Hey there, I was reading the other threads about 16th ntes and crap and it got me thinking on how I practice and warm up.

So yeah, it's the night of a gig and your due on in an hour. How do you warm up (it can be for any instrument; guitar, bass, whatever..)

I ususally spend around ten minutes on downstrokes and alternate and tremelo picking, which I also incorporate palm-muting with. Then I will usually do a pattern of gallops and triplets (all palm-muted) on the low E, because in many of my bands songs I need to be able to keep tight palm-mute with gallops and crap like that.

That takes about 30 minutes to run through that. I then start to excercise my fretting hands. I start out with easy riffs (Metallica, Slayer etc), then moving on to my songs, playing them partly way through (also helps me to remember them, even though it never happens better safe than sorry). I'll do that for about 15 minutes, then I will start practicing solos (being the lead, I play a vast majority of them.. lol) while playing with my whammy to wake up the trem springs

So as I said, post you routines and stuff on how you warm up before a gig.
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
For my last gig I spent 4 hours getting pissed and then walked onto to stage without warming up....

.... but I play a solo acoustic comedy set so being pissed is actually a plus!
I'm a singer/metal screamer.
I usually just choose a song and sing along with it, an that works for me
I play some of my own riffs esspecially any one's using my pinky
Minor pentatonic licks gradualy faster them go thru some of my own solos helps to remeber them aswell
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
ave a pint and make sure ive played a few songs earlier in the day to make sure my hands are ready
keep blues alive
I dont drink before i go on as i dont wanna b dependent on it to play a good show

Howeva dont have sex b4 ya go on ure legs tend not to work so good
Fender P Bass Mex

Guitar Set Up
Fender Strat Mex (Modded)
Toadwords Leo Jr
Vox Wah V847
Electro Harmonix LBP-1
Line 6 FM4
Boss DD-20
TC Electronic Tuner
Orange Tiny Terror(ist)

Check out my band
www.asparagusnow.com
vodka.lots of it.
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quick run through little tricky riffs after warming up to some basic exercises to re-assure myself I can play the hard bits too.
being in an acoustic band, i warm up singing and plying my guitar with my buddies in the alley way of the venue
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
I'm in several bands, so here's the rundown of warmups.

Solo Acoutsic: I make sure my **** is in tune, drink 4 tablespoons of cough medicine, play/sing Plush by Stone Temple Pilots (don't play it in my set at all, just like singing it) then I walk on stage and go.

Band that i play guitar/backing vocals in: Make sure my **** is in tune, drink a cup of tea, go into the bathroom and scream for about 2 1/2 minutes (don't really scream in the band at all. But it's still fun) look over the setlist once, make sure my **** is still in tune, crack my knuckles, go on stage.

Band that I play drums/backing vocals in: make sure my **** is set up. Drink a beverage of some sort, walk in front of a group of girls and start stretching, take off shirt, go on stage.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Well, the nite before a gig, when i go to bed i drink a massive glass of water to keep my vocals chords moist. Then the day of the gig i keep drinkin water and then just before i run through the song and do some breathin exercises, then i go through a few songs that i have performed before, just to remind me that i've been there before.
Quote by Lpfreq
Well, the nite before a gig, when i go to bed i drink a massive glass of water to keep my vocals chords moist. Then the day of the gig i keep drinkin water and then just before i run through the song and do some breathin exercises, then i go through a few songs that i have performed before, just to remind me that i've been there before.

when i do that i have to piss every like 5 seconds haha
Quote by ouchies
when i do that i have to piss every like 5 seconds haha

I hear ya brother

if theres a band playing before your set, ive found that the best way to warm up is to head straight into the mosh and start rocking/screaming as loud as you can. whether you play drums/guitar or vocals, it just gets you pumped up and ****
Quote by Chrisman
if theres a band playing before your set, ive found that the best way to warm up is to head straight into the mosh and start rocking/screaming as loud as you can. whether you play drums/guitar or vocals, it just gets you pumped up and ****

bad idea if your doing any kind of on pitch singing. But yes, that is a good idea, also helps the totally atmosphere for when you get up there.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
For a guitar player, all you should have to do (assuming that you know your material well enough) is stretch out your hands a few times to get them loose so that you don't cramp up onstage. Also, quickly running through some of the tougher parts that you are about to play is a good warm-up. Victor Wooten said that he likes to get in one good game of basketball before he plays so that his whole body is ready for the gig.
I put on Osaka Popstar's album on and sing along to it start to finish. Seriously. John Caiero is one of the only singers who sings in my range, and they're great songs. If not, it's AFI.
We do an extended blues jam, and take turns making up verses and solo bits. Lotsa fun.

My band used to run the entire set list before each gig. These were gigs that lasted about 30 minutes. It also gave everyone the chance to be there at the practice spot in case someone forgot to pack something up.

In my other band, the warm up is to just get there cold and drink a beer. They've played through the sets (4 hours worth of music) so many times there is no need to jam everything.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
If I'm playing bass for a gig, I just play scales in 16th notes with a metronome, turning it up faster and faster, then going back down. Then maybe a run through the songs.
If I'm singing, I usually just go out and do it, maybe a 5 minute warm-up at the most. But hell I'm mostly a screamer so that's different.
I feel like a complete amateur saying this, but I just keep my hands warm!I reckon Theres no need to practise things, because if you can't play what you need to play an hour before the gig you're stuffed... Well mentally warming up I stock up on caffeine, if it's dark me and my band's vocalist will take a walk/run get back jump, say "cmon cmon cmon cmon" and generally break into Paul stanley's vocal solo in Rock n Roll all nit on Alive IV "cmon cmon cmon and clap your hands"and walk onstage cool, calm and collected