Im Building a new bass guitar from scratch. Its a 5-string fretless built from a fender neck and an Ibanez guitar body. I have everything together exept the pickups. I decided since I had passive pickups on my other bass I was going to put active pickups on this one. But I dont know anything about active pickups. I know I need a preamp but does this have to be onboard or can I use an external preamp. I have everything on my bass but all my electronics. can somebody break it down and tell me exactly what else I need to create my own active bass.
well, you dont need active pickups to have an onboard preamp (active EQ)...Actually, the majority of basses with onboard preamps have passive pickups...The batteries that go into those "active basses" are used to power the active EQ only, not the pickups...."active bass" doesnt mean it has active pickups...

just clearing that up, I'm not entirely sure what you need to do to install the active pickups though I'm pretty sure you'll need to have 2 batteries in your bass - one to power the pickups and one to power the active preamp...I dont think you need the preamp though..

sorry but thats all i know
"All matter is merely energy condensed into a slow vibration and we're all one consciousness experiencing ourselves subjectively, theres no such thing as death, life is just a dream and we're the imagination of ourselves."
Quote by basswizz89
Im Building a new bass guitar from scratch. Its a 5-string fretless built from a fender neck and an Ibanez guitar body. I have everything together exept the pickups. I decided since I had passive pickups on my other bass I was going to put active pickups on this one. But I dont know anything about active pickups. I know I need a preamp but does this have to be onboard or can I use an external preamp. I have everything on my bass but all my electronics. can somebody break it down and tell me exactly what else I need to create my own active bass.
Quite frankly I believe that a preamp is of more use than active pickups, with a preamp you can shape as well as boost your signal.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn