Page 1 of 8
i think it's flea..

i really like flea but i don't find him that good.

he's good but he's not that special
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Cliff Burton. He hasn't done as much as bassist like Flea, he just did stuff well.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
WHAT THE ****!? IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR EARS MAN FLEA ****ING OWNS!
Sorry to whatever restictions ban swearing but it had to be said.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
That bassist dude from Fall Out Boy, he sux balls. Everybody just likes him cause of his looks.
JoSh
Quote by 4STRINGBOY
i think it's flea..

i really like flea but i don't find him that good.

he's good but he's not that special

ahahaha i bet alot of people will be pissed about that... but i sort of agree, i think part of fleas sucess is due to his unique style and fashion
um les claypool, Flea Pawns him
Quote by fil69
Hu r emos???

Quote by .Sidewinder.
could someone translate that last post for me please?
And although I have to admit that Cliff is slightly overrated he was a god of his time and one of the best metal bassisits that ever lived.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Quote by Caustic
Quote by AniBass
That bassist dude from Fall Out Boy, he sux balls. Everybody just likes him cause of his looks.

Dude everything about Fall Out Boy sucks balls!
Quote by Caustic
flea. my friend like idolizes him because he cant play like anything by him. but in reality he just sucks. so i would say its flea. hes not that good.
i dont think cliff was overrated.he wasnt in the spotlight for a long time and wasnt recognized enough.he was only known playing old metallica.i wonder what he played just sitting around playing his bass..im sure he is much more musically inept than what he did on metallicas albums..

i dont think flea, cliff, or les claypool are overrated. they are all amazing bass players..if anyone i would say jason newstead. he's more of a in the pocket bass player but i haven't seem him do anything much interesting.
Last edited by 7PlaGues at Aug 10, 2006,
Flea is not as technical as many of the other popular bassists but he sure can lay a simple get groove with some simple but well places octave slaps. He has more feeling and funk then 98% of the other bassists on the radio. He is no bass god, but he is a great bassist.

And guys, to be over rated, the bassist has to be high rated... I don't think any real bassist has ever been psyched about Jason Newstead (sp?) or the guy from fall out boy..

Now that guy from Blink, who got his own sig bass... thats sad.
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Quote by Kopperhead91
flea. my friend like idolizes him because he cant play like anything by him. but in reality he just sucks. so i would say its flea. hes not that good.

Okay, then you do what Flea has. Write what Flea has, be flea. You cant say someone sucks untill you can do better.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
-Flea. Why you ask? Well, anybody can slap octaves fast, and making melodic lines high up on the neck isn't exactly rocket science either. I just don't think he's that amazing. Now, I'm not saying he isn't a great bass player, but he's given way more credit then he's earned I think.

-Fieldy, he has a unique tone...that's about it.

-JPJ, he's a great bassist, he can groove, but he just doesn't "wow" me. I've seen much better players. I think he also recieves too much credit.

-Cliff, it's hard for me to say this since I'm a metalhead, but Cliff wasn't exactly a virtuoso either, he could play fast, made some sweet lead lines, but again he just doesn't seem that amazing.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
-JPJ, he's a great bassist, he can groove, but he just doesn't "wow" me. I've seen much better players. I think he also recieves too much credit.

you idiot of course JPJ didnt "wow" much people, but he didnt have any influence being a rock bassist because he started it. so without JPJ there will be no rock bassists now.
I got 99 problems and they all bitches
Quote by AniBass

you gotta admit, he is pretty darn good looking though.

Yeah i'd say flea, i love him, he's my favourite bassist, but he isn't as talented as people say.
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
You make a thread about who we think is overrated. I say who I think is overrated and tell why. Then you insult me because of my opinion. And on top of that, you have RHCP avatar and under your name reads "Flea is overrated."

....And I'm the idiot?

By the way, rock and roll started way before Zeppelin. And if you can't handle other's opinion's, don't ask for them.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by zekk
Okay, then you do what Flea has. Write what Flea has, be flea. You cant say someone sucks untill you can do better.

i didnt mean flea sucks i meant my friend sucks.
this is a very silly thread. this will cause a lot of name calling me thinks.

but, i do think bill dickens is over rated. playing a chromatic scale at 300 bpm just gets old after a while.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
I'm sorry, but I'll have to go with Flea.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
flea + cliff burton, but then again, i dont know if they are, since im not sure as to the effect on bass players the 2 have had. i have a few albums of both, and sure, pretty good, but i think overrated.

i think the solo in orion is probably the most overrated solo ive ever heard. and when people are going on about it on this forum, im not always entirely sure which 'bit' they are referring to (the solo is the about 20 second lead part that sounds like a guitar playing, which happens RIGHT AT THE END of the slow bit of the song)
i need to get a better signature.
Quote by 4STRINGBOY

you idiot of course JPJ didnt "wow" much people, but he didnt have any influence being a rock bassist because he started it. so without JPJ there will be no rock bassists now.

Jack Bruce, Roger Waters, Paul McCartney, Bill Wyman and John Entwhistle never existed, then.

There is more to rock music than Led Zeppelin, you know.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
fieldy, flea, that FOB guy, cliff (i hate to say it tho) erm, the guy from SOAD, Duff Mckagen
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by horazonblade
Flea is not as technical as many of the other popular bassists but he sure can lay a simple get groove with some simple but well places octave slaps. He has more feeling and funk then 98% of the other bassists on the radio. He is no bass god, but he is a great bassist.

And guys, to be over rated, the bassist has to be high rated... I don't think any real bassist has ever been psyched about Jason Newstead (sp?) or the guy from fall out boy..

yeah on sig bass the only control is volume no tone or anything at all
Cliff burton
Member of UG's Mac users club. PM Metalstillsucks if you are wanting in.

Quote by hendrixmusicman
whats IMO? like Emo? If imo is emo, then buddy, you can just shut up because im in the anti emo army. same with the veggies. I'm classic rock all the way.
Honestly? (I'm going to get killed for this.) Jaco.

To me his bass playing isn't tasteful. It's like he tries to cram as many notes into a song as he can, puts a little swing on it, and it becomes 'jazz'. Bull crap.

Oh yeah, Cliff Burton is also highly over-rated.

Almost forgot. Geddy Lee. While I do acknowledge that his bass playing skils were great, I can't stand his song writing. It sucks.
Last edited by elemenohpee at Aug 10, 2006,
I'd have to say the bassist from AC/DC, I think his name is Cliff Williams or sumthin like that, i dont know if you find him rated at all, but where I'm from, lots of people find his playing good, (none of them play bass of course) but then again when you listen to AC/DC you don't listen to it for the bass, now do you?
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Quote by elemenohpee

To me his bass playing isn't tasteful. It's like he tries to cram as many notes into a song as he can, puts a little swing on it, and it becomes 'jazz'. Bull crap.

Oh yeah, Cliff Burton is also highly over-rated.

Almost forgot. Geddy Lee. While I do acknowledge that his bass playing skils were great, I can't stand his song writing. It sucks.

Geddy Lee doesn´t write the lyrics, it´s Neil Peart.
And I agree with the Cliff Burton, he is good, but no god.
And about Jaco just listen to Continuum and Portrait of Tracy and think about what you said, if you still say the same, well.... to each his own
Last edited by watchingmefall at Aug 10, 2006,
Quote by zekk
Cliff Burton. He hasn't done as much as bassist like Flea, he just did stuff well.

UR ON ****IGN GLUE!!!

cliff burton was a god. he hasent done much? why dont you rephrase that. he didnt do much because at a young age was killed in a bizzare bus accident. you ****ing retard.
I agree with the few people who said that Flea is overrated. I'm glad I'm not the only one. He's a good bassists, but he's pretty overrated. I don't think I can play most of his stuff but I'm not really rated so it's okay.

By the way I've never tried. I'm just going by what I've heard on a couple songs.
Quote by Caustic
Loviator sounds like a 70's sex toy, probably discontinued and withdrawn from retail due to poor grade rubber being used in construction.

Quote by Stop Messin'
Put the weed in your friends anus, light it, and use his pecker like a bong :O
Quote by horazonblade

umm is there some way of detecting feeling? is there a meter or something

All music IS emotion
Quote by elemenohpee

not from what i've heard
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
UTBDan

I joke of course!

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
Last edited by bassbitch at Aug 11, 2006,
Quote by elemenohpee

As much as i agree with most of your posts, this one boggles me. Taste is subjective, we should be judging on technical ability really. And i am sure you will not say his technical ability is overrated.

And how can you say he tries to cram as many notes into a song as he can when you have works of art like PoT. I mean damn, Jaco WROTE that **** !

Many of his other famous pieces are covers, so the speed of playing is not because of his style, he is just someone who can pull it off. Remember Chromatic Fantasy is J.S Bach and Donna Lee is (i think) Charlie Parker
Last edited by Applehead at Aug 11, 2006,
I know this thread is about overrated bassists, but I have to say this, a surprisingly underrated bassist is Sheehan, I mean his technique is nearly unmatched, he wrote and still writes pretty good stuff, he also knows when to do his job, he doesn't always go off and he has his own style, yet I noticed most bassists don't really like him..