So, im planning on getting, when i'm not horrifically poor, an Ibanez RGA 121, that's a mahogony body with a maple carved top. What I'm wondering is wether I would then be better off to put the Zakk Wylde EMG set (81/85) in or James Hetfield's combination (81/60) I play into a crate GT212 amp and like to play metal, rock , like metallica, black label society etc. thanks
New amp man, seriously, I have a crate amp as well, and before I get EMG's I'm upgrading my amp first, they'll sound decent, but not as good as through a tube amp. But on the EMG subject, I'm probably going the 81/60 route so that's what I'd recommend. The 60 is much better than the 85 imo.
81/85 you'll get better bluesy metal tones with the 85 then the 60
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
i suggest the 60 because the 60 is a lighter pickp than the 85 and u already have the most baddass pickup(the 81) why need 2
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
to pierce34celtic, Although I'd love to buy a decent valve amp, I really haven't the cash, and once I've bought that RGA I'll have even less money, so really it's not even an option, so I'm only really looking for p'up suggestions
Quote by metadrix
to pierce34celtic, Although I'd love to buy a decent valve amp, I really haven't the cash, and once I've bought that RGA I'll have even less money, so really it's not even an option, so I'm only really looking for p'up suggestions

A good amp will affect your tone more than an RGA and a set of EMGs.

Personally, I wouldn't even recommend EMGs...I think they sound awful.

How much money do you have? You'd be far better off getting a new amp; Crates sound awful as well.
right now I have next to nothing, and as I'm only on about 30£ a week, its gonna take long enough to save for an RGA let alone a beastly amp
What Kind of guitar do you currently have and how much do you have saved
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by metadrix
right now I have next to nothing, and as I'm only on about 30£ a week, its gonna take long enough to save for an RGA let alone a beastly amp

How much do you have saved?

I make 1/6 of what you do weekly, and I'm saving for a $600 amp.
It is irrelevant because the threadstarter is a homosexual.
He is the other guitarist in my band, and, despite his arguments to the contrary, is also the lesser guitarist. His sound is unimportant because it will be drowned out by me, the superior guitarist in the band. In fact, the only real reason he has a guitar is to make it look like he does something, so i can channel off the less aesthetically pleasing groupies in his direction. Thank you for you help anyway people of UG.
Banter Assassin. Every thread I touch dies.

Quote by Danno13
YDPBC > awesome.

Why Thank You.
60 = better cleans...id go for that as the 81 is hot enough, and you always need a good clean sound, even for metalllica style metal...i say even, but its not even even
ill shut upnow..

[EDIT: ^^ guy above, i hoe that was a joke otherwise you deserve to be shot]
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Quote by Y.D.P.B.C
He is the other guitarist in my band, and, despite his arguments to the contrary, is also the lesser guitarist. His sound is unimportant because it will be drowned out by me, the superior guitarist in the band. In fact, the only real reason he has a guitar is to make it look like he does something, so i can channel off the less aesthetically pleasing groupies in his direction. Thank you for you help anyway people of UG.

Thats ****ing hilarious Less aesthetically pleasing groupies in his direction lol thats awesome. Props to this guy

But Thread starter you still havent answer the question what is yoru budget
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Y.D.P.B.C

Thats awesome !
(a) get a new amp

(b) from what I hear, EMG's won't fit in an RGA without a slight bit of routing (and before everyone clamours to say the battery will fit fine, it's not for the battery...)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
sorry for taking my time with this reply, right now I have 30 quid, having just bought my amp, im playing a stagg (yep, a stagg) and a jackson JS series RR, with one of the worst floyd roses in existence. As for YDPBC, I would love to produce a witty comment, but somehow nothing's coming to mind, probably due to my current state of extreme tiredness. When it comes to buying another amp, although it'd be lovely to have a big beastly valve amp, it's too impractical, and i can't afford it and I actually really like the sound of my crate.
Personally, I think that amp should do fine. It's certainly not the best out there, but it can get decent tones. There are far worse amps that people are playing (MGs, Spiders, etc).

As for pickups, I would go for an 81/60 combo, and that's after having been an 81/85 ***** for about 12 years (used dual 81s for 6 years before that). I recently made the switch to a 60 in one of my guitars and now started equipping my others with 60s as well.

As for extra routing, I don't have any experience with that guitar in particular, so I can't speak for myself there. But if Dave_Mc says so, then I tend to trust his word on the matter.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Thank you very much crunchmeister, for answering my question, without reccomending that I spend a fortune which I really don't have, and thanks to everyone else for their inputs as well, except YDPBC of course, who simply, as ever, had nothing useful to contribute to discussion.
Quote by Crunchmeister
As for extra routing, I don't have any experience with that guitar in particular, so I can't speak for myself there. But if Dave_Mc says so, then I tend to trust his word on the matter.

cheers, man, I appreciate that. It's not from personal experience, but I read that a few guys on jemsite had to route the pickup route slightly as the pickups that come stock in the rga121 are direct mount, i think the corners of the route are slightly too rounded or something, and the emg's are square-cornered (something like that). I think it's a pretty minor amount of routing that's involved, but it's worth bearing in mind, especially if you suck at DIY like me, lol.

Seconded on the amp count- if you like it, that's all that matters, lol. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Quote by Y.D.P.B.C

I don't know how I missed that first time round.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave, I'm curious: if it's not the battery, what is it?

Just wondering, I know next to nothing about how EMGs work...

EDIT okay, beaten. And YDPBC: awesome.
^ ahaha, my awesome timing pwnt you there, danno!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
...I read that a few guys on jemsite had to route the pickup route slightly as the pickups that come stock in the rga121 are direct mount, i think the corners of the route are slightly too rounded or something, and the emg's are square-cornered (something like that).

Actually, that makes perfect sense. The 'ears' on EMGs are wider and more square than the small ones found on most pickups. I can imagine that's even more true for these direct mount pickups and that they have even smaller ones for cosmetic reasons. I can easily see why routing would be required. to fit the pickup. It would be either that or have to mod the pickups themselves.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
^

they are kind of rounded in the rga route- if memory serves, maybe even someone who fitted a duncan had to route the guitar a little.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers everyone, except YDPBC that is. Going into glasgow to go try some nice guitars and get mine back from being fixed the day so I won't be able to answer anyone else's posts for a while, thanks again.
If you're heading into Glasgow to try guitars, try out Merchant City Music for Ibanez, they have tons hehe.