I was wondering how long it took you guys to get
any good at sweeping and doing fast solos and
such. 'Cause I've been practicing for quite a while
now and I'm beginning to wonder if it usually takes
this long or whether I'm just lacking in natural skill.

Please answer.
Years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years and years of practice.

It took me 2 days
^lol

I'm doing small gigs at 10 months but i pracice an insane amount, half the time i'm posting on here i'll have a guitar beside me (not at the mo though) practice a lot and you'll get there in time
How long is quite a while?

I've been playing for about 15 years and my sweep picking isn't that good, functional (!) but not that crash hot. To be fair it's not something I've really practised......

The speedy solos.....hmmmm.....they take time. I can't remember how long it was before I was happy with the fast stuff but it was certainly was in years as opposed to in weeks. The trick is to play the fast stuff accuratly and with clarity. That's the tough bit.

You'd be better of not putting time constraints on yourself, I've been playing for x months so I should be at x level. It'll happen when it happens.
[
Quote by Dinguz

Please answer.

practice practice and if it takes too long, you probably got the technique a bit wrong

if so, ask here or look it up
Quote by Dinguz

Please answer.

a while but then again i practiced with pretty much higher action (think acoustic) so really depends on your action and also how long you have been playing for. for me it took a while id say maybe 15 days straight practicing but then again i started on 5 string sweeps instead of 3 string sweeps. its a very good idea to start with the baby steps and done slowly.
It really depends on alot of things, the thickness of the neck, accuracy, mostly blind dumb luck. I been at this for about 15 years, and I still cannot hit the whole lotta love riff, I can barely hit sweet home alabama. I guess thats why I play rythem huh?
epiphone LP Custom
No amp yet, I just got back in the game.
Had a Gibson LP Studio, Mex Tele, Mex Strat, Blues Deville, and mg50. But thanx to my lovely wife, not locking the door, they all vanished
Speed comes from 2 places - proper technique and proper practice that forms correct muscle memory. There's a great thread in the archives that talks about how playing something slowly for a period of three weeks will build your muscle memory to the point where you will be able to play it much faster, ultimately, than if you tried to keep playing it fast and kept screwing up. And proper technique is a result of correct hand positioning, correct muscle tension (almost none), correct body posture, and correct finger pressure when pressing the strings (as little as possible).
Hi, I'm Peter
Are you saying that I should practice each new song at half-speed for three weeks before playing it at regular speed?
Not even half speed. Play it at whatever speed you have to (even a snail's pace) where you have complete control over your technique and you make NO mistakes.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Not even half speed. Play it at whatever speed you have to (even a snail's pace) where you have complete control over your technique and you make NO mistakes.

dude... can you please tell me what article that is in the archives? I wanna read it now
technique and GET A TEACHER (a good one at that), ive been playing 4 years and my sweeping is just starting to come one now that Im trying it. Look at videos and any material you can get your haneds on, also experimentation often does the trick. Practice obviously helps....
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by livefortoday
dude... can you please tell me what article that is in the archives? I wanna read it now

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172
Enjoy And make sure to read the whole thing. It's a really good thread. Also, it might be worth it to check out www.guitarprinciples.com People hate her method or love it, but you'll only benefit from it if you're willing to commit to it.
Hi, I'm Peter
Playing at speed with fluidity, dynamics, and feeling is NOT just natural talent.
Some of it will be, yes, but mostly it's a matter of knowing how to practice to
get the results you want. Probably the single biggest thing that separates a
really great player from the rest, is that they just intuitively knew how to
practice in a way the gets results. Not just talent.

Fortunately, you don't have to be born with that intuitive knowledge anymore.
I know I post this repeatedly, but it absolutely works -- particularly for those that
can't seem to break through a playing barrier no matter what they do: Guitar
Principles www.guitarprinciples.com. It is THE manual on how to practice to get
the results you want.
Quote by Dirk Gently
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210172
Enjoy And make sure to read the whole thing. It's a really good thread. Also, it might be worth it to check out www.guitarprinciples.com People hate her method or love it, but you'll only benefit from it if you're willing to commit to it.

Ah, ya beat me to it!

I don't know why anyone would hate a method that works, but everyone's different
I guess...
How long have you been playing? I think that one thing experienced players tend to forget is that at first guitar really isnt fun. You just go into the store not knowing anything and just being confused. Dont expect to be amazing after only couple of months.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
^^ Agreed

It just takes time, i remember when i had trouble with "Sweet Dreams"(Marylin Manson Version). Proper practice and technique will help enormously, so a teacher is definatly needed(as long as the teacher is good).
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"
Well unless you can shred so fast like Petrucci and do the time warp, I don't think any mortals can shred insanely quick.

I am not a fan of Petrucci though, rather I prefer Hermit Li.