shredder here*. So really theres 4 types.

IN SUMMARY:

Kurt Cobain is not a good guitar player. Jimi Hendrix is.
Originally Posted by guitar_freak333
I dont like death metal, I just see it as a bunch of hairy men playing the same riff over and over again exetremely fast.
john frusciante isn't the greatest player technically but his improvisational skill and creativity is what makes him so great. he can cover a ton of genres and in his early solo work you can see that he is REALLY good at layering guitar and can make everything fit together really well. he is my favorite guitarist

but then again, he had the chioce to join frank zappa's band (i think), so maybe he is really technically good.

either way, i like him for his creativiy and improvisation
k... i really dont like green day's new stuff too much, but truth be told, BJA is a vastly underrated guitarist. listen to "one for the razorbacks" off kerplunk! (and keep in mind that that was recorded 15 years ago... im sure he's made some progress since.) but more than that, he's not at all sloppy and has pulled together some pretty tight sets.

anyway, i'd say blake schwarzenbach wasn't a god but still managed to write some amazing material and was quite influential... trent reznor as well. kurt cobain was a horridly sloppy guitarist but still wrote some good stuff... i think he understood how people react to music as well, which is far more important than anything you can do with your hands.
Quote by God Am
Jimmy Page.
Hendrix.

I agree Clapton isn't a "technical" player (does pretty damn good with a wah pedal though), but he plays with more soul than damn near anyone else alive. And he shows it when hes playing a show.

Being a good guitar player is far more than being good technically.
If you have great technique, but lack soul, you really should put down
the guitar and try something else.

If the music moves you in some way, be it angry, happy, sad, sleepy, whatever then they are good. Thats what guitar and music should be about, it should move you emotionally in some way.

What this all boils down to is what is your definition of a good guitar player ?
Yeh Im With u....Kurt was amzing...he was Sloppy but good... Listin to the School solo by nirvana....its good but sloppy.hendrix was only really good for making sounds that couldnt be acheived till now adays...
RIP Kurt Cobain 1967-1994

Guitar Gear:
Squier Jagmaster (killswitch, dimarzio super dist. &tone zone pups)
Digitech Rp80
Digitech death metal
Dunlop Wah

Squier Bullet

Bass:
Ibanez Sr305
Ibanez gio
Fender rumble 100
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Hendrix and Jimmy Page

Hendrix did not suck ass. You just don't have enough knowledge to appreciate the aspect of guitar playing that he excelled at, which was at a level you could never achieve even if your life depended on it.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Hendrix and Jimmy Page

How on eath did hendrix suck ass? The guy played rythm and lead at the same time.
dave gilmour can play 3 frets and make an insanely emotional solo....

and I would rather listen to Clapton/hendrix/page/SRV any of the blues based rock artist guitarists over some guy beating off to playing scales as fast as they can anyday.
I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
get new friends. i dont associate with Fall Out Boy fans. they deserve cancer and humiliation. like ass cancer.
excuse me nubs, but hendrix is the best guitarist ever.
as far as innovation goes.
for speed it's alvin lee.
and if rhymes were valums I'd be comfortably numb.
Quote by davebain27
hendrix was only really good for making sounds that couldnt be acheived till now adays...

wow, wrong.

he was great at jazz and blues derived rhythm playing. you can learn how to play his nuances note for note, but you cannot create those same nuances on the spot like he can. that is what he specialized in.

a lot of rock half-wits are too simpleminded to realize that there are more technical aspects of guitar playing than just rock soloing.
Quote by Kurt Cobain_14
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone else besides me thinks that a "not so skilled" guitar player can be influential? I feel that Kurt Cobain(example) would fit this catagory and is in my oppinion one of the greatest guitar playes ever but not just because of skill

Kurt Cobain was not a "bad" guitar player, he just wasn't phenomenal. Not to mention, we only have enough material to base our decisions on songs he recorder for Nirvana, it is entirely possible that he could play more complicated songs if he chose to. He wasn't a technical or remarkable guitar player, but he was an great artist and deserves his spot as the tragic icon that he is.
Quote by BeefWellington

what's the point in being "philiosophical"?

Interesting question...
Quote by Sublimeman
excuse me nubs, but hendrix is the best guitarist ever.

excuse me, "nub", it seems like you shouldn't be calling anyone that when you yourself can't even wrap the idea of "no such thing as best guitarist ever" around your head. Even if you felt strongly about him, you're still the "nub" because you've probably never heard of guitarists who can smoke him like Wes Montgomery or George Benson. So piss off, "nub."
Quote by RyanInChains9
dave gilmour can play 3 frets and make an insanely emotional solo....

Frank Gambale and Bireli Lagrene can play a billion frets in one phrase, and still be emotional as hell. You have to realize, speed has nothing to do with emotion. It's how you carry your notes out.
Page 1 of 2