OK, so I have a simple progression, C-G-C-Am

Now I am learning a bit of theory so I believe all the notes used here are natural notes (A-B-C-D-E-F-G).

I'm looking for a nice sounding emotional scale to use... Now I could use C major (or relative A Minor) scale right? In the scale it contains all of the notes the chords use, so should I use that scale to solo? Or what other scale could I use? If the scale has some notes outside of the notes used in the chords, should I still use it? Thanks guys!
Archdeacon of the Church of Zeppelinism
PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Highway One Telecaster (Upgrade)
Laney 30 Watt Combo
Boss ME-50 FX

horazonblade, you are one of the reasonable/intelligent people on this forum... - JewMasatFlex
Or you could follow each chord with I different scale.

C Ionian over C

G mixolydian over G

A Aeolian over Am.
You can also solo in the key of G.. Or to expand upon that:

G Ionian over G
C Lydian over C
A Dorian over A
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Quote by horazonblade
OK, so I have a simple progression, C-G-C-Am

Now I am learning a bit of theory so I believe all the notes used here are natural notes (A-B-C-D-E-F-G).

I'm looking for a nice sounding emotional scale to use... Now I could use C major (or relative A Minor) scale right? In the scale it contains all of the notes the chords use, so should I use that scale to solo? Or what other scale could I use? If the scale has some notes outside of the notes used in the chords, should I still use it? Thanks guys!

What about a chord progression that uses notes that aren't in any scale? How do you find out what key it's in?
Sorry for hijacking this...
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
Thing is, those are all the same scale, but with different root notes. It's all about how you play and your note choice. Try just focusing on the notes in the chords while that chord is played, or something. Or hell, try some others scales that contain the notes C, G, and A.

Edit, to the guy above me:

Use the root note and whether it's major or minor to determine the key. Even if the extraneous (7, 9, whatever) notes don't fit, use the root and the third.