has anyone got any tips on thumb sweeping....like, sweep picking but with your thumb on a bass. iv been trying to get it for long enough now but im still not very good at it, anyone got any exercises that will help or any pointers on how to make it better? cheers
i only wear black until they invent a darker colour

everyone is sh*t....were just all at different levels of sh*t
Where have you seen this? I haven't really seen any examples of it but i have tried it out myself. All i can do is a minor arpeggio with the sweep thing.

Practice makes perfect tho bud.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Last edited by jimmypage27 at Aug 10, 2006,
With my thumb all I could ever do was go down.....I've tried to come back up, but it's so difficult. I can "sweep pick" by alternating my thumb for the downstroke and using my index finger for the up. I've actually switched to using a pick just for this porpuse. The best advice anyone can give you is to practice very, very slowly and build your way up to speed.
Quote by Bumper
With my thumb all I could ever do was go down.....I've tried to come back up, but it's so difficult. I can "sweep pick" by alternating my thumb for the downstroke and using my index finger for the up.

thats how iv been doing it so far as well...its so hard to get it clean though because i keep hitting the wrong string when i come back up.

Quote by jimmypage27
Where have you seen this? I haven't really seen any examples of it
Practice makes perfect tho bud.

victor wooten uses it, and im pretty sure john myung uses it occasionaly as well
i only wear black until they invent a darker colour

everyone is sh*t....were just all at different levels of sh*t
Quote by 4-string-4-eva

victor wooten uses it, and im pretty sure john myung uses it occasionaly as well

really? ive only seen sweeps used in metal.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."