It's not like I'm in band or anything, but since a few of my friends are musicians, I think it would be necessary (since none of them are bassists) to know if there is a way to make my guitar (a cheap little squire strat) sound like a bass, if we were to ever get together and jam sometime, as I've gotten good enough to do so recently. Plus, I really want to learn Flea's part in Higher Ground.
Get an octave pedal
"He remembered that they were but flesh, a passing breeze that does not return"
What I do (I play on a Squier Strat) is just turn my pickup selector and tone knobs to the lowest channel/setting, and then turn down the treble on the amp and up the bass. It doesn't sound like an actual bass, but its a very bassy sound.
just buy a second hand bass
i bought mine for 80CAD which is probly like 60USA
Epiphone Les Paul Special 2
Samick Corsair (custom evh paint job)
Bever Creek Acoustic
Boss DS-1
Behringer Bx108
Behringer Kx1200
^Yeah, since Higher Ground uses Slapping and popping, and that is very hard to do n a guitar.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
is there settings you have to set on an octave to get the sound?
I was living a lie, now I'm dying to know the truth...
if u havnt yet, learn to palm mute. it makes the guitar sound very bassy on high distortion
The 60s are gone, dope will never be as cheap, sex never as free, and the rock and roll never as great.
Wow! Noobs giving noobs advice Except for Gabel and The Godfather. Try dropping the tuning on your guitar, which will require higher gauge strings if you plan to drop really low.
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Last edited by toxicity33 at Aug 10, 2006,
Quote by toxicity33
Wow! Noobs giving noobs advice Except for Gabel and The Godfather. Try dropping the tuning on your guitar, which will require higher gauge strings if you plan to drop really low.

Something like Drop B. You can get away easily with it with a set of Ernie Ball Beefy slinkies. But get a setup though! I got a set of these (or almost, I didn't liked the 22 gauge plain 3rd string so I put a 18 gauge instead, but hey that's just me). I got them setted up and there's very low to almost no fret buzz and the action is kinda low too.
Quote by toxicity33

WOWZAH! A noob calling someone else a noob! Drop tuning will give you a deeper tone but at what cost? The pay off doesn't seem good enough to me. If you want a bass sound from your guitar then good luck, you probably won't get it. However if you want a deeper tone then up the bass on your amp. Nice chunky stuff.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
WOWZAH! A noob calling someone else a noob! Drop tuning will give you a deeper tone but at what cost? The pay off doesn't seem good enough to me. If you want a bass sound from your guitar then good luck, you probably won't get it. However if you want a deeper tone then up the bass on your amp. Nice chunky stuff.

So explain the cost
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Quote by toxicity33
So explain the cost

u just pwned him.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
u just pwned him.

Do you mean that he pwned me or i pwned him lol, i'm high and confused lollylops
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Probobly because the OP said he wants to make his electric guitar sound like a bass.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Quote by Viruk
Probobly because the OP said he wants to make his electric guitar sound like a bass.

Which is impossible without cranking the bass on your amp and detuning, somebody understands good work man

virtual high-five
-Tox

ಠ_ಠ
WHOT?
Get thick strings.
Turn the bass to max on eq
Downtune a lot.
Get thicker strings
Get an octaver pedal
downtune more
even thicker strings.
if you wanna do fleas part in higher ground on your strat, thats impossible.
i play bass aswell, and that part is all slapped and guitar strings just arent thick enough to do it.
so youre gonna have to get a cheap bass.
if you just wanna sound like a bass then an octave pedal is highly suggested. and if you wanna do bass techniques then a second hand bass will be needed. but i highly doubt that so you could just get a octave pedal