I am looking to build a guitar head before building a cabinet, and don't really no much about it. Can anyone help me with this. I am looking to get a lot of power out of it. Please help!

I don't really know much about the subject so please don't call me stupid or anything.
Cabs are much more easier to build than heads.

Just get a container, put a bunch of speakers in it, and use it.
I've never really understood how that stuff worked. If I say for example went and got a cabinet and it had say like 300w capacity or whatever. wouldnt i have to have a head or something to get it to that? Or what. I've just been playing out of my crappy amp the past year and am now trying to get some better stuff and figured i'd build my own
Last edited by UnknownTravesty at Aug 10, 2006,
you need a head to convert the signal, and a cabinet to actually hear noise, and the cabinet has to be less or equal wattage of the speaker, or

KABOOM

well not really but it will break/die/stop working
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Actually it doesn't have to be less than the speakers, but most manufacturers do this for safety. A 500W head can drive a 100W cabinet, but you can't turn up the head too much or the speaker cone will be forced too far out of the cone.
Well if you do it right, you can actually make the speaker EXPLODE with flames and smoke etc. Otherwise, you can make the speaker itself, the cone, fly out like if you torched Yngwie's Fat Ass.
The speakers need to be the same or rated higher than the amps output. A bit higher is preferable.

As for amp building...what sort of amp do you want to make?

You might try sites like ax84 and 18watt.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.