1. how do find what key is being played if your jamming to a backing track and you dont know the chords, and how do u find out if you do know the chords this is in relation to improvising solos over the top? like if it was 1 chord like an Am i would use an Am scale but if there are different chords being played how do u play along?

2. i hear alot about I, IV, III, etc chords or something like that and i havent got a clue wot thats about, could anyone explain, its when people say liek 'theyre using a pattern of I, II, V' or something along those lines i really havent a clue :S

any help would be greatly appreciated
Quote by ch715dallat
1. how do find what key is being played if your jamming to a backing track and you dont know the chords, and how do u find out if you do know the chords this is in relation to improvising solos over the top? like if it was 1 chord like an Am i would use an Am scale but if there are different chords being played how do u play along?

2. i hear alot about I, IV, III, etc chords or something like that and i havent got a clue wot thats about, could anyone explain, its when people say liek 'theyre using a pattern of I, II, V' or something along those lines i really havent a clue :S

any help would be greatly appreciated

I am in no way an expert on theory but I do know that a lot of times, the first chord played is going to be the key of the song.
2) I ii iii IV V vi vii°

These are the roman numerals used to describe chords in a major scale. Let's use C major for an example:

The chords are:

C major
D minor
E minor
F major
G major
A minor
B diminished

Now, here's how they line up with roman numerals:

C major...I
D minor...ii
E minor...iii
F major...IV
G major...V
A minor...vii
B diminished...viii°

Notice how the minor chords and the diminished chord are represented with lower case roman numerals. The roman numerals, as you have probably noticed, corespond with the degree each note is in the scale, i.e. D is the second scale degree in C major, so it is represented with "ii". It is a minor chord so the numerals are lower case.
how do u know what chords are in each scale, im sorry if this is a stupid question that i should already know, i know the major scales and minor scales but i dont know how you find which chords are in each scale, any more help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

also is there a method for finding the key of a song other than just the 'first chord played' option
Ok let's take G major.

G A B C D E F#

The chords in major keys follow this pattern... major minor minor major major minor diminished.

So the chords in G major are:

G major
A minor
B minor
C major
D major
E minor
F# diminished
thanks thats great, i should be able to improvise over songs with the correct scales now.
kirby you are the ****in man,

one last question to anyone, i was goin to start a new thread but maybe someone can answer it here, what does it mean when a chord is DIMINISHED, AUGMENTED etc there are others i just can think and what is it that makes them diminished,

and what does it mean when a chord is e.g Em7?
also wot does (chord)dominant7 or 9 or whatever mean

thanks again to anyone who posts.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Ok let's take G major.

G A B C D E F#

The chords in major keys follow this pattern... major minor minor major major minor diminished.

So the chords in G major are:

G major
A minor
B minor
C major
D major
E minor
F# diminished

wot are the chord patterns for minorscales, please?