Hey peeps! I watched a video-lesson from Marty Friedman called Melodic Control a few days ago and there's something I don't quite understand from it.

In the section called "Minor Keys" (around 19minutes) he says that he "follows each chord." His chord progression is Am, Dm, F and E. Does that mean that he is changing keys for every different chord for the lead to better suit the chord progression?!

Can someone clarify that section for me please?
Without seeing it for myself it's hard to say, I would assume he means that he targets the notes in the underlying chord, looking at the progression it appears to be in the key of A Harmonic Minor so this scale will feature all the notes you need so heres what you could do:

On the Am chord you have the notes A, C and E these are the notes you are looking to target when this chord is being played, now as the chord changes to Dm you would target the Dm chord tones which are D,F and A; notice these chord tones are still in the key of A Melodic Minor so we could just stick with this scale but there are other options:

1) Move to Dm and target those notes in there, avoid the G if you're doing this as it doesn't appear in A Harmonic Minor.

2) Use an arpeggio based form of solong and play a Dm arpeggio.

On the change to the F Major chord you are once again looking to target those chord tones which are F, A and C and once again A Harmonic Minor will work, of course you could move into F Major but you'll want to avoid the G and Bb notes if you do this.

We now have the E Major chord, ideally you'll want to target the notes E, G# and B, I would also add the D in there as well implying a V7 chord which leads back to the tonic Am, this may also be a good place to play an E7 arpeggio.

Of course this is a basic outline of what can be done, for every note you play look at how it affects the underlying chord progression for example playing the G# over the Am chord will create a AmMaj7 and you may like to reference the G# throughout your solo to establish the key of A Harmonic Minor.

Oh I see, I see!
Considering that he uses arpeggios alot, I guess that they play a major role here, they outline the chord progression better.

I just took a look at the video again and he said that he doesn't follow that Am scale, rather "follow each chord to the best of our abilities."

After that he said something like:" I like to hit F over that (Dm chord) which is like a... it works nicely in the key of D, because it's a minor note..."
I'm guessing that he is changing keys as the progression changes.

Thx a bunch shock_411, helped quite a bit!! I'll take a few days studying this and I'll hopefully come up with some decent recording to post following this same progression.
THX!!!