Is it better to learn one song all the way through, or is it better to learn multiple songs? Or does it really matter?
It depends which song. If you have been playing for some time and are fairly proficient at it then i don't see why you should learn the whole song as it definitely has an achievement factor to it. Sure you'll struggle in areas if there's a hard solo or something but once you overcome it, you'll feel that you've achieved something.

But if you have only been playing for about 4 months and want to just go nuts and play the "Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation" solo then as my guitar teacher used to say... "You're biting off more than you can chew" But guitar takes time. I don't know how long you've been playing. How long you been playing and what song did you have in mind?
I have been playing about 7 months now. I am not trying to play hard songs, so I don't believe that I am trying to bite off more than I can chew. I find myself learning a few songs at a time, starting with parts at a time, and then I end up being able to play all of the songs completely about the same time. I was just curious if this was an accepable way of doing it or am I just making it harder on myself.
i think you are doing a fine job. this way you can expand into other genres and you will not get sick or tired of one song
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by escobar71
I have been playing about 7 months now. I am not trying to play hard songs, so I don't believe that I am trying to bite off more than I can chew. I find myself learning a few songs at a time, starting with parts at a time, and then I end up being able to play all of the songs completely about the same time. I was just curious if this was an accepable way of doing it or am I just making it harder on myself.

I don't think that's a wrong way of learning. But i think it's each to ones own because if i started a song and couldn't finish it then it would really annoy me. If you are learning the way you are which is good and arn't playing sloppy or missing parts out just because it's a bit too hard it's definite progression and you arn't learning "wrong."

Your way of learning guitar is fine. It's not wrong, i don't think it has any benefit or cons to it. It might help actually as you're varying your style in places possibly and this may later infleunce your own style to be more adventurous perhaps.

Just keep going, it's a fine way of learning, but just make sure you learn stuff of harder and harder standard.

See it as taking two steps foward and one step backwards each song.