i was searching around if any of the best guitar players started at like 18 or so. and i havent found any. do you guys know any? just wonderin
Quote by NoneMoreBlack
Latest I know is Jimi Hendrix was 15.

i thought he started when he was 11
Joe Satriani = 14, John Petrucci = 12, Hendrix = 11 ( I *think* )thats late enough
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Last edited by J.MitMetallica at Aug 10, 2006,
Johnny Ramone=22 I think

EDITYes yes powerchords whatever but still, later he showed he had a slight idea to solos and such, it was just his STYLE, besides he even admitted to being bad)
i dunno, i would say get into jazz or something that you can play when your old
Peace , Love , Death Metal

Quote by Super_Duper_Guy
It probably started at $55 but then he thought "You know what? F&*$ them. 1 dollar extra. pwned noobs."
That bastard...
I think Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine started in college
I highly recommend that everyone interested in making money online join this site.

<3
do u think that someone who starts late has any chance in the buisness? as a solo guitarist or playing in a band... and i mean in a sucessfull way, not in a crappy band
Quote by hendrix_18
do u think that someone who starts late has any chance in the buisness? as a solo guitarist or playing in a band... and i mean in a sucessfull way, not in a crappy band

i think so, but it would be more difficult for sure

i started at 16, which isn't horrible, but not great
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
Hendrix got his first real guitar at the age of 11 but he had a crap ukulele when he was 10... I believe it only had one string.
Hai UG!
Wes Montgomery (jazz guitarist) started when he was 18, I believe.
Hi, I'm Peter
^Well I heard that he got one at age 11, from his dad, in an interview from one of my DVD's, and his dad was the one who bought it for him. Maybe he got his first electric at the age of 15.
Hai UG!
Jack Black- 18
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Yeah, but he also plays in Tenacious D. He's friends with Dave Grohl, who was the devil the the "Tribute" video. Both were featured in the Eagles of Death Metal song/video "(Want You) So Hard"

EDIT: Dave Grohl started guitar and bass in high school, I believe.
Hey man dont feal inferior, playing the guitar is about having fun, its not a race.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
when did kurt cobain start palying?
zakk wylde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by sloppyjoe24
you can't trust girls on the internet because 75% of the time, they're actually men!
^i think in junior high
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I didnt start till i was 18...and im 19 now, lol...not saying im a good guitarist or anything.

Just saying that I share the same thoughts as you...i always wanted to play the guitar, it actually wasnt until I found out my girlfriend cheated on me, and I dumped her...and all of a sudden I had a **** load of free time on my hands...

"hey dad im bored, can you get me a guitar for xmas?"
I definately wish I started at the beginning of highschool instead of the end. I wish I could have come to college and had found a band or something to play and that i was comfortable playing in front of people.

But sadly I am just not starting to learn some solo's and im still so slow...
Joe Walsh from The Eagles started in college

he's pretty good
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
what the hells junior high

Quote by sloppyjoe24
you can't trust girls on the internet because 75% of the time, they're actually men!
Junior high is like grade 6-8 or something, so like 11-14 years old or so. Don't worry if you're too old to make it big, because it is very rare to make it big, just work on becoming a good player and learning one thing at a time, that way you will always be satisfied and have a realistic goal.
I think Jimmy Page was around 13.
I got my first guitar when I was 14 but I only started playing seriously at 15.( I'm not very good)

Really though as stated before it's all about having fun.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
ahhh i see wel im 14 anyway lol i may have a chance lol

Quote by sloppyjoe24