Yes
34 34%
No
17 17%
KING ME BITCH! (Yes)
21 21%
There is no spoon. (No)
10 10%
May the Force be with you (You require professional help.)
19 19%
Voters: 101.
It's a well known fact that the G-string does not stay in tune. No matter what. I don't care what experts say, but the G-string does not stay in tune. It is as if they were plucked from the Pubic Area of Satan and wound with the guts of fetuses (fetii?). So I just thought I'd let people know this. Vote if you think this is true.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
mine and my cuz's go out of tunes...but we do have cheap guitars...so idk.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Lies!~ Paganistic Lies! You Are All Spawn Of Satan And Require A Baptism! And Some Of That Really Cool Wine And Bread!
Quote by Kensai
My strat, fat strat and LTD MH-50 (locking trem) stay in tune. But my Epi LP's G goes out like a bastard and I'm yet to play a Gibson/Epi SG that holds tune well
Never had that problem on any of mine, no matter how cheap and nasty they were.

What brand and type of strings are you using?
mine does, but i find that the b-string goes out of tune more on my guitar
'Lovely' does NOT have guitar solos!

Monterey Stage Series Electric
Some bright orange Ashton acoustic
Line 6 Spider 2 112
Variax 300
Quote by Weybl Himself
My strat, fat strat and LTD MH-50 (locking trem) stay in tune. But my Epi LP's G goes out like a bastard and I'm yet to play a Gibson/Epi SG that holds tune well

my gibson Lp doesn't hold tuning very well, and its intonation is always off... might be the place that sets it up tho..
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
I'm probably gonna switch to a wound G because it fuks me off too.
Quote by pink chili
my gibson Lp doesn't hold tuning very well, and its intonation is always off... might be the place that sets it up tho..

I'd find a new set up tech, then. Should inntonate within a few cxxx hairs of the note your playing and for the most part stay in tune. Unless your strings are old or not stretched properly or tuners are shot.
How much do guitar check ups usually cost anyways?
Quote by jmag

God, you make a 5-year-old seem like master Yoda, as far as patience goes.
My g string is always going out of tune. While all the other strings are always in tune.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Cheap guitars will, I know on a lot of cheap/badly made squiers (modern Korean/Indonesian/Taiwanese whatever) ones they always go out of tune. If you have a decent guitar, set it up properly and clean everything, lubricate the nut (with some graphite), try it without string trees etc.
my X50 stays in tune quite well, and you need help.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Ok this thread just started off poorly.

It's not a problem with the G string being in tune (aka - your guitar will play a G when you play it open) - it's a problem with fretting the G string.

If you do not have a wound G string, the G string will "play" sharper as you fret it.

Either get A) a wound G string B) an Earvana Compensated Nut (I have one on my Schecter S-1 Blackjack and it works perfectly or C) Buzz Feiten Tuning System (costs more than the earvana to be installed, but it comes standard on more guitars).

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i have the BF system on my guitar, it rocks.

i also have a bass with it too.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Snowblindvictim
How much do guitar check ups usually cost anyways?

Mine cost about $30 USD. That was with new strings. Remember, though, different shops have different prices.
Sent from my iPad.
Locking tuners dont give me g-string blues
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
If I ever have a problem on any of my guitars, it's always with the G string.
mine varies everytime I change strings it seems..sometimes g, or b, or high e, or low e..
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

I don't really get the point of the poll so I just voted yes.

Anyway the only way to keep your g-string in tune is by using heavier gauge strings. I use Ernie Ball 11s at the moment, but I will get some 12s next week for better tone and better tuning stability.

If you are playing "small" scale guitars like Gibson you need AT LEAST 10s on your guitar, but the larger the better, on your guitar.

I hope it helped.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Lies. You can't fix the G-String, I don't care what you say. I use 11's and it doesn't do squat on my strat. The top three strings go out of tune at the same rate while the bottom three also go out of tune at the same rate. What I mean to say is that the bottom three stay in tune with each other while the top three are also in tune with each other but the whole guitar isn't in tune with itself. Understand?

But that's besides the point. The point is that the G-strings is pure evil. EVILLLL!!!
Quote by Kensai
My 3rd string is the first to go flat.
Quote by Generalpwnt
Lies. You can't fix the G-String, I don't care what you say. I use 11's and it doesn't do squat on my strat. The top three strings go out of tune at the same rate while the bottom three also go out of tune at the same rate. What I mean to say is that the bottom three stay in tune with each other while the top three are also in tune with each other but the whole guitar isn't in tune with itself. Understand?

But that's besides the point. The point is that the G-strings is pure evil. EVILLLL!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself
Last edited by malakian_rocks at Aug 10, 2006,
i never have a problem with my tele, but with my ES the g always goes out of tune, same with my old Epi les paul standard.
My Rig:

Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Es-335 Deluxe
Line 6 Flextone 3 XL
Norman B-50
1980 Fender Acoustic